In my personal opinion, the Galaxy S10 is the best smartphone of 2019

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I love the S10 Plus and will probably keep this at least until the 12 comes out. Phones are too expensive now anyways but I see no reason to upgrade. Have had no problems with our S10's. And yes I use the headphone jack sometimes.
Ditto for me! I especially love the battery life on the S10+, after coming from an LG V20, which didn't have great battery life, even when brand new.

DominionRoofs

Dec 14, 2016
Visit site
I love my iPhone pro max for its speed and fluidity. What I am not liking is the data reception and WiFi speed. I have been having dropped calls and low speeds everywhere. Lol what actually brought me here, and is the last straw is that I’m sitting beside someone inside a swim meet for my son where signal is always poor. I was having a hard time doing anything on my phone. I glanced at the guys phone next to me, because, well..that’s what I do. First noticed that the screen looked far superior to mine, but he was also just chugging right along browsing the internet, texting and even watching live college football, while I’m sitting here with basically a frozen phone. I notice his phone was switching from the wifi to data as needed. Suddenly my $1100 phone felt inferior and useless. He was using a Galaxy s10+.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Ditto for me! I especially love the battery life on the S10+, after coming from an LG V20, which didn't have great battery life, even when brand new.

I came from a V20 as well! High Five! :D The V20 had GREAT IDLE Battery life BUT once you started using it, it drained very quickly.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I came from a V20 as well! High Five! :D The V20 had GREAT IDLE Battery life BUT once you started using it, it drained very quickly.

I think the V30 also had very good idle battery. I know my husband's LG G7 ThinQ has amazing standby time. Better than my Pixel 2!

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Yeah. After the Pixel 4 was a confirmed flop, I'd give the phone for the year to the Galaxy S10/10+.

What I love about the phone is that it really doesn't have any flaws. There's nothing you can point to and say 'that's a mistake'. It's got a superb screen, excellent battery life, telephoto and wide angle cameras. The software is actually usable now and much better than previous TouchWiz attempts. Fingerprint scanner has gotten better over time with updates.

And I never thought I'd say this, but not getting software updates right away has actually become a benefit. Android 10 for whatever reason doesn't work with Google for work accounts, so my workplace, everyone who is on Android 10 can't get work emails, Hangouts messages etc. It's an absolute mess and Google haven't fixed it. In addition to that, if you have a work profile the new Google Assistant doesn't even work with it lol. So I'm happy being on Android 9 and actually get work emails. No idea how Google could screw this up so badly.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Yeah. After the Pixel 4 was a confirmed flop, I'd give the phone for the year to the Galaxy S10/10+.

What I love about the phone is that it really doesn't have any flaws. There's nothing you can point to and say 'that's a mistake'. It's got a superb screen, excellent battery life, telephoto and wide angle cameras. The software is actually usable now and much better than previous TouchWiz attempts. Fingerprint scanner has gotten better over time with updates.

And I never thought I'd say this, but not getting software updates right away has actually become a benefit. Android 10 for whatever reason doesn't work with Google for work accounts, so my workplace, everyone who is on Android 10 can't get work emails, Hangouts messages etc. It's an absolute mess and Google haven't fixed it. In addition to that, if you have a work profile the new Google Assistant doesn't even work with it lol. So I'm happy being on Android 9 and actually get work emails. No idea how Google could screw this up so badly.

Yikes, that's not good about your work notifications! You're right though: there is nothing about this phone that is a "whoops" or "mistake."

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I think the V30 also had very good idle battery. I know my husband's LG G7 ThinQ has amazing standby time. Better than my Pixel 2!
From my years with LG, they all mostly had great idle/standby time. I'd lose about 1-2% most during the night while I slept.

It did. The problem is the battery life wasn't so great if I actually used the phone.
Yeah, it became frustrating towards the end for me. Glad I finally made the switch back to Samsung!

werkx

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
... he was also just chugging right along browsing the internet, texting and even watching live college football, while I’m sitting here with basically a frozen phone. I notice his phone was switching from the wifi to data as needed...

This reminds me so much of when I was still on Sprint. Lots of times where I just give up and put my phone away, or check out my offline stuff while others next to me scan through their social medias and the like.

daswooski

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
This almost sounds like a deal where you had different carriers...as this happened to me when my wife had Verizon and I had AT&T and at my daughters volleyball games in a cement gymnasium I had 0 bars and she had 3 easily ... I have since switched to big red

callihan_44

May 2, 2014
Visit site
I switch between ios and android, been looking at retiring the iPhone 8 and waited to look at new phones till the new iPhone 11 pro was out a few months. I gotta say ive been playing with the pixel-iPhone 11 pro - s10 and I think I like the s10 the best with the iPhone 11 pro a very close 2nd place...

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site
I have a friend with a 9+ and she was going to get a 10+ when it came out and the t-mobile stores near her were out. She never got one and now she is asking me if she should wait for the 11. I said well it won't be out till Feb and I am not sure what all the differences will be but you can probably get a 10+ cheap now for Christmas and it will be better than the 9+. I love my 10+ and don't plan on getting a new phone anytime soon. When I have to upgrade and 5G is fully out then I probably will. But she might want to have the latest and newest but I think the 10 is fine and will be lots cheaper.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I have a friend with a 9+ and she was going to get a 10+ when it came out and the t-mobile stores near her were out. She never got one and now she is asking me if she should wait for the 11. I said well it won't be out till Feb and I am not sure what all the differences will be but you can probably get a 10+ cheap now for Christmas and it will be better than the 9+. I love my 10+ and don't plan on getting a new phone anytime soon. When I have to upgrade and 5G is fully out then I probably will. But she might want to have the latest and newest but I think the 10 is fine and will be lots cheaper.
It's true that there will be awesome sales on the 10 line now that the 11 will be out in the next couple of months. And sometimes, there's just not enough of a justification to get this year's newest line over last year's. :)

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
I'll weigh-in on this!

I typically buy devices when they are first out - like the day of, or first week. I've owned Notes for years with a Pixel tossed in there for good measure. I last had a Note 8 for two years because I couldn't justify getting a Note 9 - the 9 is a great phone, the delta was just not worth the scratch for me. I considered waiting for 5G next year, but it looks like 5G will not have a real positive impact for my use. So I thought maybe the S11/S11+??

Then, the prices in November on the S10+ got so attractive ($375 final cost with N8 trade in, with 0% financing) that I couldn't say no.

IMO, the S10+ is the current pinnacle of mobile phone design and usability. It's just beautiful and delightful to use. Very glad I made the move now.

Adam Frix

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
the biggest reason to avoid the follow up phones--ANY follow up phones next year--is that Qualcomm has made a mess of it.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/201...65-is-a-step-backwards-for-smartphone-design/

Best to let it all sit and simmer until everyone gets it all settled. But no way am I getting a phone that (a) must be larger in order to accommodate the second chip, and (b) will use battery to power it all.

The S10+ is as large as I want.

Adam Frix

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
Then, the prices in November on the S10+ got so attractive ($375 final cost with N8 trade in, with 0% financing) that I couldn't say no.

For my S10+ I paid only $450 at launch with my S9+ trade-in. Samsung is very aggressive about keeping you in the familly and up to date.

neil74

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
Having used an S10+ on and off alongside other droids including the Pixel 4XL, Mate 20 pro and P30 Pro I have actually changed my mind on this one and think that in many ways the S10 plus is a frustrating phone whose flaws are quite obvious when used side by side with it’s competitors, frustrating in that without them it would definitely be my favourite droid. My thoughts now.....

Good

- Design (especially like the ceramic)
- Screen. 90 hz or not it is IMO the best display out there. Also the P30 pro feels quite narrow and slightly cramped in comparison
- Storage options and expandable memory (Looking at you hereGoogle )

Ok

- Software. OneUI 2 is ok but it is still a little bloated for my liking. When used side by side I’d say that the S10 just does not feel quite as ‘zippy’ as other droids. Also whilst gestures have improved with android 10 you still do not get the full android 10 gestures.
- Battery. Overall battery life is ok but standby drain is as always a weak point. No other phone (including the pixel) uses quite as much power when just sitting there doing nothing, other than the smaller S10 or Note 10 of course!

Bad/Frustrating

- Camera, it is just not as good as the competition. For still subjects in good light it is fine and you have to pixel peep to see the smearing but in medium light any movement in the scene at all results is different degrees of blurring. In low light images just fall apart vs the competition. I’ve posted ad nauseam on this in other threads so won’t say anymore.
- Weak radio(s) This was something that was liveable but certainly noticeable on my daily commute where signal on a train can be a challenge. It really came into focus though during my recent house move, I messed up and was without broadband for a couple of weeks and had to rely on my phone and a 4G router. For both WiFi and 4G the signal on the S10 was noticeable lower, my house in not in a strong area but the Pixel and P30 still achieved 2-4 bars of 4G and worked fine, the Samsung had 0-1 bar and had to be put near the window to update apps or stream music. As for WiFi, I have a BT hotspot near my house and the S10 could not even see it let alone connect to it. No idea if this is software or if Samsung just skimped on the hardware here?

- Bluetooth Audio, I have Sony WH1000M3 headphones and the S10 reverts to ‘Best Effort’ quality every time I connect them and has to be manually switched to Balanced or Best Quality. Will say though that the Pixel is worse for this as it will not even let me change the settings at all!

All the current droids have one or 2 issues but I think that the P30 Pro is probably now my favourite of the crop even with the lower res screen. YMMV

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech