Installation error: Unknown reason -18

firelightguitarist

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
ok everyone, i was about to start a thread asking for help to fix this error, but then i found this right here on the android central forums:

http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc-evo-4g/57409-market-updates-problem-unknown-error-18-a.html

it's for the evo 4g, but it works perfectly. i wish i'd found this a few days ago when this all started, i could've saved several hours of work flashing, reflashing, restoring, returning to stock, and flashing some more.

so! if you also have this problem, check out the forum post i listed above and enjoy updating your apps!

UPDATE:
Instructions! Just 4 easy steps! (you must be rooted to do it without a computer. for computer instructions, see the link to the evo forum post above)

1. (if you don't have it already) get the app "adao file manager"
screenshot_14.png

2. open adao file manager
screenshot_1.png

screenshot_7.png

screenshot_8.png

3. open "sd card" and navigate to ".android_secure"
screenshot_11.png

4. delete "smdl2tmp1.asec" (obviously, since i have done it already, my directory is empty)
screenshot_11.png

Last edited:

johnacc2011

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I will try this out although why is it that my phone is alright for a few weeks and then acts up like "I'd like to make it a paperweight" I mean HTC EVO 4g, w/2.2 Froyo? What's actually causing this to happen? HTC firmware, Sprint URL update, Droid Marketplace out of sync? I copied the apps asking to be updated back to my phone and the apps updated OK. I have not tried to copy them back to SD card however. I tried downloading a new app and it failed also with a "Installation error, Unknown reason - 18". Thanks.

Last edited:

Titus37

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Thanks a lot for that link! I started getting the unknown error -18 last night. My phone has seemed a lot less stable since I accepted the latest OTA update. I have not hacked my phone at all and am running stock everything, but problems like this make me think that potential bugs within the custom ROMs can't be much worse. :D

VW Maverick

Retired Ambassador
Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Per that other link, here are the steps:

Step 1 - Move all apps to internal memory from card
Step 2 - Delete android_secure file on the SD
Step 3 - Move all apps back to SD as you please, and everything will update fine.

Step 1 - Completed
Step 2 - I am sure I am missing something easy, but where/how can I access my SD card to be able to delete the file?

Thanks.

Mav. :cool:

firelightguitarist

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I am sure I am missing something easy, but where/how can I access my SD card to be able to delete the file?

I prefer Adao File Manager. Just navigate to it with that and delete it. That's what I did.

BTW, there's absolutely no need to move your apps like that. all you have to do is delete the file. i'll edit my OP with instructions, maybe even screenshots

MaXXimus

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
And what if that file isn't in the android secure folder? I still get app update errors.

Swyped from my LS670 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hunterm2