I'm happy about the gesture navigation.

milehigherik

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Folks are so quick to complain about new and exciting features. Gesture navigation prevents having to reach the entire screen to go back etc.. Nice addition in my mind.

I'm tired of hearing of this silly Notch.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Folks are so quick to complain about new and exciting features. Gesture navigation prevents having to reach the entire screen to go back etc.. Nice addition in my mind.

It's human nature and at some point we all do it, however sometimes it's perverted to excess.

For me the Pixel 2XL is the perfect phone.
The Pixel 3XL will be even better except I hate glass backs.

milehigherik

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I went back and forth for many months. I absolutely love the latest greatest newest things. However the biggest mistake I've made in a long time was getting rid of my pixel 2 XL. And in that time I have had an S9 Plus, lgv30, LG G7 and also screwed around with an iPhone 8 plus for a little bit. Nothing comes close and nothing compares to the pixel 2 XL. the only reason I got rid of the phone was because of the IP67 water-resistant. I am in and around water very often so water resistance is very important to me.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I went back and forth for many months. I absolutely love the latest greatest newest things. However the biggest mistake I've made in a long time was getting rid of my pixel 2 XL. And in that time I have had an S9 Plus, lgv30, LG G7 and also screwed around with an iPhone 8 plus for a little bit. Nothing comes close and nothing compares to the pixel 2 XL. the only reason I got rid of the phone was because of the IP67 water-resistant. I am in and around water very often so water resistance is very important to me.

I hear you but there isn't much difference between IP67 and IP68

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

I have been using Android P since the beta and I have gotten used to them. They aren't bad.

Complaints about the notch / gestures will continue before and after the phone release. It happened with iPhone as well. People just don't like change so they freak before even trying something out. I have been guilty of it before. Humans will be humans.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I have been using Android P since the beta and I have gotten used to them. They aren't bad.

Complaints about the notch / gestures will continue before and after the phone release. It happened with iPhone as well. People just don't like change so they freak before even trying something out. I have been guilty of it before. Humans will be humans.

I have been using the gestures for months also. I see zero benefit, literally zero. The gestures are fine and I am used to them. But they provide absolutely no benefit to my daily use. I picked up my wife's phone and it was a relief to have a multi-task button again. Sliding some of the way up, but not all the way up is no benefit compared to tapping a button IMO. Sometimes I go too far, sometimes I have to go slower, so I don't go too far and get the all apps screen, etc. It's fine really, but still..

Often people complain for all new stuff. However, sometimes the new "features" offer no improvement or regression, and we end up with change-for-the-sake-of-change things. In which case, it may need to be called out.

Bottom line for me is choice. If Google allows us to choose one or the other, great. If not and they force this on us, then not so great.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I have been using the gestures for months also. I see zero benefit, literally zero. The gestures are fine and I am used to them. But they provide absolutely no benefit to my daily use. I picked up my wife's phone and it was a relief to have a multi-task button again. Sliding some of the way up, but not all the way up is no benefit compared to tapping a button IMO. Sometimes I go too far, or if not I have to gl slower so I don't go too far and get the all apps screen, etc. It's fine really, but still..

Sometimes people complain for all new stuff, sometimes though the new "features" offer no improvement or regression, and we end up with change-for-the-sake-of-change things. In which case, it may need to be called out.

Bottom line for me is choice. If Google allows us to choose one or the other, great. If not and they force this on us, then not so great.

It will just be by default. See below.

Update: Android Central has revised its piece to note that “future Google phones… will ship with gesture navigation turned on by default.” This leaves open the possibility that the three-button navigation system will remain a user accessible option for the moment, though Google is clearly prioritizing gesture nav moving forward.

Source: https://9to5google.com/2018/08/06/google-pixel-3-android-pie-gesture-navigation/

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Right, "on by default" implies we can disable it if we want. I guess we will see. It's not that bad really IMO, it's just not that great either.

chevyman29

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
whenever they do away with the buttons all together I guess i'll only be looking at phones that still offer them . for myself I appreciate the fact that Samsung allows you to customize the buttons any way you want. google really really wants to be apple.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Right, "on by default" implies we can disable it if we want. I guess we will see. It's not that bad really IMO, it's just not that great either.

Well I would hope those that want it would be happy with having the option. They are changing and going forward so by default they will have that set but if they give you the option .. I really struggle to see a complaint since you can go back to the old way.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Well I would hope those that want it would be happy with having the option. They are changing and going forward so by default they will have that set but if they give you the option .. I really struggle to see a complaint since you can go back to the old way.

All true. As long as the option is there.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

They not complaining that gestures are here, they don't like how it's done . Take for example the iPhone x or one plus 6 they have gestures but do it in a way that helps you navigate faster . Google needs to do it better that's all . By the way I have 2 phones with the notch and I like how 1+6 does it , iPhone x is too big of a notch

Last edited:

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
They not complaining that gestures are here, they don't like how it's done . Take for example the iPhone x or one plus 6 they have gestures but do it in a way that helps you navigate faster . Google needs to do it better that's all . By the way I have 2 phones with the notch and I like how 1+6 does it , iPhone x is too big of a notch

While what you are saying about the reaction to gestures is true, I and some others don't have an issue with the way it works. Can't go by me as a guide because I just adapt to things. I also use an iPhone X on occasion and I don't see a big adavantage in either direction.

Last edited:

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
While what you are saying about the reaction to gestures is true, I and some others don't have an issue with the way it works. Can't go be me as a guide because I just adapt to things. I also use an iPhone X on occasion and I don't see a big adavantage in either direction.

I know some here like it that's cool , but its nothing to adapt it's not like they change the whole operating system and I have to learn it. Just saying it's not thought out well, I'm sure they will change it . But I'm fine with the buttons at least they left the option until they figure it out otherwise I love this phone and will keep it probably until the 4th one.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I know some here like it that's cool , but its nothing to adapt it's not like they change the whole operating system and I have to learn it. Just saying it's not thought out well, I'm sure they will change it . But I'm fine with the buttons at least they left the option until they figure it out otherwise I love this phone and will keep it probably until the 4th one.

Honestly trying to figure why I should leave the 2XL for the 3XL. Unless there is something special about the camera I can't think of why I should upgrade. The glass and wireless charging doesn't do it for me. Then there's the fact that we have a two year warranty on the 2 series.

Having said that I may upgrade anyway...lol

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Honestly trying to figure why I should leave the 2XL for the 3XL. Unless there is something special about the camera I can't think of why I should upgrade. The glass and wireless charging doesn't do it for me. Then there's the fact that we have a two year warranty on the 2 series.

Having said that I may upgrade anyway...lol

The pixel 3 didn't wow me from the 2xl
I'm curious how the 2 selfie camera are going to perform. I dont like glass back either but it's only way for wireless charging which I do like alot . Have you heard of the pixel 3 will support wireless charging?

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
The pixel 3 didn't wow me from the 2xl
I'm curious how the 2 selfie camera are going to perform. I dont like glass back either but it's only way for wireless charging which I do like alot . Have you heard of the pixel 3 will support wireless charging?

As far as I know the 3 should support wireless charging.

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
I'm taking the gestures feature as a good first step with room to improve. Transitioning from the three buttons will undoubtedly be challenging for the masses. Lot of push back from the majority, I think, for a while.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I'm taking the gestures feature as a good first step with room to improve. Transitioning from the three buttons will undoubtedly be challenging for the masses. Lot of push back from the majority, I think, for a while.

I first use them in my iPhone x and liked it , then the one plus 6 was good too , and when the pixel started it in beta I was like what the hell was that. Thought as the beta moved along they try different things with it , but Google looked to have their minds set from the start that's what they wanted