Is Motorola moving towards no carrier updates?

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
If this is any indication, I think it's possible:
http://www.droid-life.com/2013/08/2...lay-should-make-adding-new-features-a-breeze/
Given that Google now owns moto, this places them in the perfect position to move all of the APIs on moto phones off of the phone and into Google Play Store just like they've done with all the Google apps, and the above app. Updates to the Android OS could then bypass both motorola and carriers and all of the manufacturer specific features could then be handled via Play just as they are with Play Services

Kruger2147

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
I think that Google is moving away from manufacture updates. Most of the stock android apps are in the play store, and they update our phones all the time through Google Play Services. Motorola is just getting all the attention right now.

Posted via Android Central App

jpriest007

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Would be nice not having to wait on carriers. Who like to stall updates to serve their roll out timetable for new phones. I have Verizon and as much as I like their service. The way they release updates drives you crazy. And no I don't want to change carriers. Where I live if you don't have Verizon or AT&T your service sucks.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Yes. It appears Motorola is taking a page out of the Google Android playbook by taking "core" apps and moving them into the Play Store. That means we won't have to wait for a system update to get updates to the Touchless Control feature.

But just watch. People will STILL complain that these new Motorola devices aren't running the latest version of Android.

Whiners gonna whine.

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
There are cases where an update the the OS itself bring many OS level changes, such as all the things that came going from GB to ICS. Google Now was also another notable addition

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
I think it only shows that Google is moving to allow certain features to be updated without having to change the OS. Unless Google locks down the hardware requirements for Android (which would likely mean that it wouldn't be open source any more), the manufacturers will always be a part of OS updates. It's great that they're separating features from the OS, though.