Is now the time to head to Android?

nikoboxxx

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
So I have been a fan of Android since I first heard what it was and have always seen a huge potential for it, but... I have yet to get an android phone. Now that I see more and more phones hitting the market and have had a chance to play with some, I'm feeling the need for some android. I played around with the Motorola Droid and other than its crappy keyboard and slideout mechanism in general, I LOVE IT.

I am a blackberry user, but I feel like its time to give Android some love, as a secondary device for now...

I have two questions:

1) Can I use most apps with access to only WiFi? I realize I won't be able to use something like Google Turn by Turn navigation with just WiFi, but how about apps like Google Voice? I'm also assuming I can use most apps, like a browser and gmail, with simply WiFi.

2) What Android device do I get? I am on T-Mobile, so I'm thinking a MyTouch 3G is the way to go, that way I can pop my sim card in should I want to use it as a phone. I also think the HTC Hero looks pretty nice though.. can any of the CDMA devices be unlocked for GSM carriers?

Thanks.. looking forward to spending sometime with Android and on androidcentral...

Rusty Shackelford

Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
1) Yes
2) I have the my touch. I love it. I don't think any of the cdma android devices are equipped with gsm radios, but even if they were it is not likely you could get 3g on them.

I say, take the jump, but give it a bit. There is a learning/comfort curve that needs to be broken down a little, but once you integrate with gmail apps and get a feel for it you will wonder why you haven't left the berry yet. That being said, there are some who simply can't leave there berrys (yet). I thought I was one of them, but boy was I wrong. Good luck.

nikoboxxx

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Thanks Rusty..

I have a feeling I would be the same way.. I am planning on the MyTouch 3G rooted to run the HTC firmware since I hear so many good things about the Sense UI! (So nice link on the sig ;))

Rusty Shackelford

Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Truth is I was a BB fanatic and when I got a hold of the MT I was sure for the first couple days I had made a mistake. After a couple days on the forum and forcing myself to let go of my beloved physical keyboard, I was hooked and the BB was history. I think there are few people, that if they gave android a fighting chance, would stick with there berry. I truly don't think you will be disappointed, that is until the next android phone comes out. :)

mrmoe110

Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Wait....

I say definitely go Android...but wait until at least the end of January. Theres a little something called Nexus One that looks like its coming down the TMO pipeline :D

nikoboxxx

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
I say definitely go Android...but wait until at least the end of January. Theres a little something called Nexus One that looks like its coming down the TMO pipeline :D

I'm inpatient! HA.. we'll see how it goes.. The HTC Legend looks a little bit more my style..