Is this thing $300 better than my S2?

Jimmy Bernstein

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
After a day of wearing the new watch, I'm copletely torn on whether to keep it or return it. I like the quality of the watch face, it's noticably speedier than S2, it's fixed some long-standing annoyances (e.g., you can adjust how long last app stays active on screen, compared to the incredibly annoying S2 which defaults back to home screen after a few seconds). You can swim, and it's cool to listen to voice memo's off the watch's speaker.
But, it's noticably thicker, I was hoping for a dedicated Bixby button like on the phone, and tracking things like vertical skied or miles ran (or even heart rate) doesn't really interest me that much (and I"m assuming won't be that accurate anyway). And for the price, there are other toys out there....
What are other people's calculus?

jeepentj

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
After first reading about the new watch, I was pretty skeptical but bought it anyway to try it out. In a sentence, I really like it and am going to keep it but doubt it's $300 better.

That's just my opinion. It sounds like you're leaning towards keeping you S2 as it works for you.

durandetto

Trusted Member
Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Just got mine today so I can't give you much advice, but it's definatly more responsive than my s3. Hoping the battery life will be much improved as well. The waterproof part is a big upgrade as well. Haven't worked out with it yet so I don't know how well it does there.

jlangner

Oct 9, 2016
Visit site
Really like mine. As far as dedicated Bixby button. Doesn't take much more effort to double click the Home Button.

11B1P

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
After a day of wearing the new watch, I'm copletely torn on whether to keep it or return it. I like the quality of the watch face, it's noticably speedier than S2, it's fixed some long-standing annoyances (e.g., you can adjust how long last app stays active on screen, compared to the incredibly annoying S2 which defaults back to home screen after a few seconds). You can swim, and it's cool to listen to voice memo's off the watch's speaker.
But, it's noticably thicker, I was hoping for a dedicated Bixby button like on the phone, and tracking things like vertical skied or miles ran (or even heart rate) doesn't really interest me that much (and I"m assuming won't be that accurate anyway). And for the price, there are other toys out there....
What are other people's calculus?

What do you need the watch to do for you? For me, my Gear S3 offers a balanced amount of smartphone features and fitness tracking.