Internal Storage Query

Colin McNicholas

Jan 11, 2023
Visit site
My wife keeps getting "low storage" warnings so we did the usual...

- uninstalled unnecessary apps
- cleared cache on remaining apps
- moved large files such as video to Google Drive
- emptied recycle bin
- rebooted device

There was about 4GB of internal storage free after this. But within 2 hours the internal storage was full again despite no new apps being installed or any videos taken.

Is there a way to determine what could be consuming so much space so rapidly?

Thanks.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
The file manager app should give an overview of what is using storage. there may also be a way to do this in settings.

You'll probably have to look through the apps and see what's caching things... Facebook would be my first accusation. Then there's things like Youtube and Youtube music that can auto download crap in an effort to "help" the user.

Honestly though, it sounds like she just needs a device with more storage.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Which phone does your wife have, and how much total internal storage does it have? If it's 16 or 32 GB, that's definitely way too little for modern apps. An SD card typically won't help much -- that's mainly useful for documents and media files (like photos, music, and videos), although if she has a ton of those saved to the phone, it might make a dent.

I agree with fuzzylumpkin -- there's a ton of caching that goes on, which is how apps and the system try to make things efficient and quick.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
popipro