Installing Update error - Needs backup assistant

Andy sax

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
I broke my old razr and found one on craig's list that checked out but when I tried to update I got an error message saying I need to "check_patch_file ... BackupAssistanceClient.apk" I've dl'd the file from other forms but when I go to install, it just says "not installed." It seems I have to sbf or root which look to be dangerous things to do. Is there a safer way get the file or trick it into thinking I have the file? Although I feel compentent enogh to root or sbf, I don't want to if I don't have to. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

famouzstarz#AC

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
its possible that the phone is already rooted but might be on a stock firmware, download rootchecker and see if your rooted.

if your not rooted your can sbf a stock firmware via RSD lite , all you pretty much have to do is download RSD lite, and the moto drivers install, download the firmware, place your phone in sbf mode load the file let the program run and done over all time about 20 mins which includes downloading the software :)

MOTOROLA Tools [Specially for Noobs] - xda-developers

famouzstarz#AC

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
if the device is rooted to not attempt to update OTA! and defer or reject any incoming OTA!

you can either move forward with your rooted device and download rom manager and flash Clock Work Recovery, which will replace the stock recovery if its still even there.
if you flash clockword you can look over on xda for a custom rom, or a stock rom debloated (verizon junkware removed)

or

you can sbf a stock image and return the phone to an "out of box state"

How to Fix Droid Razr Soft Brick: Unroot and install Stock Firmware : Tips For Droid

Andy sax

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Awesome! I think I'll just sbf to stock. One more question though. The posted link says I'll go back to gingerbread but I'm on 4 0 4 (ICS?). Is that a problem? I've seen a few posts where people get stuck in gingerbread after sbf because their system says they're up to date

If I saved the jellybean update to the sd could I manually update it without ever being in ICS?

famouzstarz#AC

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
you will sbf to whatever firmware you download, since you will be using rsd lite what you put it what you get. im sure you can already download the latest ota and sbf that ;)

Andy sax

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
got stuck in bootloop after "restore droid razr to 6.12.173". Automatically put me in recovery saying:

"E:Can't mount /chache/recovery/command
ge 1/1
E:Can't mount /chache/recovery/caller
E:Can't mount /chache/recovery/log
E:Can't open /chache/recovery/log
E:Can't mount /chache/recovery/last_log
E:Can't open /chache/recovery/last_log
E:Can't mount /chache/recovery/last_install
E:Can't open /chache/recovery/last_install"

I did a factory reset but still get stuck in bootloop. Also, when I try to run the specific unroot process it stalls at "waiting for device"

Last edited:

blackops1125

Advisor
Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
if the device is rooted to not attempt to update OTA! and defer or reject any incoming OTA!

you can either move forward with your rooted device and download rom manager and flash Clock Work Recovery, which will replace the stock recovery if its still even there.
if you flash clockword you can look over on xda for a custom rom, or a stock rom debloated (verizon junkware removed)

or

you can sbf a stock image and return the phone to an "out of box state"

How to Fix Droid Razr Soft Brick: Unroot and install Stock Firmware : Tips For Droid

I would not follow these directions. Rom manager is not good for razr. You can update OTA while rooted. This person does not have his facts straight.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

famouzstarz#AC

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1539192

Use rsd to flash a stock image the above link is a thread for rsd lite setup as soon as I can get to a pc I'll post more unless black ops wants to provide his/her resources

Sbf files :

http://sbf.droid-developers.org/cdma_spyder/list.php

Complete RAZR resources guide :

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=30392608
[INDEX] Droid RAZR and RAZR MAXX Resources and Features Guide [08/18/2012]

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

blackops1125

Advisor
Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
got stuck in bootloop after "restore droid razr to 6.12.173". Automatically put me in recovery saying:

"E:Can't mount /chache/recovery/command
ge 1/1
E:Can't mount /chache/recovery/caller
E:Can't mount /chache/recovery/log
E:Can't open /chache/recovery/log
E:Can't mount /chache/recovery/last_log
E:Can't open /chache/recovery/last_log
E:Can't mount /chache/recovery/last_install
E:Can't open /chache/recovery/last_install"

I did a factory reset but still get stuck in bootloop. Also, when I try to run the specific unroot process it stalls at "waiting for device"
First off what razr do you have, if you're on Verizon us version then that is not the right fastboot file. Verizon us fastboot file is 6.16.211. I will have to look up the full file name. Use this to fastboot back to stock ICS Droid razr Verizon us version. Root and then you can take OTA update to JB.

http://www.droidrzr.com/index.php/t...-verizon-droid-razr-and-droid-razr-maxx-only/

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
devboilol