Is it worth going to a Gingerbread ROM?

shinji669

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

I am new to the forums and to rooting my phone. My TB is now rooted. I have done this mainly to get free Mobile Hotspot. Is it worth it for me to move to a Gingerbread ROM and what would the benefits be?

Thanks!
J

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
If you have to ask, then I'd have to say it's not worth it... stay stock... if you change to a custom Gingerbread ROM, then you'll have to update it to stay current... and have to continue updating it every so often.

Reactions: waker and shinji669

mikestorm

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
Many of the ROMs you can now use combine GB with aspects of Sense 3.0.

Sense 3.0 is pretty neat. That would be one motivation to try different ROMs.

waker

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
I researched android for about two months before i rooted. If you break it you need to be able to fix it.

Sent from my Bolt via Tapatalk.

shinji669

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I actually don't use Sense, I use LauncherPro Plus. I have been looking at possibly of changing to Liquid Thunderbread 2.3 since I have been reading alot of good things about battery life with it. (my batt life stinks! and I am not a heavy user but on 4G) I like the set up on Launcherpro not sure it would work with a ROM anyway.

spartanguy81

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
It all just kinda depends on what you want. I also originally rooted for the sake of wireless tether. I was stock rooted for about 2 days before I figured I would check for myself what the fuss was all about. I really thought that I liked the stock rom, but sense 3.0 is really nice i think. Some people don't like sense at all, some people like to switch back and forth. I've never really had any battery or radio problems (well MR1 was kinda bad for me) so for me its really about asthetics...I love my custom notification bar, semi-transparent app drawer, custom font and the general look of sense 3.0.

As far as updating, I don't think its really that big of a deal...I loved Das Bamf Sense 3.0 RC 4.9...I could have stayed happy with that for a long time, changed merely for the sake of change. The nice thing about the dev community is that they are always way ahead of what Verizon is going to give you. Even if OTA gingerbread came out today the TBolt still wouldn't have sense 3.0.

For everyone its a personal preference, even after you decide to try a custom rom, you will come here and ask which one to try and you will get a hundred different answers (my vote is for Bamf Forever btw)...then again you might just decide you like a phone that works and that you can use as a mobile hotspot and don't need that kind of customization and then stick with stock rooted.

Just do what works for you.

Reactions: shinji669

shinji669

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Thanks. Gonna play with the idea in my head for a little longer first. Then I think the techie in me will give a new Rom a try. Gonna read up a lot first to make sure I don't brick the damn thing.

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
If you want quick settings in the notification pulldown and/or video gchat, or sense 3.0 then yes. Otherwise no.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yandi90