Install better dictionary

mark7914

Jan 19, 2018
Visit site
Is there any way to install a different and more comprehensive dictionary on a Samsung S8, replacing the one it shipped with?

Words I can think of immediately which it does not have include remonstrate (replaces with demonstrate) and commuter (replaces with computer). There are plenty of others which, while perhaps not used in everyday vocabulary, are far from obscure.

I'm not asking for the complete Oxford English dictionary but something approaching the concise one would be a big improvement.

Thanks!

--

Samsung Galaxy S8
Android Version 7.0
Samsung Experience Version 8.1

mark7914

Jan 19, 2018
Visit site
Didn't think there would be too many takers for this one. Literally nobody seems to know :(

Can the dictionary be changed for another English one? I'm assuming the phone has one common dictionary that's shared across all the apps.

That way when I type in "Looking", for instance, it doesn't change that to "Booking" (or even "kipling"). Seemingly every week I'll come across words that have the most ridiculous autocorrects.

The phone's grip of the English language - both in terms of the range of words it knows, and the relative probability percentages of what's more likely, isn't very good.

I know that I can, apparently, add my own words to the dictionary one by one or type them in as a list. There are just way too many that need adding.

What I'm looking for is to download a new dictionary file that has the basics - probably twice the size of the one it shipped with - and replace the one on the phone with it.

Or to know where that file lives and if it's possible for me to "hack" it myself.

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
If you install SwiftKey, and tap the words as they populate the predictive space above the keyboard, it will remember that word and the root too. This has worked for me using verbage uncommon and not in the prediction space as it learned what I was selecting.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheeHans