I'm thinking on getting a xoom but I'm a little confused?

Liljoepr

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Ok so I want to get the xoom but I want to know if I need to get like a 2yr contract with verizon? Or is it like the iPad that you buy it and you just need to chose a data plan and pay for it right from the iPad and you don't have to worry about canceling your contract? Thanks a lot for your help guys :)

jaeisber

May 25, 2010
Visit site
You can do either. You can get it on contract for 599 or month to month for 799. However, if you go month to month and cancel your data, you will be charged an activation fee each time you want to reactivate your data service.

Live2ride883

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
My data usage varies a lot from month to month on my Droid X, to be safe I am just gonna get the 3GB 35.00 data plan, it seems to be the best "value".

I am getting my activation fee waived as well.

ckeegan003

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
You can do either. You can get it on contract for 599 or month to month for 799. However, if you go month to month and cancel your data, you will be charged an activation fee each time you want to reactivate your data service.
That's actually not Verizon's policy. The activation charge is for establishing a new line of service. If you discontinued data use, and then restarted it, you should not be charged another activation fee since you would not be establishing a new line of service. This is how it has been done with the Galaxy Tab and iPad/MiFi. I have verified this with my Verizon rep, as well as Verizon customer service (see attached).

Best Buy is claiming multiple activation fees, because if you cancel the service within the first two months, they do not get their commission (aka bounty). They probably figure if they tell people that there are multiple activation fees, people won't figure out that they are lying until they've already received their bounty from Verizon.

Also, it's important to note that the activation fee and prorated data charges are refundable if you cancel the data service within 3 days.

zmenchhofer

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Do you plan on keeping the data always on though? He may comp the first activation but when you cancel it and reactivate it when you need it, you will be charged another activation fee.

not sure if i will cancel the data plan..... i might suspend the data plan so it keeps it active but not paying for it or usable.

anon(52425)

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
That's actually not Verizon's policy. The activation charge is for establishing a new line of service. If you discontinued data use, and then restarted it, you should not be charged another activation fee since you would not be establishing a new line of service. This is how it has been done with the Galaxy Tab and iPad/MiFi. I have verified this with my Verizon rep, as well as Verizon customer service (see attached).

Best Buy is claiming multiple activation fees, because if you cancel the service within the first two months, they do not get their commission (aka bounty). They probably figure if they tell people that there are multiple activation fees, people won't figure out that they are lying until they've already received their bounty from Verizon.

Also, it's important to note that the activation fee and prorated data charges are refundable if you cancel the data service within 3 days.

its not just best buy claiming this. Verizon is also saying this. I brought up what you keep saying and Verizon considers each time you start up the data on the device, as a "new" activation. Doesn't matter if you say have service in march, cancel at the end of the month and start up again in may or June. They see you cancellig as a complete termination of service.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OCD