Is the phone worth getting now with the 4.0.4?

Tiko7523

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
I had this phone when it launched and it was just terrible signal strength wise, how much has the new update improved this? I really would like to give this another chance but I need to know its better and worthwhile or I'll just wait for maybe the s3 or razr hd .

any insight would be helpful

Ken7

May 25, 2011
Visit site
NO! I used to get 4G in my house and I no longer get it! My speeds are about 1/10 of what they had been prior to the update now that I'm locked in 3G. Stay away!

byrds8

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
My signal hasnt ever really been bad but I get about the exact same as I did before. the 4G/3G switches are much faster now though.

DJBigBenVA

Feb 6, 2010
Visit site
Get it and take it home and use it. If you don't like the performance or signal strength, then return it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Ken7

May 25, 2011
Visit site
My switches are faster now too. I go from 3G to 3G instantaneously. I've yet to see 4G since the update. My Tab 7.7 is sitting here with 4G, no problem.

Thanks Verizon, thanks Samsung, thanks Google.

Ken7

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Get it and take it home and use it. If you don't like the performance or signal strength, then return it.

How do I return it when I've had it since the launch date? Unfortunately I'm stuck with it.

The Rezound had much better radios before, now from where I'm sitting with this 'update', the Rezound trounces my POS Nexus.

Wonder if there's a way to roll back to 4.02?

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
How do I return it when I've had it since the launch date? Unfortunately I'm stuck with it.

The Rezound had much better radios before, now from where I'm sitting with this 'update', the Rezound trounces my POS Nexus.

Wonder if there's a way to roll back to 4.02?

Have you tried rebooting your device? A reset? Rooting and flashing?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

Tiko7523

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
some people have it around 350 on craiglist so I can't just try it out and return it.

still seems like a faulty product tho

damn you Samsung

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
some people have it around 350 on craiglist so I can't just try it out and return it.

still seems like a faulty product tho

damn you Samsung

I would reserve judgment until more devices have 4.0.4. Individual, scattered user experiences do lend themselves to accurate portrayals of anything.

Reactions: luke31

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I had this phone when it launched and it was just terrible signal strength wise, how much has the new update improved this? I really would like to give this another chance but I need to know its better and worthwhile or I'll just wait for maybe the s3 or razr hd .

any insight would be helpful

At this point the way I look at it is this. The GNex is not for everyone. What the GNex has to offer is never going to overshadow the hype and/or marketing of the more "mainstream" line of phones.

If you are happy with what you are using right now, keep using it.

craigrn16

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
Haven't had any issues since I've updated. To be honest I didn't really have that much issues before the update. Just slow hand over from 4G to 3G and vise versa. Anyway the update seems to have fixed that and the phone runs smoother. Its up to you though. Try it for 14 days. If you don't like it return it. I personally would just wait til the Galaxy S3 at this point in the game.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

menschmaschine5

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I haven't done that much since getting the update this morning, but my phone reports a better signal consistently now. Not that it was bad before...

collegedub

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
NO! I used to get 4G in my house and I no longer get it! My speeds are about 1/10 of what they had been prior to the update now that I'm locked in 3G. Stay away!

Did you try a battery pull or restart, or anything? Perhaps a quick call to Verizon could straighten it out. I don't think a possible temporary hiccup in 4G service after an update is cause to say the phone isn't worth getting.

I love my phone and have since I got it at x-mas. I love it even more with 4.0.4. The data switching is better. I only recently rooted it but no Roms yet. It just works.

My $0.02

-Alan

Reactions: dmmarck

metz65

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
It was worth getting before the update if you had the patience to deal with Verizon till you got a good one.

Yes this update will fix some of the problems people have reported, but it won't be a magical fix that makes the Nexus a trouble free mythical super phone, because hardware is also a problem with some of them.

My first 3 were essentially unusable as a phone due to cell signal issues. No data drops no rebooting none of the other reported problems just no cell signal up to 75% of the time my phone was on.

My 4'th one worked fine no issues what so ever. I was offered a maxx or a rezound twice and refused due to my own personal preferences for getting the Nexus to begin with.

This phone has been the biggest PITA I have ever dealt with cell phone wise, but now that I have one that functions properly I honestly see nothing on the release horizon that I would give this phone up for.

Get it have some patience and you won't be disappointed.

Reactions: pauldroidr2d2

Blueydwlf

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site

Maybe a call to Verizon and its something they can adjust on their end. I've also heard pulling the battery and sim for a few moments sometimes helps with issues. If nothing else a factory reset may fix it as we'll. If you've tried all that and nothing then I'd start worrying. I've always felt its wise to do a factory reset after an update anyways just to ensure everything is running normally and as well as possible.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

LBTRS

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Well, I'll give it some more time but the initial impression isn't good. My GN still isn't activated and I'm using my RAZR MAXX so I can't test but my son completed the update last night and we went on a trip this morning.

Once we left suburban Phoenix he had NO signal and couldn't use his phone at all for data or cell. I had constant signal the entire trip with my MAXX. He said in the past he would drop signal in this area but would have it sometimes, now with the 4.0.4 he had no signal all morning. He rebooted and cycled data to try and get it back without success.

For this reason I'm going to stick with my RAZR MAXX as the issues seem to continue with the GN.

g1toevo678

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
If you've already gone the route of getting replacements and they all had the same problem, then you probably want to stay away from it. I think one of the factors in the signal problem, in addition to hardware and software, is location.

And with Galaxy S3 and Razr HD right around the corner, probability of buyer's remorse is high IMO.

Sent from my GT-P6210 using Tapatalk 2