I've got a two year old Note 5, wanted the Note 9, but now???

mcoomer

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
I've been holding out, hoping the Note 9 would blow me away with new features and be worth the upgrade cost. Bigger display...check. Bigger battery...check. More storage...check. Better camera...check (probably). S pen tricks...check. Bigger price....holy crap!

I mean it checks a lot of boxes for an upgrade, but it feels like they're all incremental upgrades, instead of Samsung coming out swinging against Apple's offerings. If I already had a Note 8 I'd not even consider it, but with the 5 I can just about justify it. Still, I wish they had really done something to make me say "WOW!". Just not seeing it.

Am I missing something?

Mike

Scott Currence

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
I'm in the same boat. I have replaced my battery once and now. Need to do it again (I am a power user). And am going to order it from Samsung unlocked and they will give a $150 trade in. So I am going in for the note 9. But if my phone wasn't working completely out I would keep it unless I had a reason. It is still a very capable device.

sooby77

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
In the same boat too. Google Maps is becoming really painful to use when plugged in. It's clear that the phone is throttling the processor when charging. Debating between unlocked and ATT version because I think that ATT version may have optimized radio firmware for their network. Also read that unlocked versions don't get updated as quickly. Decisions...

mcoomer

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
Been thinking about it and I've decided that a Note 8 is in my future. Should be able to grab a great deal soon, and hopefully Samsung will give us a real upgrade with the Note 10.

kct1975

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
I have a Samsung Note 5 myself, and I am having similar problems with Google Maps. In the car, with my Note 5 plugged in, and Google Maps running I frequently the phone can't find a GPS lock, or the phone causes Google Maps to think that I am somewhere completely different than where I am.

Once, while driving in Washington DC, I was headed to a friend's house in Virginia, and at one point all of the sudden, Google Maps thinks that I am in New York city, then it completly zooms out and thinks that I am in North Carolina.

I am also having Sleep of Death issues where the screen will Time out to black then later when I press the power button the phone won't Wake up. The only way for me to recover the phone is to do a forced reboot.

So, like everyone else in this thread, I strongly considering an upgrade to the Note 9.

My only question is whether I should get the Note 9, Galaxy 9, Pixel 3,some other phone, or try to hold on for another year.

Please let me know your thoughts and suggestions

JannyMaha

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
I am also having Sleep of Death issues where the screen will Time out to black then later when I press the power button the phone won't Wake up

Same here. But, if I press the Home button and wait a bit (sometimes upwards of 15 secs, though that's rare), the screen comes back. I'm still quite content with my Note 5, sans the battery life. Replaced battery about 2 yrs ago with a generic battery from Battery Plus, so thinking about doing the same when this one starts acting up. May decide to upgrade when the price drops substantially or at the very least, when it doesn't feel like I'm buying a personal computer with all the bells and whistles.

I_didnt_do_it

Apr 26, 2017
Visit site
I've been holding out, hoping the Note 9 would blow me away with new features and be worth the upgrade cost. Bigger display...check. Bigger battery...check. More storage...check. Better camera...check (probably). S pen tricks...check. Bigger price....holy crap!

I mean it checks a lot of boxes for an upgrade, but it feels like they're all incremental upgrades, instead of Samsung coming out swinging against Apple's offerings. If I already had a Note 8 I'd not even consider it, but with the 5 I can just about justify it. Still, I wish they had really done something to make me say "WOW!". Just not seeing it.

Am I missing something?

Mike

It is a pretty dang awesome phone, and certainly offers pretty much anything anyone could want from a mobile device, however, that near 1k asking price is dang near brutal. That is A LOT of money to consider. My S7 busted last week, but I have no desire to fork out that kind of cash for a new phone, so I went and got me a re-furbished note 5, and I am quite happy about that. Note 5 is still quite a capable and potent device, and for $206, I think I did real well.

socal

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Bought a used pixel xl last year and was planning to upgrade to Note9 but I think I'm going to switch back to my Note 5 until I see a really good deal on the 9.

Mithan Kitara

Mar 1, 2014
Visit site
I've had my Note 5 for 3 years (International version) and I still love it. The only problem I have is that the microphones are not working peak anymore and the battery needs to be replaced. I am actually checking into a quote to see about getting the microphones and battery replaced, to try and save the phone until S10+ or Note 10 come out but I might bite the bullet on Black Friday to get the Note 9.

Either way, the Note 9 is NOT a huge upgrade. Functionality wise, it is just a bit better. There is no real new features that matter on it from what I have seen.

socal

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
I've had my Note 5 for 3 years (International version) and I still love it. The only problem I have is that the microphones are not working peak anymore and the battery needs to be replaced. I am actually checking into a quote to see about getting the microphones and battery replaced, to try and save the phone until S10+ or Note 10 come out but I might bite the bullet on Black Friday to get the Note 9.

Either way, the Note 9 is NOT a huge upgrade. Functionality wise, it is just a bit better. There is no real new features that matter on it from what I have seen.

I consider expandable memory, bigger battery, IP rating and more RAM as a big upgrade to my Note5.

cckgz4

Oct 30, 2010
Visit site
Price has dropped significantly for the Note 9. It's still on the expensive side but you can get like new or new Notes for under 800

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlantisx