Is is possible to update...

eltra

May 18, 2022
Visit site
Hi
Is it possible to update android 4.1.2 on Sony Xperia st27i to 4.3? Information from settings says I got the newest available apps.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
No, there was no official upgrade higher than 4.1.2. Apparently, there was a custom ROM for 4.4.4, but you'd probably have to root the phone. You can search the forums at XDA-Developers.com for more information.

Windroid 2483

Jul 21, 2023
Visit site
I wouldn't waste time with this device, best to recycle it.
I'm inclined to half-agree with you, the OP's probably better off not putting much time and effort into this dinosaur. But recycle it? If this phone can still make phone calls, then it's worth keeping around as a backup (at least if it's unlocked).

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I'm inclined to half-agree with you, the OP's probably better off not putting much time and effort into this dinosaur. But recycle it? If this phone can still make phone calls, then it's worth keeping around as a backup (at least if it's unlocked).
Hi , even as just phone calls carriers not going support it at least in US as they getting rid of 2g/3g devices while keeping 4g /5g going forward

Windroid 2483

Jul 21, 2023
Visit site
After thinking about it more: I don't think destroying the old phone (and that's what recycling is) is such a good idea, even if OP's in a country where 3G and 2G are going away. There are still a few possible uses for the phone:

#1: Trade-in value. When buying a new phone, OP might be able to get a discount in return for the old phone.

#2: Even a smartphone with no internet connection, and no ability to make phone calls, still has useful apps such as a calculator. A spare calculator or alarm clock might come in handy.

#3: A decoy. Some folks try to make you give them your cell phone. That's dangerous, because a phone is how you call for help if you're in trouble! If anyone demands that you give up your cell phone (be it a mugger on the street, or a teacher in a classroom), that's a very bad sign. You have to ask yourself just why they don't want you to be able to call for help. It might be good to have a decoy phone, so that you can give that one up and keep your real phone.

Reactions: B. Diddy

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Those are good ideas! But for me, the main concern would be security. An old device like that will have missed out on a lot of security patches, so if there's any connection with the web at all, there's always some risk for your personal information (assuming you're logging in anywhere with your Google account or any of your other sensitive accounts).

Reactions: Laura Knotek

Windroid 2483

Jul 21, 2023
Visit site
An old device like that will have missed out on a lot of security patches, so if there's any connection with the web at all, there's always some risk for your personal information .
That's why I gave ideas which would work, even if the phone were reset and then never connected to the Internet.

Reactions: B. Diddy

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
That's why I gave ideas which would work, even if the phone were reset and then never connected to the Internet.
It becomes almost second nature for users to sign into their phone with their usual Google account that they'd just have to remember to use a guest account or some junk account. 😁

Reactions: Laura Knotek

Windroid 2483

Jul 21, 2023
Visit site
It becomes almost second nature for users to sign into their phone with their usual Google account that they'd just have to remember to use a guest account or some junk account. 😁
I really wish Google would have more layers of securty then just one password for everything! I shouyld be able to sync Chrome settings, without giving a computer (and smartphones are computers) full access to my Google account.

More to the point: Yes, don't sign into your Google account on a computer (agian, including smartphones) which will not be connected to the Internet. There's no point to that, all it does it makes your Google account less secure.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I really wish Google would have more layers of securty then just one password for everything! I shouyld be able to sync Chrome settings, without giving a computer (and smartphones are computers) full access to my Google account.

More to the point: Yes, don't sign into your Google account on a computer (agian, including smartphones) which will not be connected to the Internet. There's no point to that, all it does it makes your Google account less secure.
Microsoft is exactly the same. A Microsoft account is required for all Microsoft 365 and OneDrive apps.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johndoe11