Is the TB still worth it, even in a non LTE area?

SpikeJones

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
I love ALL the thunderbolt's specs and features
The screen, the cameras, the weight, the size, etc.
(The battery worries me, but I think that If I turn off fetching emails automatically, then I should be fine)

But, I do not live in a LTE area, so is this phone really worth waiting for and getting?

I have been following many android news sites, and forums every day since January, and I can handle a few more weeks, but I want to know if waiting is even worth it.

I understand the incredible S hasn't come to the US yet, right?
(Correct me If I am wrong)

I guess the next best phone in verizon would be the Droid X, right?
But even the X has it's EOL coming up, and I do not really want to wait any much more longer for the X2 or even the Incredible S, whenever those phones may be coming.

I think the droid X is a really stunning phone, but I also like the front facing camera of the TB, and sense UI.

So, even though I am not in a LTE area, should I stick with the TB, and continue trudging through this and not surrender to the X?

PhxBlue

Super Geek
Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
I would have been sold on the X had it had a better camera sensor. It may not matter to some but i take lotsa pics of my kids and it was poor. I returned it.

psycho_maniac

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
imo i think the thunderbolt is a good phone.
newer snapdragon proessor,
newer camera
the thing that sells me is the 4.3" screen.
oh and its htc and the bootloader wont be locked down

i have the incredible so this is a upgrade for me. mosly the big screen. i wont be getting LTE for another year.

prakash99

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
it's the front facing camera / video chat that attracts me to phone. Well, the other LTE phones coming later also have this feature but I like HTC phones. It will either be HTC or Samsung. I loved Samsung Fascinate but I had issues with the bluetooth not working when headphone jack was plugged in. I don't know how LG is although I used to have LG Voyager. I'm gonna pass on Bionic despite its dual core processor. I usually stay away from Motorola phones.

psycho_maniac

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
oops i forgot about the fcc, yeah that too lol. i actually dont care about the lte part. as i said i wont get lte for like another year

CrotchBat

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
I don't live in an LTE area and I'm still buying this thing for sure. The battery won't even be an issue for us because we won't have the 4G radio turned on(that's what kills a battery). I will probably get 4G in my area in a year or so, therefore at least I'll be ready for it when it comes.

asianrage

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
IMHO, if you are one of the many who changes phone every year, and your area doesn't have LTE (for the next 6months), then why should you wait for the Thunderbolt?

prakash99

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
IMHO, if you are one of the many who changes phone every year, and your area doesn't have LTE (for the next 6months), then why should you wait for the Thunderbolt?

Just for the heck of it. In my case anyways. And maybe because of the front facing camera . .to try skype video calls (or Tango or Fring)

asianrage

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Just for the heck of it. In my case anyways. And maybe because of the front facing camera . .to try skype video calls (or Tango or Fring)

Meh. If it weren't for LTE and the network and the actual hardware, I might have gone with either TMO's HD7 or GS4G, or the iPhone.

Chrisy

Banned
Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I don't live in LTE but I'm getting the TB. I'll travel to LTE areas once in a while so I'll test it out then.

I live close to LTE so maybe in a year I'll have it.

But I'm getting the TB for its other features. Not LTE.

Reactions: Raiders Fan 223

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
(IMO) If the T-bolt is as good as advertise then it's worth having. Knowing Verizon determination - it won't be long before other areas have 4G coverage.

dwhitman

Mar 26, 2010
Visit site
I love ALL the thunderbolt's specs and features
The screen, the cameras, the weight, the size, etc.
(The battery worries me, but I think that If I turn off fetching emails automatically, then I should be fine)

But, I do not live in a LTE area, so is this phone really worth waiting for and getting?

Not a big fan or Samsung or Moto, particularly since Moto is locking down their phones so tightly lately.

TB is basically an upgraded Evo (main improvement is the GPU).

I've been insanely happy with my Evo in an area where I'm lucky to get 3g let alone Sprint's 4g (Wimax). I'd get an Evo again without hesitation, and when I jump to Verizon later this year I will get a TB even though I don't expect to see LTE during the life of the phone. (Unless something even better from HTC comes along on Verizon in the interim).

Comineeyeaha

Apr 11, 2010
Visit site
For me, the 4G isn't the biggest selling point, and this is coming from someone who will have LTE within a couple months. Sure, it'll be nice to have, tethering will be sweet, but it's the phone itself that sells me. HTC, huge screen (my 4" fascinate felt a tad small), new snapdragon, skype, eventually netflix. What's not to love?

Side note: I'm getting dish network soon and just found out about their sling dvr. I can send live TV to my phone! That's where 4G will come in handy.

SpikeJones

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
Thank you so much for your helpful responses!

I think that I am pretty sold out on this phone, and like many of you said, LTE is not the most important thing. Plus, Verizon's 3G is pretty fast.

prakash99

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
I don't live in LTE but I'm getting the TB. I'll travel to LTE areas once in a while so I'll test it out then.

I live close to LTE so maybe in a year I'll have it.

But I'm getting the TB for its other features. Not LTE.

Same here :)

I want this one for:
*Front-Facing Camera and Video Chat
*Baked in Skype Contacts (if that has not been taken out as rumored, but not a biggie)
*4.3" screen - sometimes size does matter
*htcsense.com (my reason for picking TB over Revolution, Bionic or Stealth V)

As for LTE, my situation is just like Chrisy's. I can use LTE whenever I am in Boston.

Dirty Ders

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
The Droid X is truly awesome and there isn’t and end of line to it either, it will receive updates to the Android OS just like the original Droid does. Oh, and the camera on the X rocks.

Front facing cameras are really only useful on fast connections, so you can rule out the use of it if you only have 3G. Wi-Fi Skype and other apps can remedy this, but just be warned you won’t be able to always use it if you don’t have LTE coverage.

One thing you will get with the Droid X that the TB doesn’t have yet and wont for a really long time is: TONS of user knowledge and user support, along with a huge selection of accessories that have been tried and tested.

prakash99

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
One thing you will get with the Droid X that the TB doesn?t have yet and wont for a really long time is: TONS of user knowledge and user support, along with a huge selection of accessories that have been tried and tested.

Any new phone will start with a very little user support - and will grow rapidly from then onwards. Isn't it so?

Dirty Ders

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
Yup, that is so.

I am just the type of person that would rather have a couple of months worth of user support to reference if anything goes wrong.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raju6600