Is it a safe decision to get the Nexus S 4G?

AllenRulz

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
I WANT a Google flagship phone for the updates ect. But how much longer can this phone receive OS updates? Is it going to get Ice Cream?

Or should I keep Verizon and wait for the next Nexus phone (rumored) Prime?

So lost on what to do.

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
The predecessor to the Nexus S, the Nexus One, is still receiving updates and is on the same version of Gingerbread as its GSM Nexus S counterpart. The Nexus One was the first phone to get Gingerbread after the Nexus S, just like the Nexus S will be the first phone to get Ice Cream Sandwich after the Nexus 3, so no need to worry about future updates.

Reactions: intheb0x

Zerocool84

May 26, 2011
Visit site
If you can't wait then get the Nexus S. If you don't need a phone right now you should wait as we have no confirmed details on the next Nexus phone but it'll come this holiday season as every other one has.

AllenRulz

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
I NEED a phone now lol. Tired of my storm and my contract with Verizon ends this month (9/22) so I'm thinking of Sprint and holy crap, I have a Sprint question. Under the plans it says UNLIMITED CALLING to ANY mobile phone and it's actually under the $69 plan. Is this for real?

Zerocool84

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I NEED a phone now lol. Tired of my storm and my contract with Verizon ends this month (9/22) so I'm thinking of Sprint and holy crap, I have a Sprint question. Under the plans it says UNLIMITED CALLING to ANY mobile phone and it's actually under the $69 plan. Is this for real?

Add $10 onto any Sprint plan when getting a smartphone.

intheb0x

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site

You know i just used my upgrade for the nexus and im reallly happy with it, its just as snappy as a evo 3d and similar, and its bloatware free all while being more up to date then any other phone.

verizon will not be getting a nexus phone, they will get the Droid prime, which will have ice cream sandwich but it will not be bloatware free like a true nexus phone.

besides if you go with sprint, u will have 30 days to try out the phone, if u dont like it take it back and get something else, besides by the time it all works out the samsung sgs2 will be out and maybe u will jump ship to that.

sprint is also the most employee friendly for employee discounts, i get 25% off my bill everymonth.

and Yes, the 69 dollar plan includes unlimited calling to ANY mobile carrier, 450 mins to land lines, unlimited data and texting.
personally i usually run about 10-15 mins of the allocated 450 for landlines(who has them anymore anyways?)
include a 10 dollar "premium data add on" for any smart phone and before taxes your talking 79 dollars a month for unlimited everything, a great deal in my book.
with my discount its 59 a month before taxes and fees.

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
UNLIMITED CALLING to ANY mobile phone and it's actually under the $69 plan. Is this for real?
Yes, calling any cell phone on ANY network is FREE. Sprint, even with the $10 smartphone charge, is still the best game in town for plan pricing.

If you want to see who gets the Nexus Prime first, stick it out with your phone and get the prime in the next 3 months or so. If you GOTTA get a phone right now, get the Nexus S 4G on Sprint.

AllenRulz

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
Add $10 onto any Sprint plan when getting a smartphone.

Oh I know, it did it for me. So my total bill is $79 but where I work I get 20% off my bill so for my Sprint plan it will cost me $64 instead of paying $91 with Verizon.... Much better huh?! :p And here I was thinking I might have to go PREPAID.

intheb0x

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
The predecessor to the Nexus S, the Nexus One, is still receiving updates and is on the same version of Gingerbread as its GSM Nexus S counterpart. The Nexus One was the first phone to get Gingerbread after the Nexus S, just like the Nexus S will be the first phone to get Ice Cream Sandwich after the Nexus 3, so no need to worry about future updates.

this is really good info,
i was unware the old nexus was still getting updated, thats good to know that even the first gen nexus is still as up to date as the new flagship nexus is.

i had one for a short time before i sold it for 450, it was a great device, a little small for me, but at the time it was awesome.

it feels good to have a device that is clean as in bloatware free, and up to date as possible.
no waiting for carrier approval, no mindless junk running in the background, no carrier id stealing your info.

no matter what anyone says, the nexus s is a great piece of hardware and can compete (almost) with most devices out right now, it may not be dual core or rocking gbs of ram, but it is just as peppy and worthy as any other device right now.

intheb0x

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
Oh I know, it did it for me. So my total bill is $79 but where I work I get 20% off my bill so for my Sprint plan it will cost me $64 instead of paying $91 with Verizon.... Much better huh?! :p And here I was thinking I might have to go PREPAID.

i would go for it man, also sprint has that new touch screen blackberry torch that is pretty awesome.

i was impressed.

AllenRulz

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
You know i just used my upgrade for the nexus and im reallly happy with it, its just as snappy as a evo 3d and similar, and its bloatware free all while being more up to date then any other phone.

verizon will not be getting a nexus phone, they will get the Droid prime, which will have ice cream sandwich but it will not be bloatware free like a true nexus phone.

besides if you go with sprint, u will have 30 days to try out the phone, if u dont like it take it back and get something else, besides by the time it all works out the samsung sgs2 will be out and maybe u will jump ship to that.

sprint is also the most employee friendly for employee discounts, i get 25% off my bill everymonth.

and Yes, the 69 dollar plan includes unlimited calling to ANY mobile carrier, 450 mins to land lines, unlimited data and texting.
personally i usually run about 10-15 mins of the allocated 450 for landlines(who has them anymore anyways?)
include a 10 dollar "premium data add on" for any smart phone and before taxes your talking 79 dollars a month for unlimited everything, a great deal in my book.
with my discount its 59 a month before taxes and fees.

Do you think the Samsung Galaxy S2 will be good with updates???

intheb0x

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
Do you think the Samsung Galaxy S2 will be good with updates???

samsung does NOT have a good track record with timely updates.

but the sgs2 im pretty sure is coming with 2.3.4.
so thats pretty up to date, but my nexus is at 2.3.5 with 2.3.6 rolling out soon, with some gsm nexus s are having it already.

so if having a pure google experience is more important to you, along with the most up to date phone and 4 inch screen, then the nexus is for you. but its not the strongest with reception and its radio as it should be (remember the nexus s is a samsung made phone) its 1ghz single core with 4 inch super amoled screen.

the galaxy s 2 has been out over seas and is proven so far, it uses a dual core processor that is so good not much can slow it down, its packed full of ram and the screen is a super amoled + at 4.52 inchs.

i will look personally long and hard at the sgs2.

Reactions: mkhall

AllenRulz

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site

so thats pretty up to date, but my nexus is at 2.3.5 with 2.3.6 rolling out soon, with some gsm nexus s are having it already.

so if having a pure google experience is more important to you, along with the most up to date phone and 4 inch screen, then the nexus is for you. but its not the strongest with reception and its radio as it should be (remember the nexus s is a samsung made phone) its 1ghz single core with 4 inch super amoled screen.

the galaxy s 2 has been out over seas and is proven so far, it uses a dual core processor that is so good not much can slow it down, its packed full of ram and the screen is a super amoled + at 4.52 inchs.

Yeah the Nexus S looks to be the phone I want and NEED for my liking. I appreciate ALL the help!!!

intheb0x

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
Yeah the Nexus S looks to be the phone I want and NEED for my liking. I appreciate ALL the help!!!

i am very pleased with it, battery is pretty good.

im running gpa17 peters rom and it flies.

it can be overclocked to 1.4ghz, but i rarely need to push it pass 800.

only thing i miss about other phones is the sd card slot and LED notification,.

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
^+1.

With GPA17, I have my Nexus S 4G downclocked to 800 and its still snappier than my EVO 4G!

BLN (mostly) solves my LED issue, and my COWON music player solves the SD card issue...

intheb0x

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
^+1.

With GPA17, I have my Nexus S 4G downclocked to 800 and its still snappier than my EVO 4G!

BLN (mostly) solves my LED issue, and my COWON music player solves the SD card issue...
nice :)
Yes bln is pretty cool, just too bad we cant increase the brightness of those buttons.

the sd card thing isnt really a big deal to me, it was just more of a hassle to transfer all my data from my sd card to the nexus.

but after that all is well.

but 800mhz is great for a daily driver!

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
The Nexus S 4G has been the best smartphone I have ever owned and really no issues. After the first update that fixed the radios for me, it has been a dream. However, there are some nice devices coming out soon that you may want to look at. Its a difficult choice but I can tell you that if you choose the Nexus S, you wont be disappointed.

mr_fro2000

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Just an fyi, if you don't have a discount thru your employer, go to the comments section of this link, and a very generous individual named Justin Kramp gives his own sprint employee discount code. I used it and i'm paying $70 per month AFTER the $10 per month smartphone discount.

Sprint readies Nexus S 4G update with improved WiMAX performance, we go hands-on (video) -- Engadget

as everyone has mentioned, all the nexus phones will be the 1st to receive updates.

I was thinking about waiting for the nexus prime as well, but I heard that the screensize is 4.5, which is WAY to big for me. I think even 4.3 is too big.

That sealed the deal for me. So im on NS4G, rooted w/ oxygen rom and i haven't looked back. I love this thing.

splmonster

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site

The new agreement that Google signed with just about every manufacturer will change that. 18 month update cycle on all new devices after May 2011. The GSM version of the GS2 has already received like 4 updates so far.

AllenRulz

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
i am very pleased with it, battery is pretty good.

im running gpa17 peters rom and it flies.

it can be overclocked to 1.4ghz, but i rarely need to push it pass 800.

only thing i miss about other phones is the sd card slot and LED notification,.

I'm a newbie when it comes to overclocking a phone ect. I have a Blackberry storm which is my FIRST smart phone. So do I HAVE to root this phone to overclock? (which I assume makes it faster) or how do i get it faster?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chao