Inspire vs i4

ptb127

Dec 5, 2009
Visit site
I know this is an android forum but I am actually looking to hear from people who have switched from iPhone 4 to the HTC inspire and what they like and dislike about the switch. I know the battery life is poor on the inspire and is a lot better on the iPhone. What are the other pro/cons and what mobile needs are met better by Inspire?

EvoXOhio

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
I am very happy with the inspire battery life compared to the iPhone 3gs I had. I have juice defender installed which seems to help. I have had my phone off the charger for 4.5 hours and I have 49% charge left. In that time I have texted, browsed the web, looked around in the market, used the Facebook widget, and used pulse. Granted not the whole 4.5 hours was it in use but still good battery life.

ddiehl

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
I came from a 3Gs.

I don't think I'll ever go back.

Couple things:

I do miss the overall smoothness of the iPhone, and I really miss the center start button. After a week, I still find myself going for it. I'm sure I'll get used to it over time.

dchandler

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
I came from a iphone 4 and must admit that there are a couple of things i have to get used to like the android OS Vs. ios but other than that I haven't had any problems. I feel every smartphone is going to have battery problems. I am using the Atrix also and that battery is suppose to be a beast but last me just as long as my Inspire so with that being said its all on how you use your phone. lol

ptb127

Dec 5, 2009
Visit site
I came from a iphone 4 and must admit that there are a couple of things i have to get used to like the android OS Vs. ios but other than that I haven't had any problems. I feel every smartphone is going to have battery problems. I am using the Atrix also and that battery is suppose to be a beast but last me just as long as my Inspire so with that being said its all on how you use your phone. lol

What are those few things you are missing?

Verdes8891

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
When i had my Iphone and i switched from that, i never looked back myself. And when i switched from blackberry to android, end of story.

velvetelvis

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
i came from the ip4 and the only thing i really miss is the ipod function. i use my nano now in my car as the music player on this is not good. the navigation is way, WAY better than the ip4. the ip4 is more user friendly, but i like being able to tinker and set it up the way i want, not the way apple wants.

Myself

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Just made the switch yesterday. This is just an initial impression as I've had it less than 24 hours, and cannot make a full comparison as of yet. I just got sick of my iPhone 4 saying "no sim" at all hours of the day, effectively making it an ipod touch...and I've been wanting to go to Android for a while to test it out.

Like:
-Screen real estate....love the larger screen!
-Customization- iOS is great for simplicity and ease of use, but I like having streaming data and being able to make it look a little different and easier to use for me
-Setting up my accounts was just as easy as it was on the iphone. Within 15 minutes, I had all my e-mails and facebook and everything set up so I didn't miss a beat
-Camera- this has a fantastic camera. The iphone 4 did as well, and while I'm not a great photographer, I want something simple that can take great shots when I feel like it, and the inspire does that very well
-Flashlight- Simple, but I love having a flashlight app! With the iphone, I just turned on video camera and flash to on which would take a little bit to set up...this is just a swipe and a tap away!
-Widgets- the reason I love android. With iOS, you have to find what you want, tap it, and load it before you can use it. Some of the basic stuff, like e-mail, messages, calender, etc. are able to be set up right on one of the home screens, so I can access it much quicker and see the data I want faster. It may only save a few seconds in the end, but it makes it that much easier to see the info and put the phone away.
-It's a phone! My iphone was a great ipod touch with occasional phone capability...but with that no sim message i got all the time (even after getting new sim cardS), it was just too unreliable. Granted, i haven't had this phone long enough to say it's issue free or not, but at least for the moment, the calls I have made were made successfully, sounded loud and clear, and give me a feeling of security that, as long as I'm in a service area, I can actually use my phone as a phone!

Dislike:
-Screen size- While I love the larger screen for the most part, it does make the phone a little awkward to handle at times. One handed operation is doable, but I find myself using two hands more than I did with the iPhone for similar tasks
-Battery life- jury is still out as I haven't gone through a whole day yet, but the iPhone 4 had truly amazing battery life. I loved not having to worry about whether I'd make it through the day or not, because there wasn't a single time that I used the entire battery to 0%. I'm sure the inpsire will last me fine, but I know on certain days I'll need to watch my usage or charge it before the day is done.
-Volume- in call volume is great, but notifications are a bit too quiet for my liking. I know there are ways around this, but I prefer things to work properly out of the box generally speaking, so I'd rather not have to get apps to tweak the volume. It is loud enough to get by, however, just wish I had the option to turn it up. Again, the iphone was never short on volume for me
-Music playback- not really an issue for me, but I did love having itunes/ipod functionality on the iphone. In my car, I have cds, SD card slot, ipod connection (with an ipod currently, but will switch with the iphone 4 soon), and bluetooth, so I'm not short on options, and the SD card is my main choice 90% of the time. But around the office or home, sometimes it's nice to just throw some music on to listen to, and the iphone 4 made that as easy as possible. This will barely affect me, and I have more than enough other options that this really isn't a problem, but some may be bothered by it more than others
-Lack of accessories- While not everyone likes Apple and their products, obviously more than enough do so you can find 1000000000 different accessories for their products. If I needed a new case, charger, adapter, plug, cable, speaker, what have you with the iphone, I could find one with ease. With the Inpsire, it seems limited to one or two cases (which aren't my style anyway), and the rest are generic fit-all products (like a microusb cable)
-Browser- I like the android browser, but the iphone's browser did work better. It was just smoother, rendered pages better (full screen looks fine on both, but when you zoom in, the iphone seemed to keep everything the same, while android tends to rearrange things to fit...not a bad idea, but sometimes I have to zoom in, then readjust the screen a few times to get to what I wanted).

So far, I really absolutely love this phone, and I'm really loving Android! There are a few things I do miss about the iphone and would prefer to have on this one, but there are enough positives about this phone to keep me using it and not want to go back to iOS as of yet. Me being the way I am, I'm sure I'll go back to it some day, and I'll probably try Windows Mobile 7 and HP Palm OS too....I just love gadgets in general. But for the immediate moment, I'm thrilled with this phone and have zero regrets!

Ryan Roland

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
-Browser- I like the android browser, but the iphone's browser did work better. It was just smoother, rendered pages better (full screen looks fine on both, but when you zoom in, the iphone seemed to keep everything the same, while android tends to rearrange things to fit...not a bad idea, but sometimes I have to zoom in, then readjust the screen a few times to get to what I wanted).

You can turn this feature off in settings. I actually prefer the rearranging becuase without it you are scrolling side to side and down to read articles but with it you just scroll down. But i know what you mean at first it seems weird and you have to figure out how to use it to your advantage.

Ryan Roland

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
So far, I really absolutely love this phone, and I'm really loving Android! There are a few things I do miss about the iphone and would prefer to have on this one, but there are enough positives about this phone to keep me using it and not want to go back to iOS as of yet. Me being the way I am, I'm sure I'll go back to it some day, and I'll probably try Windows Mobile 7 and HP Palm OS too....I just love gadgets in general. But for the immediate moment, I'm thrilled with this phone and have zero regrets!

You will continue to love that phone, I've tried all the OS's including WP7 most recently and if you thought your options were limited in iOS then stay away from WP7. I'm sure they will add some stuff through updates, but its taking a page right from the apple book, lets make it smooth and simple by stripping it from all customization.

Android is the complete package. it gives you all the upsides to any of those OS's and then some unique things like google navigation for FREE. VLINGO full version for free. and more free apps and games than any other market. I think google is on the right path and have made leaps and bounds of improvements over the last year whereas other OS's or companies are trying to play catchup now to do the things google/android has already done. remember that OS called Symbian? remember when iOS 4.0 announced folders and multitasking in June 2010 while andriod had that for many months before that? Then windows mobile hit the trash can and was rebuilt from the ground up to form WP7 and even then it's missing 20 or more core features that android and even iOS are doing.

So yeah Android is better IMHO

BrianTufo

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I'm making the switch from the iPhone 4 to the Inspire today. Ordered the phone Friday and get it today. I'll also let you know my opinions. Trust me I'm a pretty hardcore Apple guy and I switched. Just want something different and customizeable without a jailbreak.

homescrub

Mar 1, 2011
twitter.com
I know this is an android forum but I am actually looking to hear from people who have switched from iPhone 4 to the HTC inspire and what they like and dislike about the switch. I know the battery life is poor on the inspire and is a lot better on the iPhone. What are the other pro/cons and what mobile needs are met better by Inspire?

I had an iPhone 3GS, and just switched today to the Inspire. First time using Android, and I was skeptical at first because it looks really complicated. But I dove in, and messed around with the widgets, the settings, and I was able to customize the Inspire's Sense UI to my liking.

The only issue currently with the phone is the email system: ActiveSync with Exchange is currently not supported. The only work around to this is unless you are using GMail for exchange/corporate, you can locate the GMAil icon and sync all your info/contacts, etc.

The phone itself will work great with Google Voice, WAY better than the iPhone. Notifications are pushed much better. And there are tons of skins/themes to set this phone up.

Its like a toy, but smarter than an iPhone. Sorry, I had to admit it.

Once you download your apps, you are ready to go. I am loving this phone so far.

Myself

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
The only issue currently with the phone is the email system: ActiveSync with Exchange is currently not supported. The only work around to this is unless you are using GMail for exchange/corporate, you can locate the GMAil icon and sync all your info/contacts, etc.

If your exchange has outlook web access (webmail), you can set it up with activesync. I use my work exchange server to sync everything (contacts, email, calendar, etc.) using our webmail server...everything works great, push e-mail and all. Just thought I'd mention that in case your exchange server uses OWA too.

tristan34044

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
i switched from my iPhone 4 to the Inspire 2 Fridays ago and I feel like a traitor saying this but I LOVE the Inspire, and think it's better than the iPhone 4.

what i love about the Inspire: the widgets, the notification system and the overall HTC Sense UI. I know it's Android underneath but each phone manufacturers all have some sort of customized UI on top of it and I think the HTC Sense is great. Never used another Android from other manufacturers, so i can't say others aren't good but from what i hear/read, Moto Blur is really bad and Samsung & LG are just ok. but again, i have never tried others.

one thing I didn't like at first was the battery life, it seemed much worse than the iPhone 4. after a week, it's adequate but i still think iPhone 4's battery lasted longer...

Four-Fifty-X

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
I had an iPhone 3GS, and just switched today to the Inspire. First time using Android, and I was skeptical at first because it looks really complicated. But I dove in, and messed around with the widgets, the settings, and I was able to customize the Inspire's Sense UI to my liking.

The phone itself will work great with Google Voice, WAY better than the iPhone. Notifications are pushed much better. And there are tons of skins/themes to set this phone up.

Its like a toy, but smarter than an iPhone. Sorry, I had to admit it.

Once you download your apps, you are ready to go. I am loving this phone so far.

It fully supports Exchange. When you say, "ActiveSync with Exchange is currently not support", what do you mean?

homescrub

Mar 1, 2011
twitter.com
It fully supports Exchange. When you say, "ActiveSync with Exchange is currently not support", what do you mean?

i know right. well i looked everywhere as to why my server doesnt sync with exchange through gmail corporate. i have one account but it wont sync the others, only gives me a error in creating my accounts. it fails to create them. i can log on just fine on my web browser from phone and pc, but it wont sync to my phone.

edit: i changed my settings in my gmail corporate to be set to IMAP, and configured the account.

Last edited:

hasssan

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
I am coming from 3g, i hate inspire battery life and volume. I love the graphic quality and speed of htc/android, but i am very unhappy with volume and battery life. Also the sensor is much slower than ios devices.

BrianTufo

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
The battery life hasnt bothered me thus far but the volume is an annoyance. It's way too quiet for my liking but other than that I love this phone. Just trying to make sense (pardon the pun lol) of the rooting process. I was very good with iPhone stuff/coding but this is all new/weird to me.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
possible11