In case anyone missed it - 64GB micro SDXC cards WORKING

NZtechfreak

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Just to set the record straight wanted to let everyone know these cards are working with Android devices, despite what Sandisk has said (and what was reported here at Androidcentral).

vulcan001

Member?
Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Just read up on it. It has a hefty price tag. About $220 for one them. They must be an awesome thing to have on your phone though. Just cant imagine losing an SD card worth that much...

NZtechfreak

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Yep, hefty price at the moment for sure - same as the 32GB cards when they came out. Given how much their price has dropped over 18 months these should be becoming much more affordable in the medium term.

NZtechfreak

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Lots of people won't need this much storage (yet, the number will increase as more start to produce and consume HD media on their devices), but for those of us who do this is great in all respects except the price tag.

vulcan001

Member?
Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Yeah true. I do like having HD movie files on my phone to watch when i get bored as well as my loads of music i load onto it. My phone is my entertainment center.

vulcan001

Member?
Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Absolutely. I just wish i owned a plasma tv to plug in my phone for some movies or tv shows instead of other things. The price on these will go down as soon as the hit another mark with SD card storage. I remember when i bought an 8gb sd card when 16gb were pretty expensive still.

Krasin

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
I'd rather have one of these on my tablet. It would turn it into a beast of a movie watching device for trips. Though I could just use a USB...

NZtechfreak

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I'd rather have one of these on my tablet. It would turn it into a beast of a movie watching device for trips. Though I could just use a USB...

Certainly for mobile viewing the tablet screen is better, it just bugs me that my phone is so much more capable than my Android tablet at playing video. Even with Dice Player Android tablets struggle to playback 720p stuff smoothly, let alone 1080p. For travel I could use a USB stick with phone, just like you could with the tablet, but for everyday kinda use I don't really want to carry around all that stuff.

vulcan001

Member?
Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Yeah it is alot to carry if you think about it. A tablet is more for home use or jotting down some notes in class. Makes it easier than pen & paper. Ive seen people carrying tablets around in the bus when ive had to ride the bus & yes it is cool to have it but they look ridiculous carrying around that giant thing on a bus...

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Absolutely. I just wish i owned a plasma tv to plug in my phone for some movies or tv shows instead of other things. The price on these will go down as soon as the hit another mark with SD card storage. I remember when i bought an 8gb sd card when 16gb were pretty expensive still.

I use my phone as my media center, and, indeed have a plasma that I hook it up to. It's great. I stream wireless through my network from my computers too. I was looking into getting a media box right before I bought my phone. So, this was really convenient and saved me some cash. The only problem is some files don't like to go over the network, and, some files don't like to be played on the phone and need to be converted. But, it's worth what little work I have to do.

I only have an 8 GB card now, but, I've been waiting for a good price on a 32 GB. I think that even the 32 GB is beyond my needs, but, 64 GB is a bit of overkill for me. I don't know where I'd be going that I need 64 GB of apps, movies and music. :D

icu

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
I kind of wish some manufacturers would add 2 micro SD slots. Would Android not be able to handle two + internal storage? Could two identical cards be "seen" as 1 by Android. This would make it much cheaper to updgrade as I could buy a 2nd 16gb card rather than a 32gb card (and then try to find a use for the old 16gb)

NZtechfreak

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I kind of wish some manufacturers would add 2 micro SD slots. Would Android not be able to handle two + internal storage? Could two identical cards be "seen" as 1 by Android. This would make it much cheaper to updgrade as I could buy a 2nd 16gb card rather than a 32gb card (and then try to find a use for the old 16gb)

Great idea! Then I could have 144GB :)

hellosailor

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
If it is working in an HTC, that's great. SDXC support os going to vary, I would guess, with how each vendor has implemented file system support?

Does anyone know (actually seen & confirmed) SDXC support in the Atrix or any of the Droids?

Yes, 32GB SDHC is a lot of memory, and expensive, but it was cheaper than buying an iPod Classic and 64GB would let me carry pretty much all of my music in one device. Still for less than an iPod Classic.

--Rred

hellosailor

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
And four megs was "I'll never outgrow this" on my third computer.

You got CDs? LPs? A music library at home? Why is it at home, instead of with you wherever you are? In the car, away for a road trip, off for the weekend, stuck in a waiting room...digital music changes the whole game, the change is happening now, and 16GB is enough, if you only have 200 or so albums, and a slightly tin ear. (Amazing what really good earsets can do.)

Of course a four transistor pocket AM radio was a revolution. The Philips CarryCorder (cassettes) was a revolution. I guess this one is still "file under son of iPod". Viva la revolution!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gofuckyourselfandroid