Internal Storage bigger and fuller than it should.

Jun 11, 2019
Visit site
Hello there,
Recently I decided to up the storage for my Galaxy S7 with a switch from a 32GB SD to a 200GB SD. Since then, my internal storage shows 162GB of 183GB used, but I shoudl be nowhere near that amount of data (I had around 10GB used before). The phones storage is also missing from the index. I cant access it with file managers and it is not visible while connected to my PC, it only shows my integrated SD-card. I am out of ideas what could be causing this behavior.

Here a quick rundown of my specs and what I already did to solve this problem:

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S7
Android Version: 7.1.2
SD-Card: Sandisk Ultra 200GB

I tried the following steps:

Restarting the phone after inserting the SD card and formating it (problem was fixed before the restart, but occured again afterwards).
Clearing the Cache (In the settings and using TRWP).
Checked for unusually large files using DiskUsage and Amaze, including the root folders. (found nothing).
Checked the SD-card for errors and if it is fake (it is not).
Looked far and wide on the Internet (without much to show for it)

I am trying to avoid a complete clear install. Does anyone else have any ideas what could be causing this issue? Am I missing something? Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Attachments

• InternalStorageFull.jpg
    InternalStorageFull.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Install a terminal app (Terminal Emulator for Android will work). Issue the command

df

(the display is easier to read in landscape mode). The last entry (usually emulated/0 or sdcard [The SD card is extSdCard]) is the user space you have available, the rest is used by the system.

Since this is LineageOS, storage may be partitioned differently. (You may even have the SD card mounted on the end of sdcard - making it internal storage). If looking at the results of df don't help you, I'd ask on a LineageOS forum. It's similar to Android, but it's not exactly Android.

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
1st, you're rooted? 2nd, take out the sdcard, place in a reader into a pc to explore. While the sdcard is out, download and run Data Size Explorer.
Between these two things you should be able to see what all that data is.

Jun 11, 2019
Visit site
So I ran the Terminal.
TerminalOutput.jpeg

Just looking at the Use%, there isnt really anything that seems to explain how I got to 160GB of data. I'll try asking at Lineage forums.
@methodman89

Yes, I am rooted. Taking out the SD-card sadly renders me unable to install any apps, since it is treated as the default app storage (its integrated after all). Here is how it looks with the SD-card still inside:
DataSize.jpg

Jun 11, 2019
Visit site
The Spotify Files seem to be the downloaded music. None of the Files are much bigger than 200MB, and having around 4000 files in high quality would explain 25GB of data. It does not explain why my phone miraculously gained around 150GB of internal storage, since the SD card is recognized as such.

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
The Spotify Files seem to be the downloaded music. None of the Files are much bigger than 200MB, and having around 4000 files in high quality would explain 25GB of data. It does not explain why my phone miraculously gained around 150GB of internal storage, since the SD card is recognized as such.
Your cache and files are all the same 25.2 g. If you look around you may find duplicates due to syncing issues. Either way, it's not looking correct.

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
You're right! I have atleast three different /mnt/runtime folders, that all have a metric ton of data in them. Would it be safe to just delete them and hope for the best?
I think this is why on this boards Read Me post, it says when you root, you're on your own.
I'd make a copy of the data, then start from scratch, going through all settings with storage permissions. Good luck

Jun 11, 2019
Visit site
Alright, thank you. Although the root supposedly does not touch anything related to storage (Its called Magisk). And I did have the problem before being rooted. But I will try and see if I can somehow clear this problem. Thank you for your help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair