Is updating to 2.0.1 even worth doing?

MtDewElite

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
After reading all of the comments regarding this update and the problems people were having, my question is.....is it even worth doing the update right now? Do the pros outway the cons? I'm getting my droid as an xmas present and am debating just keeping my phone the way it is? What do you think?

dagostin

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
this is not like upgrading windows XP to vista, it is a minor version push that only improves on performance. Sure some people have issues but critical ones are rare and this is always expected with software. Change is good embrace it.

Marine One#AC

Nov 19, 2009
Visit site
I'm not even sure if it's physically possible to not do it. My phone worked flawlessly prior to the update, with one exception. The voice quality of the person with whom I was on the phone had the muffled sound that others have noted here and on other forums. The update seems to have taken care of that problem. I can't say the phone is any faster or slower now than before the update, just that it still works flawlessly.

droooooid

Dec 4, 2009
Visit site
YES!

i think the phone is better and a lot smoother. not sure there are any cons from my experiences. haven't read OPP(roblems) though...

droidweasel

Nov 14, 2009
www.minnesotavikings.com
ya the update has some small fixes. no matter what u do with updates there are going to be pros and cons. its a good small update,its really no big deal. they could have waited till 2.1 in my opinion. but its the first step of many.

hookbill

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
I have seen many OS updates with the Storm. Comments in a forum follow a pattern. First nothing but praise for the new OS, followed by nothing but complaints and finally acceptance and comments anticipating the next OS. We are in phase 2 right now.
U
I agree with the other posters this update is great. I'm still in the first phase.:)

Kaus

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
You don't really have a choice, the device will remind you everytime you turn it on to update. The only con I have seen so far is the webbrowseing seems slower now as others have reported. I didn't notice it till today myself. Quite annoying once you do pickup on it.

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
You don't really have a choice, the device will remind you everytime you turn it on to update. The only con I have seen so far is the webbrowseing seems slower now as others have reported. I didn't notice it till today myself. Quite annoying once you do pickup on it.

There actually is a workaround if for whatever reason you don't want to receive updates. It requires you to root the device however.

Genetic_Bloom

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
If you're getting it for Christmas like you said, your phone is going to have it pre-installed anyway so you really don't have a choice whatsoever.

Kaus

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
There actually is a workaround if for whatever reason you don't want to receive updates. It requires you to root the device however.

My device is rooted, waiting on recovery roms before I go messing with any files in my droid. To many people bricking there phones on alldroid.

UncleMike

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
The OTA update takes 3 minutes, tops, and is effortless. Why not do it?

If it ain't broke, don't fix it? Better the devil you know than the one you don't?

I've never seen a software update without cons, and I've never been one to apply an update just because it exists. I was notified that my update was available Friday morning. I must have pressed Install Later about a dozen times throughout the day. I finally allowed it to install because I've been reading all the reports from others who have already installed, and I didn't see any show stoppers. But even then, I waited until after work to install it, knowing that if something went wrong, I could potentially be without a phone for a while.

R

Roy Aguilera

I have seen many OS updates with the Storm. Comments in a forum follow a pattern. First nothing but praise for the new OS, followed by nothing but complaints and finally acceptance and comments anticipating the next OS. We are in phase 2 right now.
U
I agree with the other posters this update is great. I'm still in the first phase.:)

So true. I see it also.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Flammiferous