Issues with streaming video from phone to TV

born2dig

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Since Roku and HBO haven't yet agreed on a Roku app for HBO Max, I want to stream HBO content from my LG Velvet (Android 10, 5G phone). I've tried two methods:
1. The phone has a "screen sharing" function. When I first used it to connect to my Roku (both devices being on the same WiFi network) I was able to make the connection, but when I tried to run HBO Max content the phone froze up and required a shut-down-and-reboot. Since then, whenever I try to connect, the devices detect each other, but the progress bar stops about one-third of the way through and they never make a full connection. I concluded the phone must be low on RAM, or my WiFi speeds must be too slow, or something.
2. I purchased a USB-C to HDMI cord (brand name "J5 Create"). After connecting the devices by this method, I see on the TV screen what seems to be one of the default wallpaper screens that come preinstalled on the phone (which is not the wallpaper I now have set up). I can't get the TV to display anything else, but when I play an .mp4 file on the phone I hear it through the TV speaker. I have searched the Play store for apps that will help with this connection, but all I found were "checkers." Running the "checker" gives me a response that I should be able to make this connection using my phone!
Do I need a "slimport" adapter? Are there any other possible solutions? Many thanks for any suggestions!

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Try AllCast in the play store.... I'm running an older version, but it works perfectly for casting to a Roku. Don't need an app on the tv, just your phone and it's one button push and play. I tried quite a few and it's by far the best. I am running an older version though, hopefully they haven't screwed it up with any "downdates" :( That's why I haven't updated mine, it's working beautifully :D

born2dig

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Thank you J Dubbs. I downloaded AllCast and it makes the connection, but unless I'm missing something it doesn't show a way to stream video from apps like Netflix, HBO Max and Amazon Prime. I was able to view content residing on my phone (photos from my Gallery), but the streaming doesn't seem to be there. Either my phone is incapable of simultaneously receiving a feed and casting it to the Roku, or I need to reset my home WiFi to a faster speed (AT&T told me that when I reset the pwd on the modem it automatically downgraded my fiber op, for some reason). Thanks again...

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I'll try and take a look at my AllCast version and see if I can help you. My version is probably well over a year old if not more.... I hope they didn't change it up on you too much :eek: