If you turn off 5G on a phone does 5G emission stop?

GarryWshld

Nov 24, 2022
Visit site
Hi!
There is no 5G in my country, and so far I haven't seen conclusive studies on the harm of 5Gs.
So I'd rather not use 5G smartphone at all for now. However, it's getting hard to get a good deal on a phone without 5G.
So, the question is: if I manually switch off 5G in the settings - will my smartphone will be like a 4G smartphone or will it still use some of 5G technologies?
I'd be grateful for straightforward answers without the dispute of 5G harmfulness. Thank you.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
If you mean the 5G radio transmission, I don’t know. Unless someone else here does, it may be worth asking the manufacturer, who would certainly understand how these things work.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
So, if you don't want the "dispute" about the "harmfullness" of 5G, why even post that part? why not leave it at there being no 5G in your country? SMH

It *should* be completely off, but we can't give guarantees without testing the equipment... and if you don't believe testing anyway that would be pointless.

Probably best to wear a tinfoil hat, just to be on the safe side.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Couldn't it also be argued that since there is nothing to transmit the waves, there is no theoretical danger? The 5G chip in the phone captures the signal, not emits them.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Couldn't it also be argued that since there is nothing to transmit the waves, there is no theoretical danger? The 5G chip in the phone captures the signal, not emits them.

No, mobile phones are transceivers. They have to be able to transmit a signal as well as receive one or you would never be able to speak to anyone on the phone only hear them and you would never be able to request a website.

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Hi!
There is no 5G in my country, and so far I haven't seen conclusive studies on the harm of 5Gs.
There have been conclusive studies. Just because they didn't confirm your preconceived fears or internet bred conspiracies doesn't make them any less true.

5G itself is simply a different data format - just like MP3 or Flac are different audio compression formats. The signals used to transmit that format are all well below dangerous ionizing EM frequencies. And all within existing transmission frequencies used for years all around the world (and around you) by aviation and maritime transmissions, particularly with the higher ones. Many of the lower 5G bands are just re-farmed existing 3G and 4G bands that you seem to not have a problem with.

Even with the higher millimeter wave bands - those are only good for few 100 feet or so, and the leaves of a tree can block them, so how dangerous can those really be? The limited range is why you really only see those used in indoor sports arenas or dense downtown areas. Ever hear of satellite TV? They use those frequencies and are being beamed at a much higher power to the ground 24 hours a day.

All of 5G falls well below visible light, so if you are worried about even the higher mm-wave 5G, don't turn on your lights in your house. Those are orders of magnitude higher EM frequencies - something you can actually see bouncing off the walls.

It's the ionizing radiation - frequencies that start at the other end of visible light starting at UV then going into x-ray and then gamma rays - that you need to really worry about. Those are the high energy frequencies that begin to penetrate objects again by knocking off electrons along the way.

GarryWshld

Nov 24, 2022
Visit site
Thank you for a detailed reply.
I will have to get back later with some information.

But what about the question I asked. If you have some knowledge of physics and technologies.
Will there be transmission of 5G frequencies if I a) have disabled 5G in phone preferences b) have no 5G sim card installed c) have no mobile carrier that supports 5G in the area at all?

This answer will help me much more at the moment, even though you might think otherwise.

GarryWshld

Nov 24, 2022
Visit site
As I understand, smartphone that supports 5G enables this function through SoC which is a part of mobile phone's processor by using certain 5G frequencies and protocols. So, if I'm not using 5G it will not use those frequencies that are used only by 5G?

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
As I understand, smartphone that supports 5G enables this function through SoC which is a part of mobile phone's processor by using certain 5G frequencies and protocols. So, if I'm not using 5G it will not use those frequencies that are used only by 5G?
I'm not positive, but in a network connection - which is what you have with your carrier with a mobile connection, there is constant tx and rx (transmit and receive) traffic. Packets sent back and forth checking the connection status and strength. Then you have the constant data stream from various apps checking on notifications, background updating, whatever.

On a phone with multiple network type protocols enabled, it generally would only broadcast back with the compatible protocol from a known network it initially detects. Then, there's a back and forth as the network has to determine from the phone if it, or the SIM that's inserted, is one that belongs on that network and allow it to logon.

Pretty sure once one connection is made, it won't broadcast in another network mode. Not unless it receives such a signal that is stronger from the same carrier. Then it would switch over, but not beforehand. And the phone would have to receive that signal first.

Many phones allow you to use only specific network protocols if you wish. 2G only. 2G/3G, 3G/4G, all up to 5G. Samsung does for sure. However, some carriers like AT&T and Verizon block that section in Settings so you can't turn off the 5G. At least there is an app that restores what they hide.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk