In a drawer...

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I actually have a wrap-around TPU protector around mine.

It's been on it for the past 5 months and it has held up really well. Barely any scratches and there weren't any bubbles.

I tried 3 cases. The one that came with the phone, and a Spigen Rugged Armor and Tough Armor. The one that came with the phone was decent but it was not grippy at all. The Rugged Armor fared better but mine usually goes in the Tough Armor.

Makes it really bulky and takes away a lot of the design aesthetics, sure, but I hate glass phones, though since most new flagships seem to be going that route, it's become a necessity for me.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Ambassador
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Interestingly my Note 8 is gathering dust too, BUT for a different reason. I also have an LG V30 which I just fell in love with! I know I'm crazy, but I really like the LG. It surprised me too! lol I DO still use the Note 8 for VR, of course I have a Daydream AND a GearVR so I can use the V30 for VR too! ;)

Last edited:

mike104393

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Like many comments here, phones are becoming more expensive and more brittle. Best investment is to purchase an premium warranty service with your carrier or with Sammy. I dropped my phone after finally taking it out of a bulky case and while waiting for my third screen protector from white stone to come home. heart sank when it happened, but premium care took care of me and sent me a replacement device within 24 hours. Lesson learned. Either way, enjoy your new phone.

jhimmel

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
I am in construction. Have a thin case on my Note 8, and no screen protector. No issues (so far). Maybe I'm due for an accident though. In all my years of using a cell phone - even in harsh construction environmet, I have never cracked a screen. I say take your Note out of the drawer and enjoy it.

bassjo

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
Knock on wood, I've had my Note 8 since September and all but two weeks of that time it has been without a screen protector, just using the Samsung Alcantara Cover and haven't had any issues, scratches, dings, cracks, etc... This is a tough phone, sure it's made with glass front and rear panels but really any modern smartphone has these panels and would crack or shatter if dropped. You're being overly cautious, of course if the Pixel works for you then get rid of the Note otherwise it's a very expensive paper weight.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Either that or a premium case (or both). The Otterbox Defender is difficult to damage a phone in (I know, I've mistreated a few phones badly and never got a scratch on the phone or the case). I've never driven over one, but that and water are probably the only things it doesn't protect a phone against. (But I still have "insurance" for the first few years.)

dlgus

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Lol. So you bought a phone. Knowing it's glass to be to scared to use it. And put a 1000 device in a drawer. Just return it or sell it then. Why keep it if your afraid to use it. I certainly don't baby my device and it works just fine. It's not broken or scratched up.

Same here. I've actually dropped this damn phone more than any other I've ever owned. It's held up like a champ, though I am considering an Otterbox. lol

srgonu

Dec 30, 2016
Visit site
To use this phone one has to appreciate its features and functionality. People who don't understand call it bloatware and prefer stock Android.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Now that I have my own Note 8s and protection I'm largely at ease with being out and about with them. Sure, I also have insurance but I don't know if it's just that I'm still in the honeymoon stage or what but I really really like these devices. Gotta keep 'em perfect. I really really like them. Much more, so far, than my iPhone Xes. The 8 is a beast. ...just does everything. I've had my share of Notes in the past so I shoulda known this. My other half loves his iPhone X and I can't convince him that Android is just more fun. He just calls me a nerdette and goes on about his business.

...but without a good case and screen protector I wouldn't be able to enjoy the phones nearly as much. Peace of mind.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Interestingly my Note 8 is gathering dust too, BUT for a different reason. I also have an LG V30 which I just fell in love with! I know I'm crazy, but I really like the LG. It surprised me too! lol I DO still use the Note 8 for VR, of course I have a Daydream AND a GearVR so I can use the V30 for VR too! ;)
Ihad a little interest in the V30 but haven't had a chance to play with it. I have the Note 8 - and have the S9Plus on preorder. When that arrives, I'll be sure to THOROUGHLY test it out before deciding to return it, or return the NOte 8.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Like many comments here, phones are becoming more expensive and more brittle. Best investment is to purchase an premium warranty service with your carrier or with Sammy. I dropped my phone after finally taking it out of a bulky case and while waiting for my third screen protector from white stone to come home. heart sank when it happened, but premium care took care of me and sent me a replacement device within 24 hours. Lesson learned. Either way, enjoy your new phone.
That's a very good response time - replacement in 24 hours. Do you have the care through Samsung directly, or through one of those 3rd party type of insurers.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Ambassador
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Ihad a little interest in the V30 but haven't had a chance to play with it. I have the Note 8 - and have the S9Plus on preorder. When that arrives, I'll be sure to THOROUGHLY test it out before deciding to return it, or return the NOte 8.

Don't get me wrong I loved the Note 8 (and my S8 before it) BUT it's just something about the V30 that keeps me using it. Might be the sound quality, and the surprisingly good picture. Also I LOVE the look of it, such a big screen in a smaller (relatively) sleeker package.