I'm back with the G4 after a week with the iPhone 6 Plus

quynhuong

Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
I had posted on a different thread about whether I should get the G4, and despite the encouraging feedback, I went and upgraded from a GS4 to an iPhone 6 Plus purely because I thought it’d be more convenient since the rest of my family are iPhone users. Yeah I returned it and went with the G4 thanks to Verizon’s 14 day return policy. And I have to say, I’m in love.

First thing’s first. Size. I thought I’d be able to handle the 6+ because I held my sister’s (who is 4’10 and I’m 5 feet) and I didn’t seem to be troubled by it. I was wrong. The thing is huggeeee, and even though I had a thin case on it, it still felt like I could knock someone out with it. It was so unwieldy. I did like the screen size though. When I switched to the G4, it was such a relief. This phone is a 5.5 incher, but it doesn’t feel like one in the hand (that’s what she said). It’s so much more compact and I can actually use this one handed. The curves also help. I thought the thinness of the iPhone would be an advantage but I was wrong. The G4 is thicker, but sooo much more comfortable. The back button placement is also nice, and I’m finding myself reaching for back buttons on my sister’s phone.

I’m also finding myself trying to use tap to wake on my sister’s phone. During my time with the iPhone, I found myself missing Android’s flexibility, even not being able to arrange my apps as I please on my home screens. There’s not much to say other than the fact that my heart belongs with Android.

In my previous post, I was concerned the issues people had found with the G4, and I’d like to say something. Yes, the G4 does lag and stutter. However, it’s small and it honestly doesn’t bother me at all. It sounds a lot worse online. I learned to love the phone for what it is and it’s perfect for me. Yeah, the battery life isn’t as great as the 6+’s, but it can easily last me a day and I wont have to worry about it dying on me when I’m out.

If you have any questions then please don’t hesitate to ask!

JAG21979

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
Glad you like your G4! I haven't experienced any lag since I installed Nova Prime. Best all around Android device!

Posted on my LG G4 via the Android Central App

dungoyle

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
LG really makes 5.5 inches work. I don't see how I could possibly go any larger that that with any level of comfort, and I don't think just anyone can make 5.5 work either. As mentioned, the curvature, and button placement on the back both contribute to making this screen size manageable for an average user. I haven't used the plastic backed phones, but I suspect that the leather backs also contribute to user comfort. My Turbo had a 5.2 inch screen, and was oh so slightly narrower (but notably shorter); however, it was very noticeably heavier, and as a result, the G4 is more comfortable to me than my "smaller" Turbo.

I can't even imagine carrying and using a phone with a 6 inch screen. I realize that the G4 is getting very close to the phablet category, but I think it avoids it by careful design decisions, and I don't ever see me carrying one of those.

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
I haven't experienced any lag since I installed Nova Prime. Best all around Android device!

Agree and agree. After fiddling with the settings, tweaking here and there, I pretty much have this phone where I want it and it's outstanding. Great decision to get this one.

jlost

Trusted Member
Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
I don't get lag and I don't use this nova launcher. Although I clear the recent apps every so often.

wrich2005

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
My g4 is the most fluid android device I've used. I do miss the quality of all the iOS apps, iCloud backup, reminders and notes apps though. I use my phone to tether (unlimited VZW plan baby!), and torrent with it. So I gotta stick with Android, and G4 has been my favorite so far..

GTS21

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
I've never experienced any lag on my G4. Just the random heating up. But overall I'm a fan. Doesn't mean I'm not closely watching the Note 5 and Moto X Style forums though...lol

jlost

Trusted Member
Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
You want to talk about lag? I had a Note 2 for 3 yrs. That phone was great but there was lag on that phone. I love how smooth and fast this phone is. To make my Note 2 faster and less leggy I removed all the animations that are in I think the developers section in the settings. I did that with the g4 I currently have now just for a safe bet.

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Since you are comparing the G4 with the 6+, I'll interject. My experience was almost 180 degrees opposite of yours, but I still have the LG G4 instead of the iPhone 6+

1. The size, although I really thought it would, did not bother me on the iPhone 6+. In fact, it was the same experience for me as the G4. I really don't feel any difference in size between the two.
  2. Android lag is bad. I don't know which carrier version you have, but the Verizon version is horrendous! Especially when comparing it to the iPhone. I went from no lag to nothing but lag and force closing apps. It'll take quite a few updates for the apps to stop force closing. That's something that rarely happened on the 6+ for me.
  3. Battery life is a huge difference. I cannot make it a full day on the G4. It must be plugged in on the way home to make it through the evening. On the iPhone I only charged it every other day. I maybe had to charge it at night if I did use the hotspot a lot, but I never got below 35% on any one day with the 6+.
  4. Qi charging. Here's where Apple is missing the boat. If you haven't stuck a Qi sticker on your G4, go get one now! You can pick one up off Amazon for $7 and a Qi charger for $25. This is the greatest invention and why Apple isn't doing it astounds me.
  5. Hotspot. Android does the hotspot perfectly. Apple works great if it's another iOS device, but anything else cannot keep a signal with the iPhone hotspot. (I have to have a working hotspot for all devices to connect to, and this is why I am no longer an Apple owner.)
  6. I'm mixed on the back buttons. I love the placement and they work perfectly for me, but I was able to use a credit card holder case with my iPhone and didn't have to carry a wallet. I cannot do this with the G4 because of the back buttons.
  7. Double tap to wake wasn't missed on the iPhone for me, because the fingerprint reader worked so well. My iPhone was actually more secure, because I loved using my thumb to unlock the device and pay for apps if I wanted them. With all of my Android phones, I never set a passcode because it's a pain to me, but placing my thumb on the home button to unlock, priceless. Apple knows how to read a fingerprint.

In conclusion, the lag and Android experience will improve with later updates to 5.0, so we do have that to look forward to. Eventually the G4 will be decent compared to my iPhone 6+.

wrich2005

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
Since you are comparing the G4 with the 6+, I'll interject. My experience was almost 180 degrees opposite of yours, but I still have the LG G4 instead of the iPhone 6+

1. The size, although I really thought it would, did not bother me on the iPhone 6+. In fact, it was the same experience for me as the G4. I really don't feel any difference in size between the two.
  2. Android lag is bad. I don't know which carrier version you have, but the Verizon version is horrendous! Especially when comparing it to the iPhone. I went from no lag to nothing but lag and force closing apps. It'll take quite a few updates for the apps to stop force closing. That's something that rarely happened on the 6+ for me.
  3. Battery life is a huge difference. I cannot make it a full day on the G4. It must be plugged in on the way home to make it through the evening. On the iPhone I only charged it every other day. I maybe had to charge it at night if I did use the hotspot a lot, but I never got below 35% on any one day with the 6+.
  4. Qi charging. Here's where Apple is missing the boat. If you haven't stuck a Qi sticker on your G4, go get one now! You can pick one up off Amazon for $7 and a Qi charger for $25. This is the greatest invention and why Apple isn't doing it astounds me.
  5. Hotspot. Android does the hotspot perfectly. Apple works great if it's another iOS device, but anything else cannot keep a signal with the iPhone hotspot. (I have to have a working hotspot for all devices to connect to, and this is why I am no longer an Apple owner.)
  6. I'm mixed on the back buttons. I love the placement and they work perfectly for me, but I was able to use a credit card holder case with my iPhone and didn't have to carry a wallet. I cannot do this with the G4 because of the back buttons.
  7. Double tap to wake wasn't missed on the iPhone for me, because the fingerprint reader worked so well. My iPhone was actually more secure, because I loved using my thumb to unlock the device and pay for apps if I wanted them. With all of my Android phones, I never set a passcode because it's a pain to me, but placing my thumb on the home button to unlock, priceless. Apple knows how to read a fingerprint.

In conclusion, the lag and Android experience will improve with later updates to 5.0, so we do have that to look forward to. Eventually the G4 will be decent compared to my iPhone 6+.

I could not agree more. I came from a 6+and my iPhone couldn't tether worth a crap that's why I switched back. I need my tether man!

Posted via the Android Central App

quynhuong

Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
That's so interesting! Maybe I got a bad unit but my finger print scanner wasn't as accurate as I thought it'd be. That could also be because I work in a kitchen so my hands were mucky. I also did experience stutters and all crashes on the iPhone, though not as much as the g4. But, android just feels right to me I guess haha. This is why I think phone wars at useless because its all opinion and experienxe as far as what phones works for you and one person could feel differently than another!

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
That's so interesting! Maybe I got a bad unit but my finger print scanner wasn't as accurate as I thought it'd be. That could also be because I work in a kitchen so my hands were mucky. I also did experience stutters and all crashes on the iPhone, though not as much as the g4. But, android just feels right to me I guess haha. This is why I think phone wars at useless because its all opinion and experienxe as far as what phones works for you and one person could feel differently than another!

Phone wars are worthless. Just get what you know and want, or "need" and want in my case :D

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm on Verizon also and no lag. But I keep seeing people saying they have lag on especially in Verizon.

That's good but always remember not everyone will have your experience. It seems to be hit and miss with Verizon units from what I've seen on the forums.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
one01