Is there an app that will read out loud text notifications, and the texts?

sidetrail4

Nov 5, 2017
Visit site
I had to retire my Windows Phone 8.1 upate due to it no longer being supported by MS and Windows Phone 10 would be a
waste of money since they are soon to kill that too. So I got an Android phone and am finding I miss a few features
of the Windows Phone. Most missed is Cortana being able to speak to me that I had a new text message from a person
then asking me if I wanted her to read it or ignore it. If I said "read it", she would read it outloud and then ask,
"Do you want to reply or are you done?" This was an awesome feature that was very helpful while working on the car, doing yard work or something where the phone wasn't readily accessable. All I had to do was say "Read it", without taking the phone out of my pocket or searching for it. - So all you Android users, do you know of an app that will do the same thing?
Cortana on Android won't, OK Google won't. Please let me know if there is anything like this available. Thanks!

Last edited:

Jaime Andres

Oct 25, 2017
Visit site
Ok Google doors every thing you are inquiring about and more..don't know why you are under the impression it doesn't..maybe you need to simply retrain it..it has that option too..you can even open every existing app on your phone just by voice..try this one: "ok, Google.....turn the flash light on"..you'll be surprise!!!

sidetrail4

Nov 5, 2017
Visit site
Thank you for the response. I was inquiring about Cortana on Andoid. I may dump it and use Google Assistant instead.

Will Google Assistant read me text notications? When a text message comes in will it speak out loud, "You have a text from(persons name), do you want to read it or ignore it ?" That's the functionality Cortana had, that I miss. Thanks again for the replies .

Vertego

Nov 4, 2017
Visit site
So far, in my limited experience with Android, this may be a common complaint from previous Windows Phone/Windows Mobile users. But with good reason. The Android experience doesn't come close.

My phone stays in my pocket always while driving. Absolutely no visual or physical interaction. The Cortana on Windows perpetuated that. It would announce text messages, offer to read/ignore/reply etc. Cortana on Android doesn't come close, and so far as I know nor does any alternative (please correct me if I'm wrong).

As MS seem to be continually developing their Android presence they will bring Cortana up to where it has been on Windows phones.