Is root needed to turn on airplane mode and keep wifi on in 4.2

bankmaggot

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
So I'm trying to follow the guide on the xda Samsung galaxy nexus T-Mobile $30 to automatically turn on airplane mode using tasker. I've ran into a problem due to android 4.2:

Important Note for Android 4.2+: With the release of Android 4.2, Google changed how applications are able to access Android's Airplane Mode setting - that is, they can't. AutoAP (which as of now hasn't been updated since January 2012) WILL NOT work for this purpose. Tasker can still be used, but you will have to incorporate the free SecureSettings plugin to manage Airplane Mode. Install the plugin, launch the application and follow the steps to install the Helper, and then replace all following references to "Net -> Airplane Mode" with "Plugin -> Secure Settings -> Configuration (edit) -> Helper Action -> Airplane Mode". The same goes for the Airplane Radios setting.

I downloaded the plugin but it seems like i can't install cos it needs Root access? This is my first smart phone n I don't want to mess with bricking it before ever having the chance to make a call on it. Any suggestions?

josegb2011

May 2, 2012
Visit site
Just to verify you have a nexus 4? because it says you Are following the galaxy nexus xda forums...this forums are for nexus 4 phones. And to answer your question couldn't you just turn on Wi-Fi after you put airplane mode on

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
This is not going to solve your problem, but an interesting option nonetheless...

Open the phone app and dial *#*#4636#*#* (4636 spells "INFO"). Tap on Phone information, scroll down to the Turn off radio button and tap. Hit Home or back -> back to exit Info mode.

This appears to turn off the cellular radio without affecting Wi-Fi or Bluetooth status. To turn the radio back on, just repeat the steps - OR - hold the power button until the pop up menu appears; note that it says Airplane mode is currently on. Just tap to turn off and restore normal mode.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randomname09