Impossible to unlock Motorola Defy

Tamas Mahner

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
Dear Users,

I have been trying to solve this problem for 24 hours without sleeping. I would like to install a new version of android, preferably 4.3 Jelly Bean. I'm quite new in this but looked for answers in many-many forums.
My issue is that first I have to unlock my mobile phone, but when I start the phone with the bootloader it doesn't work, does not see my device so I can not go further to root the phone and then install the OS.

My phone doesn't have sd and sim card inside, usb debugging is ENABLED, windows 7 is 64 bit.

I follow these instructions to install the OS: How to install Android 4.3 Jelly Bean on Motorola Defy
I follow these instrucions to unlock my phone: https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/standalone/bootloader/unlock-your-device-b

Based on this, when I go to the command prompt and put the magical command - fastboot oem get_unlock_data - it all the time stops at < waiting for device >.
I check with adb devices or fastboot devices and it only identifies my phone when it was started normally. When I start with fastboot or bootloader (volume up + power button) it never sees my device.

The USB driver I use is coming from this file: Motorola_End_User_Driver_Installation_5.1.0_64bit.msi when I install it it seems working but bootloader still do not see the device. :(

I also tried to install the new MotoCast since it has usb drivers, but no success.

I suspect the problem is somehow that the USB driver of the bootloader mode (s flash omap3630 driver) is not working properly and that's why the bootloader doesn't see the device.

Do you have any suggestion how to solve the problem? Did you ever meet the same one?

Thank you in advance!

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Dear Users,

I have been trying to solve this problem for 24 hours without sleeping. I would like to install a new version of android, preferably 4.3 Jelly Bean. I'm quite new in this but looked for answers in many-many forums.
My issue is that first I have to unlock my mobile phone, but when I start the phone with the bootloader it doesn't work, does not see my device so I can not go further to root the phone and then install the OS.

My phone doesn't have sd and sim card inside, usb debugging is ENABLED, windows 7 is 64 bit.

I follow these instructions to install the OS: How to install Android 4.3 Jelly Bean on Motorola Defy
I follow these instrucions to unlock my phone: https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/standalone/bootloader/unlock-your-device-b

Based on this, when I go to the command prompt and put the magical command - fastboot oem get_unlock_data - it all the time stops at < waiting for device >.
I check with adb devices or fastboot devices and it only identifies my phone when it was started normally. When I start with fastboot or bootloader (volume up + power button) it never sees my device.

The USB driver I use is coming from this file: Motorola_End_User_Driver_Installation_5.1.0_64bit.msi when I install it it seems working but bootloader still do not see the device. :(

I also tried to install the new MotoCast since it has usb drivers, but no success.

I suspect the problem is somehow that the USB driver of the bootloader mode (s flash omap3630 driver) is not working properly and that's why the bootloader doesn't see the device.

Do you have any suggestion how to solve the problem? Did you ever meet the same one?

Thank you in advance!

I have never tried to root a Motorola. I know they can be a pain. I would try these: update your drivers for your device on your PC, change USB ports, or different cables.

Sent from a SlimROM S3.

Tamas Mahner

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
Thank you very much for the fast reply! I tried changing the USB cable, also the slots, but no success. I'm sure I just have to find the proper driver which fits somehow...

Any suggestion which driver should I use?

T

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Thank you very much for the fast reply! I tried changing the USB cable, also the slots, but no success. I'm sure I just have to find the proper driver which fits somehow...

Any suggestion which driver should I use?

T

Those should be the official ones from Motorola. Search Google for Motorola Drivers for PC and you should be good to go.

Tamas Mahner

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
I use the newest version of the official Motorola drivers. It is inbuilt to the Device Manager I downloaded from the official website. Unfortunately it is not working. Maybe I have to try old drivers.. However the drivers ar designed for 64 bit OS.

Thank you for the welcome! :)

Those should be the official ones from Motorola. Search Google for Motorola Drivers for PC and you should be good to go.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I use the newest version of the official Motorola drivers. It is inbuilt to the Device Manager I downloaded from the official website. Unfortunately it is not working. Maybe I have to try old drivers.. However the drivers ar designed for 64 bit OS.

Thank you for the welcome! :)

You are welcome.
That might work. However, Motorolas were one of the hardest devices to unlock. Even worse if you were on certain carriers. Verizon loves to encrypt bootloaders to stop users from rooting their devices.

Tamas Mahner

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site

Tamas Mahner

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
Okay! I got further. There is no way to unlock Defy. It is not supported by the company. What I can do that I risk to flahs new rom which has fastboot option so I can proceed... At leat this is what I did. Now the phone doesn't even switch on. :D:D So I try to findan .sbf file which would recover the phone with RSDLite. :)

Yes I understand. But this site: https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/standalone/bootloader/unlock-your-device-b seems official explaining how to unlock the phone. So it should work... :)