Is the G4 still worth buying?

hrrsncrawford

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
Currently have a Nexus 5X which has been plagued with bugs and issues for a good minute... Thinking bout looking into the LG G4 as a secondary phone, would you still recommend it as a good buy ?

Posted via the Android Central App

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Re: G4 still worth it ?

Currently have a Nexus 5X which has been plagued with bugs and issues for a good minute... Thinking bout looking into the LG G4 as a secondary phone, would you still recommend it as a good buy ?

I say it is. If you can find it at a good price that'll make it a good deal. However, you my need to wait until the G5 is released to get it at a worthwhile price.

kraze4u

Jan 19, 2016
Visit site

Buy it off bhphotovideo.com, they are $399 right now for the international unlocked version. You could probably get it for $350 if you shop around.

cw0974

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site

I literally just got mine 3 days ago. I waited until LG introduced the G5. I don't really see how the G5 is that much of an upgrade from the G4. I personally like the G4's look a lot more than the G5. Also, as mentioned above, you can find mint or new (resale) on swappa or even amazon for really cheap now. I bought mine new for 285.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site

I'd suggest only buying new so you get the factory warranty (and may not be a bad idea to buy an extended warranty, but that's my feeling on any modern phone). The boot looping issue with early models would have me too worried about buying a used one. I'd only consider buying a used one if it were well outside the affected range and at a great price. My original one was supposedly outside that range, being a 509 S/N, but it did loop on me. The newer the better in that regard. I'm pretty sure the factory warranty doesn't transfer to secondary owners.

Joshua Luther2

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
I'd say go for it. I got mine new on Swappa for $300. It has a manufactured date of October. So it's 510. Should be good. I ended up selling my iPhone 6 plus for $525. So I made a $225 profit. The iPhone definitely is overpriced IMHO. This phone is so comfortable to hold with its curved back. The camera is outstanding. Although shooting 4k videos will quickly drain the battery. I simply love having three different camera modes. There's simple, auto and manual. Simple allows you to touch to focus and take a picture. Much like the Moto X. It's useful when you want to snap a quick picture. One thing to keep in mind is if you go to a sporting event for a few hours and you use your phone to shoot videos, it will run the battery down pretty much all the way. But that's to be expected.

starztruk

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Definitely is. I got my G4 last summer and don't plan on upgrading until sometime next year (it's that good). Also, I would recommend going to mobilefun.com for additional leather cases, if you're interested. They're less expensive than on LG's website and I was FINALLY able to get the beige leather back.

TheChosenDoge

Feb 19, 2016
Visit site

It is a excellent phone and TMO has it on sale still for 399.99$ full retail price I gave up Note 4 and PRIV for it and I won't ever go back :D love this epic Zerolemon 8500Mah Battery TPU case as well

revelations65

Jun 24, 2015
Visit site
Until an manufacture comes on with out of this world battery life. And along they keep doing patches update I quite satisfied at the time the camera is brilliant I have a spare battery and you can purchase a G4 for under 300 pounds good bang for the pound or dollar so yes

Last edited:

Trent9810

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
I still love my LG G4. If I had to get another phone right now I'd also look at the v10 and 6p.

TheChosenDoge

Feb 19, 2016
Visit site
I still love my LG G4. If I had to get another phone right now I'd also look at the v10 and 6p.

V10 seems like a decent phone but my next one will probably be the G5 but due to its module battery I don't see any extended batteries coming out for it :( unless it's a module but makes the bottom of the phone much bigger instead of replacing the entire back

We'll see what happens but once I've had a extended battery it's hard to go back to regular even if they are easy to switch out

I still love my G4 and since it's well adopted in cases, accessories and such I usually wait awhile to upgrade dud to there is always bugs with new stuff

Anyone know the price of LG-G5 battery modules?

missouriexile

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
I am still happy with my G4. Usually by 9 months in I am drooling over the latest & greatest. But for some reason I still find the G4 satisfying.
(My two cents. )

ShaneRay

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
With the prices down, I'd say the G4 is probably the best new buy (wouldn't buy used) out there right now.

It will easily do everything a current flagship will do with, perhaps, the exception being high-end gaming. Even there it will do OK. And....the camera: still one of the best out there.

Love mine and have no urge to upgrade unless there's a quantum leap in mobile tech.

tardus

May 26, 2014
Visit site
On T-Mobile at least the G4 is the best option for a top of the line phone at a mid range price. Compared to other mid range phones - the G4's camera is still excellent. On T-mobile if you're looking for a"mid-range" phone - around Between $300 and $400 and the pickings are slim.

Rich215

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Coming from using Nexus devices and windows phones in the past 1.5 years......

Love the camera on my Icon.....but Win10 is a possible issue, though it ran well in the last few insider builds it has issues with using a Band which are not present running 8.1.

Nexus 6.......scored it last December new for $248........killer deal and this phone is almost perfect for me...........but needs to be 5.5 and have a better camera to be my daily D.

Enter the LG G4 a month ago for $299 new ( + $23 for extra 2nd year warranty).........first time I allowed myself to buy a carrier specific phone besides the Icon....(Icon had little bloat issues and what was there was easily removed from being any issue). At first I was upset because the UI got hampered or neutered on the G4 got as soon as it was activated on Vzn network....ewww debloater time (taking out the ability to use the free FM radio really ticked me off!).....then mess with launchers that I never had to deal with before.....found a few good ones....but Nova did everything I needed and more.

Now after using the phone for some time......I do long for my Nexus clean interface and use. But the phone is so capable for me and my needs, wants, desires. Now I am addicted to the power and volume buttons on the back, and tap to wake... those is just pure excellent for me. The camera is like a dessert for an android phone. Size is perfect and with the huge screen ratio......cant ask for more especially with the ergonomics of handling this phone even with my ballistic jewel case. Made it so easy to one hand and huge protection as well.

The Nexus 5x was the only other phone I looked for....but it is a little too mid-line for me. If it had 3mb ram....maybe not an issue at all. Nexus 6P is cool and very nice.....just dont want anything over 5.5 now. I find 5 to 5.5 is doable for me.

Im pretty happy with the G4 and it just took time to adjust to with its UI and messing with launchers. I still have the N6 and Icon as backup and will use the Icon often for a camera when Im out fishing all the time. N6 I just cant bare to part with because it is such a smooth and excellent Nexus device (even though I also have a 2013 N7).

So if you do not need the clean swift un-feathered Nexus experience, the LG G4 is one heck of a phone now with the discounted prices you can get one for. I would never elect to go touch wiz or iOS ever.....ever ever. haaaa

I was waiting out the releases from late 2015 and early 2016..........The G5 sort of let me down as far as not being a upgraded variant of the G4, but something of a new animal all together. Not to say that's bad....just is not something I would feel is a vertical upgrade on the whole.

With same size phone almost and smaller screen.....1st neg.
Moved the volume button(s) off the back......2nd neg.
Seemingly not any better camera.....3 neg. (verdict still out on that for now seems).
COST compared to the discounted phones released months and months ago.

TheChosenDoge

Feb 19, 2016
Visit site
Coming from using Nexus devices and windows phones in the past 1.5 years......

Love the camera on my Icon.....but Win10 is a possible issue, though it ran well in the last few insider builds it has issues with using a Band which are not present running 8.1.

Nexus 6.......scored it last December new for $248........killer deal and this phone is almost perfect for me...........but needs to be 5.5 and have a better camera to be my daily D.

Enter the LG G4 a month ago for $299 new ( + $23 for extra 2nd year warranty).........first time I allowed myself to buy a carrier specific phone besides the Icon....(Icon had little bloat issues and what was there was easily removed from being any issue). At first I was upset because the UI got hampered or neutered on the G4 got as soon as it was activated on Vzn network....ewww debloater time (taking out the ability to use the free FM radio really ticked me off!).....then mess with launchers that I never had to deal with before.....found a few good ones....but Nova did everything I needed and more.

Now after using the phone for some time......I do long for my Nexus clean interface and use. But the phone is so capable for me and my needs, wants, desires. Now I am addicted to the power and volume buttons on the back, and tap to wake... those is just pure excellent for me. The camera is like a dessert for an android phone. Size is perfect and with the huge screen ratio......cant ask for more especially with the ergonomics of handling this phone even with my ballistic jewel case. Made it so easy to one hand and huge protection as well.

The Nexus 5x was the only other phone I looked for....but it is a little too mid-line for me. If it had 3mb ram....maybe not an issue at all. Nexus 6P is cool and very nice.....just dont want anything over 5.5 now. I find 5 to 5.5 is doable for me.

Im pretty happy with the G4 and it just took time to adjust to with its UI and messing with launchers. I still have the N6 and Icon as backup and will use the Icon often for a camera when Im out fishing all the time. N6 I just cant bare to part with because it is such a smooth and excellent Nexus device (even though I also have a 2013 N7).

So if you do not need the clean swift un-feathered Nexus experience, the LG G4 is one heck of a phone now with the discounted prices you can get one for. I would never elect to go touch wiz or iOS ever.....ever ever. haaaa

I was waiting out the releases from late 2015 and early 2016..........The G5 sort of let me down as far as not being a upgraded variant of the G4, but something of a new animal all together. Not to say that's bad....just is not something I would feel is a vertical upgrade on the whole.

With same size phone almost and smaller screen.....1st neg.
Moved the volume button(s) off the back......2nd neg.
Seemingly not any better camera.....3 neg. (verdict still out on that for now seems).
COST compared to the discounted phones released months and months ago.

Good read :) was at chapter length lol

tardus

May 26, 2014
Visit site
T-Mobile dropped the price to $350 new - with 1 yr warranty of course. That is a killer deal - assuming you get one that's not old stock.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Samira