I'm Holding Off on Pie for Substratum

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I've really enjoyed the Pixel 2 XL up to this point. One of the big reasons is the ability to use rootless Substratum overlays to personalize the phone. My Pixel is almost completely blacked out (not that half-assed app drawer and notification tiles only nonsense).

Pie takes away this ability unless you're rooted (I have a Verizon P2XL so I can't root). So, I've been declining the option to upgrade to Pie.

I am missing out on the August security patch because of this, and obviously would miss later monthly patches, as well.

I'm stalling, but figure I can't forever.

Anyone here use rootless Substratum? What have you done (upgrade or wait)? If you're on Verizon or are unrooted otherwise and upgraded to Pie, did you try Substratum afterward anyway (one of my themes has updated for the Pie OS)?

Just wondering how others are dealing with this. The ability to black (or at least dark) out my phone is very important to me.

Last edited:

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
I planned on sticking with Oreo for rootless substratum but ended up taking the Pie update the day it was available. I'm pretty pleased with the decision since Pie includes so many improvements. So far I've noticed battery life is clearly better on Pie, adaptive brightness works really well, do not disturb has more options, BT volume is saved for each paired device, tapping battery in status bar opens battery settings, tapping time in status bar opens clock app and battery saver can be adjusted from 5-75%.

Last edited:

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback, SactoKingsFan. Most of the things you mention after battery life aren't that essential to me. I use a third party app to get better adaptive brightness, the 8.1 DND options meet my needs, I've historically hated BT, etc.

That stuff isn't meaningless to me, though. Obviously, it's better to not need third party apps to make up for limitations of an OS. The convenience of the clock and battery shortcuts is nice, too.

I know that in reality I'm just hoping for a loophole. One I'm pretty sure won't come.

Thanks again.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Following up on my OP with another question.

Is there a point where I won't be able to refuse the Pie uodate anymore? I'm sure it isn't just going to brute install itself without my approval, but will the nags get more frequent to the point I go slowly insane?

Right now I swipe away the notification once a day and have no problem doing that.

As in the OP, I realize I'm also refusing security patches, etc. I'm wondering more about the mechanics of the update notifications.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davisongeorge