Is activating mcafee required to get 100% optimisation on the S9/S9+?

Axle Grease

Apr 6, 2018
Visit site
I installed an antivirus that is not mcafee, It's by Eset, but it seems that I still cannot get greater than 90% optimisation on the S9+ without activating mcafee.

I don't want to activate mcafee. My background with antivirus software is entirely PC related and therefore we hates it to bits, just like John Mcafee does.

claykin

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
uninstall or disable McAfee if you don't want to use. BTW, Intel acquired McAfee in 2010. Then about a year ago spun it off into its own business , but Intel still retains 49% ownership.

Nevertheless, like you I'm not much of a fan. ESet is a better choice. But this antivirus choice shouldn't impact phone optimization.

Axle Grease

Apr 6, 2018
Visit site
uninstall or disable McAfee if you don't want to use. BTW, Intel acquired McAfee in 2010. Then about a year ago spun it off into its own business , but Intel still retains 49% ownership.

Nevertheless, like you I'm not much of a fan. ESet is a better choice. But this antivirus choice shouldn't impact phone optimization.

McAfee doesn't appear to be installed so there's nothing to disable or remove. Put it this way, I can't find it in the apps list including system apps. Yet if I turn on Virus Scanning, the first thing that pops up is a mcafee EULA for activation.

lucianus_luciferus

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
Mine was at 100% the first time I powered the phone up but then it started to fall and after about two weeks it is at 74% and no matter what i do it will not go over 75%.
Also your screen looks different
382dc338a094cfd420d528f98c3e19db.jpg

Axle Grease

Apr 6, 2018
Visit site
Mine was at 100% the first time I powered the phone up but then it started to fall and after about two weeks it is at 74% and no matter what i do it will not go over 75%.
Also your screen looks different
//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180407/382dc338a094cfd420d528f98c3e19db.jpg

It's obvious what is stopping mine from reaching 100%. See above. "Turn On 10 p". I don't know why yours maxes at 74. The S9+ is my first "smart" phone and only my second mobile, the first being a $14 Nokia, so I'm feeling pretty ignorant about these things atm. Learning fast though.

PeninaD

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I installed an antivirus that is not mcafee, It's by Eset, but it seems that I still cannot get greater than 90% optimisation on the S9+ without activating mcafee.

I don't want to activate mcafee. My background with antivirus software is entirely PC related and therefore we hates it to bits, just like John Mcafee does.

It's your S9+ on Verizon?
I just got mine today, and it appears to me that Verizon has put security on the phone.

bennett22

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
at&t s9 and i don't have that problem. every time i've done the optimization, which isn't often even when i had my s7, i can hit 100% every time

Axle Grease

Apr 6, 2018
Visit site
Yes why does your screen look different?

I've always been able to hit 100% on the last three Samsungs so I definitely say if you can't hit 100 consistently you have a problem and perhaps you should hard reset your phone. And then try and figure out if it's an app causing it

I don't know why my screen looks different. I thought it was the same as everyone's until posting here. Maybe it is region specific. Maybe Samsung is trying on a hard push of McAfee to New Zealanders.

Axle Grease

Apr 6, 2018
Visit site
It's your S9+ on Verizon?
I just got mine today, and it appears to me that Verizon has put security on the phone.

The phone was unlocked when I purchased it, and I opened an account with Warehouse Mobile which nobody outside of Australasia is going to know about.

Axle Grease

Apr 6, 2018
Visit site
what's the harm in activating it? I activated it seems to be working well no effect on battery or anything like that.

1) McAfee's long dismal history. 2) There are better AV/AM software. 3) Since Samsung is pushing to install McAfee I must therefore respond with a one finger salute.

BerryBubbles

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
This is like my Samsung Galaxy Tab 3. Originally, I could get 100 points then all-of-a-sudden it would only reach 90.

It's Device Blackmail. 'Install McAfee & we will give the remaining 10'. I have read the McAfee is a 60 day trial, more bloatware. Although, as Axle Grease stated, it's nowhere on the device to uninstall. (At least, I couldn't find it.)

My Tab 3 is 6 months old & if my device maintenance score is at 90, I feel that really is 100. They can hold those 10 points hostage forever, I'm not paying the McAfee ransom.

I've been watching my S9+, I feel like its only a matter of time before the same thing happens. ;)

Tab 3.png

Last edited:

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Well it can't give you 100 if it didn't run one of the components. What you're asking for like getting a 100 on a test but you didn't answer the lasr 10 items. If you don't want to activate McAfee then don't.

Personally I don't see this as blackmail. It's just how it is. I mean, would you complain if you only got a 90 on a 100 point test because you didn't feel like answering the last 10 items because it offended you in some way?

For the US guys, AFAIK it's the Exynos international version affected by this.

BerryBubbles

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
Well it can't give you 100 if it didn't run one of the components. What you're asking for like getting a 100 on a test but you didn't answer the lasr 10 items. If you don't want to activate McAfee then don't.

Personally I don't see this as blackmail. It's just how it is. I mean, would you complain if you only got a 90 on a 100 point test because you didn't feel like answering the last 10 items because it offended you in some way?

For the US guys, AFAIK it's the Exynos international version affected by this.

I understand what you're saying. I was attempting to humorous. Big fail, sorry chanchan05. :(

It's just an OCD thing with me. Originally, you were able to get 100 without the activating McAfee. They changed the test. ;)

Last edited: