Is this Sprint's last straw before....

brianonthehill

May 27, 2012
Visit site
Just a thought. Is this Sprint's last desperate attempt to cut their data load before we see the end of unlimited data plans on Sprint? Connection optimizer is a failure for the end user. When traveling and listening to iheart, It connects to ANY unsecured access point no matter how weak it is. You pass by someones house and the optmizer connects even though you were only in range for a few seconds. Had to turn it off.

Fraydog

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
No I doubt that. It is a move to try to keep what's left of the old network from exploding while they are in the process of transitioning to Network Vision.

brianonthehill

May 27, 2012
Visit site
Cool. I live in the sticks 65 miles east of Dallas and they just upgraded on the tower here 2 weeks ago. Took them 3 days. Talked to the crew and what they are doing is awesomsauce. Seriously some next level stuff. All of the RF equipment is on the top of the tower now. Instead of 5 runs of 1 5/8" heliax, now there is 2 runs of fiber going up. The only thing at the base of the tower is data processing. The radio part of it is all on top now.

If this is a preview of what to expect later this month then Sprint will be winning in the 4G LTE coverage race. Hell AT&T just got 3G here last year!

dtreo

May 4, 2010
Visit site
Just a thought. Is this Sprint's last desperate attempt to cut their data load before we see the end of unlimited data plans on Sprint? Connection optimizer is a failure for the end user. When traveling and listening to iheart, It connects to ANY unsecured access point no matter how weak it is. You pass by someones house and the optmizer connects even though you were only in range for a few seconds. Had to turn it off.

I would think that this optimizer would tax the battery even more than without it since the processor would be doing more of these types of search and switch actions. Am I wrong? Seems easier to me to just hit my WiFi widget toggle when I know I am within a known WiFi range, such as arriving home or office or whatever.

brianonthehill

May 27, 2012
Visit site
It does! Remember when you first got your new EVO and Sprint had tips on saving battery life? They were turn off WiFi, BT, 4G etc. when not in use.

@fray: If the AT&T 3G rollout is any indication, AT&T 4G will be here when most in this town are old and gray. AT&T does rollouts based on.... "where's the money?" Sprint is apparently rolling out based on... "where's the users?"

Don't get me started on AT&T. Every college marketing textbook should start "Chapter 1 - AT&T" They've been selling ketchup to cows for years and they are GOOD at it! Legacy subs and iPhone users...without that they got NOTHING! If AT&T put 1/4 of their advertising money in their network.....! I'm just saying. When another carrier surpasses AT&T, they just crank up the commercials.

My aplogies for yanking the brake and steering this thread in the ditch!:)

Last edited:

Fraydog

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
The money is where the users are. I don't see Sprint's rollout being much different than AT&T's. Sprint's won't even be done until 2014 with any serious expansion foregone until 2013 so it's not like they're going on Verizon's pace.

dtreo

May 4, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone else noticed that this topic and a lot of others both appear on AC and on the Sprint Community Forums with the same name? Just seems to be too coincidental for some. Do people repost or is there a more direct connection?

??

Fraydog

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
I post on Android Central, HoFo, and S4GRU.

There's a lot of crossover in what I talk about, but I don't flat out repost anything. If I want people to see on what forum what I write on another I can post a link.

HawaiiD

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GM44