Is a magnet harming my pixel?

steve cooper

Jan 9, 2016
Visit site
I just bought a phone holder for my car vent that uses a magnet to attach. After about a hour of having the magnet in between my phone and case, my phone started lagging real bad. Reminded me of my old Android phones. So I took out the magnet and restarted my phone and things were good for about an hour and it started lagging again. This time I restarted and took out the magnet and everything has been smooth since. My pixel has never lagged since I owned it. Is the magnet harming my phone? Anyone else use these for the pixel?

popkurn611

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
I just bought a phone holder for my car vent that uses a magnet to attach. After about a hour of having the magnet in between my phone and case, my phone started lagging real bad. Reminded me of my old Android phones. So I took out the magnet and restarted my phone and things were good for about an hour and it started lagging again. This time I restarted and took out the magnet and everything has been smooth since. My pixel has never lagged since I owned it. Is the magnet harming my phone? Anyone else use these for the pixel?
I use a magnet for my car mount and haven't noticed any issues

Green_Laser

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
I use a magnet (on A/C vent) and a thin metal disc between phone and case, haven't noticed any lag.

The only thing I do notice is that when I combine the two the screen will sometimes turn off, but then I turn back on again.
This behavior didn't happen with my previous phone, Moto X 2014, however it did happen with a family member's galaxy S4 (screen would turn off).

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I use a magnet (on A/C vent) and a thin metal disc between phone and case, haven't noticed any lag.

The only thing I do notice is that when I combine the two the screen will sometimes turn off, but then I turn back on again.
This behavior didn't happen with my previous phone, Moto X 2014, however it did happen with a family member's galaxy S4 (screen would turn off).
That's because the Pixel has a magnetic switch/sensor that allows for screen on/off control for book style cases. I believe it's closer to the bottom of the device, if I pass a magnetic field near the lower part of the display either in front or behind i can turn the screen on/off. Samsung makes cases for their devices that function this way so I'm not surprised the S4 did it.

rykellim

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
I believe that magnets will more or less cause lag on your phone, especially if you have a LCD screen instead of a Super AMOLED screen or something... anyway, whenever your mobile lags, one of the first things to try in the troubleshooting would be to ~ move all magnets far away from your device.

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site

As a Blackberry user, i can say that there are small magnets in most of my official devices cases which turns the screen off when the phone is inserted. This has been done many many times and my phone still works perfectly. However, maybe the strength of the magnet is doing something a little weird. If you phone is lagging and doing strange things then i would avoid using it. Especially if it goes back to normal when you remove the magnet :)

We don't want you do damage that beautiful piece of hardware you purchased. Maybe use to Duct Tape to hold down the phone holder to the vent. If its not working, you haven't used enough Duct Tape haha :D

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Rule of thumb.... Magnets and electronics don't mix...

IMO this is especially the case when the device has a compass in it. Sure, GPS and cellular signals do the heavy lifting in location services but I for one would still like to minimize the magnetic fields that the compass in my device is subjected to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biggles