Issues with Google messenger

Apr 12, 2016
Visit site
I am having some issues with Google messenger. When certain people that have Samsung phones send me a text message it does not come through. It says click to download and it never comes through. Does anybody else hehe this issue? Not sure how to fix it.

canawler

Dec 9, 2014
Visit site
I'm having that issue with my Nexus 6 right now. It's only MMS not SMS and it's only from Samsung phones. Unfortunately, two of my co-workers that participate in work related group messages have Galaxys. I assumed it must be a setting on Samsung's messaging app but now I'm wondering if it's got something to do with Nougat. The issue didn't start until I updated.

itinj6

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
I have the same issue. Don't think it's Nougat though. Was doing this on my Moto XP before Nougat. I know for sure one of the senders uses a Samsung. Don't know about the others though. Since it happened to two different phones on two different OS's, I went to ATT to see if it was a carrier problem. They said changing the SIM should fix the problem, but it hasn't. This only happens in group MMS.

Edit:. It's not only Google Messenger. Had the same problem with Hangouts.

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Same here... Issues with Samsung senders. Im thinking that the varying implementations for MMS and SMS by carrier is likely the issue. Things like advanced messaging features get in the way. At times it's almost frustrating enough to make me want to switch to an iPhone to get iMessage... But soon after I come back to my senses and just let the group figure out why I'm not engaging in the conversation lol.

Lilybell2

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
There have been many reported texting issues on the AT&T forums with Samsung phones that are using Advanced Messaging.

aggie

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
I experienced this issue in group texts with people with Samsung phones that had advanced messaging activated. Switched my messaging app to Textra and it appears to have solved the problem.

canawler

Dec 9, 2014
Visit site
Does turning off Advanced Messaging also fix the issue? Can it even be turned off? This is a setting in the stock Samsung messaging app? Or in system level settings?

Just asking all this as I will have to be the one to fix it next time I see my co-worker and can mess with his phone.
I would just switch to Textra but there are two other people I work with that have non-Samsung phones that are having this issue. If possible, it will be easier to turn Advanced Messaging off on one phone than to get the other guys to adopt a different txt app.

aggie

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Does turning off Advanced Messaging also fix the issue? Can it even be turned off? This is a setting in the stock Samsung messaging app? Or in system level settings?

Just asking all this as I will have to be the one to fix it next time I see my co-worker and can mess with his phone.
I would just switch to Textra but there are two other people I work with that have non-Samsung phones that are having this issue. If possible, it will be easier to turn Advanced Messaging off on one phone than to get the other guys to adopt a different txt app.

Yes, if the person sending from the Samsung has advanced messaging turned off you will be able to receive sms, mms, group texts perfectly fine. However, most of my friends and family use samsung devices and it's not realistic to expect all of them to disable advanced messaging so I went back to using Textra. Textra is really nice but I do prefer the messenger app from Google.

canawler

Dec 9, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the info. I sent the guy in question a message asking if Advanced Messaging was turned on, with instructions on where to find it, but he had no luck and didn't even realize that individual apps have their own settings.
Oh well. I should be able to play with his phone some time next week.

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Yes, if the person sending from the Samsung has advanced messaging turned off you will be able to receive sms, mms, group texts perfectly fine. However, most of my friends and family use samsung devices and it's not realistic to expect all of them to disable advanced messaging so I went back to using Textra. Textra is really nice but I do prefer the messenger app from Google.

Are there any special MMS settings that you use for Textra? What carrier are you on?

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Ah. I have always had issues with my T-Mobile Note 4 with an AT&T SIM in it, even with Textra. I'll try it again and see how things go with the Pixel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThatDude