Is it possible to switch SIM cards?

zeitgeaust

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
hai guise,('n' gals)

I am a current BlackBerry owner on verizon, and I am pretty tired of BB(It is a 9530 :mad:). I was thinking of picking up a Droid on eBay and selling the BB, at a loss, to get a much needed upgrade. Btw I am only 9 months into my 2 yr deal. BUT... Can I place my active Verizon SIM into the Droid and be hunky-dory, or do I need the help of a rep? Mucho Gusto for your tiem
Z

daThomas#AC

Jan 10, 2010
Visit site
My understanding is that the Droid does not use a sim card. You can still easily transfer your number of course.

There is an advantage to having a phone without a sim card; it can't be stolen and reused by someone else by simply dropping their sim into it. This is why iPhones are stolen and resold so easily.

zeitgeaust

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
hmmm.. that is pretty interesting, but it does tell me i have to involve reps at VZW,... grrr that place is a mad house. Thanks for the answer man!

mjones73

Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
Your phone is tied to your account via the phone's ESN, use caution buying one used, make sure the ESN isn't blacklisted with Verizon or they will not activate it.

dancingcrab

Feb 16, 2010
www.dancingcrabspeaks.blogspot.com
hai guise,('n' gals)

I am a current BlackBerry owner on verizon, and I am pretty tired of BB(It is a 9530 :mad:). I was thinking of picking up a Droid on eBay and selling the BB, at a loss, to get a much needed upgrade. Btw I am only 9 months into my 2 yr deal. BUT... Can I place my active Verizon SIM into the Droid and be hunky-dory, or do I need the help of a rep? Mucho Gusto for your tiem
Z

No VZW handsets use SIMs. SIMs are part and parcel of GSM wireless technology - which, incidentally, is what is used by the majority of the world's wireless providers. It's advantage is that you can move SIMs around easily (although this has drawbacks, as mentioned by daThomas) and the technology allows for simultaneous voice and data transfers (as ATT LOVE to brag about on their TV ads).

However, VZW (and Sprint) here in the US use CMDA. CDMA is dependent on ESNs, serial numbers that are linked to your mobile number. It's considered a lesser tech to GSM, but as VZW is the country's most reliable and widespread network, it lives on and continues to be a strong contender. CDMA also has a tendency to better penetrate things like brick and concrete walls - ever notice that even in areas with good ATT coverage, iPhone users often drop calls when they walk into a building?

ericatomars06

Dec 10, 2009
Visit site
No VZW handsets use SIMs. SIMs are part and parcel of GSM wireless technology - which, incidentally, is what is used by the majority of the world's wireless providers. It's advantage is that you can move SIMs around easily (although this has drawbacks, as mentioned by daThomas) and the technology allows for simultaneous voice and data transfers (as ATT LOVE to brag about on their TV ads).

However, VZW (and Sprint) here in the US use CMDA. CDMA is dependent on ESNs, serial numbers that are linked to your mobile number. It's considered a lesser tech to GSM, but as VZW is the country's most reliable and widespread network, it lives on and continues to be a strong contender. CDMA also has a tendency to better penetrate things like brick and concrete walls - ever notice that even in areas with good ATT coverage, iPhone users often drop calls when they walk into a building?

-Well said.... :)

It's no big deal going from one phone to the other. They can switch over the phone in a five minutes then upload your numbers and your good to go. Just as stated as before if you wanna get a used phone ask for the serial number on the phone and double check with verizon first before buying it because its that phones been reported stolen,.. its forever dead!

Last edited:

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
yeah, as long as the Droid has a clean ESN, you can activate it on your line without any problems. Unlike the Droid, some of the world phones like the tour and Storm 2 have sim cards but those are only used for international travel on GSM networks or on at&t/tmobile if you have your phone unlocked. Eventhough your Storm has a sim card, it serves zero purpose and doesn't even have to be in your phone when using it on verizon.

dancingcrab

Feb 16, 2010
www.dancingcrabspeaks.blogspot.com
Erica and DeeMat: Thanks for the props :)

yeah, as long as the Droid has a clean ESN, you can activate it on your line without any problems. Unlike the Droid, some of the world phones like the tour and Storm 2 have sim cards but those are only used for international travel on GSM networks or on at&t/tmobile if you have your phone unlocked. Eventhough your Storm has a sim card, it serves zero purpose and doesn't even have to be in your phone when using it on verizon.

I completely forgot that the 9530 is a 'World Phone' - makes sense that the OP would have thought his VZW device was SIM-based.

As a side, I'd strongly recommend against anyone using an unlocked, globally-capable BlackBerry on ATT - IIRC, they don't support the 3G bands!! Being stuck with EDGE would be no fun...

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
yeah, it's the same way with tmobile. So eventhough you can unlock a tour, storm 1/2, touch pro 2, etc, the best you're going to get is EDGE on the US GSM networks as the 3G bands they use aren't available on the Verizon world phones.

takeshi

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
As a side, I'd strongly recommend against anyone using an unlocked, globally-capable BlackBerry on ATT - IIRC, they don't support the 3G bands!! Being stuck with EDGE would be no fun...
It really depends on the specific device that you're talking about.

That's not completely true, most Verizon Blackberries (Storm 1&2, Tour, 8830) are "world phones" and have both CDMA and GSM radios and do contain a SIM card BUT the SIM only works overseas.
The 8830 only supports international bands but the 9530 does support domestic -- just not at&t's 3G (not sure about TMO's). Again, you have to consider what the specific device does and doesn't support.

Verizon's intent is certainly that they're only to be used for international roaming.

Last edited:

exmeaguy

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
What is meant by a "clean ESN"? How would I know (verify) if I bought a phone off of ebay that it really had a clean ESN before I bought it?

Menno

Coffee Addict
Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
What is meant by a "clean ESN"? How would I know (verify) if I bought a phone off of ebay that it really had a clean ESN before I bought it?

Contact the guy selling, ask for the ESN. He should give it to you.

Call customer service, give them the ESN and ask them to check it for you.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
orubahealth