[INFO] Welcome -- Basic Optimus S Guide for Newcomers [Info]

aaronrw

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
Re: [INFO] Welcome -- Basic Optimus S Guide for Newcomers [Info

After reading above discussion regarding "zvd vs. zvh" I'm a little confused. I'm running thekraven cm7.2 port for the Optimus S and the software is android 2.3.7. I thought 2.3.7 was gingerbread but above discussion says that zvh is gingerbread. Can you clarify. Also, the developers have done amazing things for this phone...what would it take to mod this phone to be 4g compatible (assuming Sprint ever gets the network for it)? Is it software or hardware that determines that? Never thought I'd get Flash for armv6, but it happened....so I hope.....

Cm7 is gingerbread. Zvd is just a radio version. And it was released with a froyo ROM. Zvh and Zvj are different radios but released with a gingerbread ROM. Hope this helps. And 4g is a hardware thing, pretty sure it won't happen.

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site

Added the MIUI port to links. Waiting for some more feedback on ZVJ and ROMs (in their respective threads ;) )to do a major update to the OP.

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site

Updated to include new ZVJ ROM's and content. Thanks to everyone who made suggestions and the devs who participated in my poll. More updates and links to come. :)

Reactions: aaronrw

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site

Revised ROMs list to include some of the newer projects. Thanks to all those who contribute to this great community!

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site

Minor adjustments and added a little something to help on the journey. :)

doolick

May 15, 2011
Visit site

Just wanted to put a shout-out here for Hydro ROM - it really is awesome.

I had grown accustomed to the many customizations of CM7 on my old phone, and didn't want to mess with the port and downgrading the radio back to zvd. I tried GingerROM initially and while it seems to be a good ROM it didn't have the notification power control widget nor launcher I had grown accustomed to. I installed ADW Launcher and Widgetsoid to get this functionality back, and the poor thing just wouldn't ever run right - lots of glitches even after I wiped and reinstalled only a minimal set of apps and no games.

Finally, I had some free time on one of my summer vacations to start over with a new ROM and thank God I tried Hydro ROM. The boot time had me worried - takes FOREVER - but once it's up it runs solidly and fast for a very long time. I'm a battery nazi, so for me, the notification power toggles make all the difference between a usable phone and a pile of crap. The implementation here is just shy of perfect, which is exactly what I need. All the other functions are nice and snappy, too.

hlxanthus

May 22, 2011
Visit site
Epi, just read thru the guide for the first time in months. Excellent work on this. LOVE the pledge too, classic.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: epidenimus

squigglily

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Epidenimus,

A million thanks for this guide! I've been too afraid of bricking my phone to root it (complete noob, I know), but I recently upgraded and decided to give it a shot on my old Optimus S, which I want to turn into a media controller for the house. Between your guide and everything you linked, I was able to root my phone and flash DanteRom without any major issues. You guys are awesome!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze