Juice Defender vs. Tasker/AutomateIt

D1andOnlyOmen

May 20, 2011
Visit site
Picked up a Bionic as my first Android phone on Thursday. Liking it fairly well so far even though I've had a few spotty issues so far.

I've read in the past that Juice Defender (especially the Ultimate version) is really good for saving some battery life and giving you a fair amount of control on your data connectivity and things like that. I downloaded the free version today just to see a little more hands on what its like and how it works, but from what I can tell, what it does sounds pretty similar to the kinds of things that you can using a tool like Tasker or AutomateIt, by setting up actions to control your 3G/4G data, turning on WiFi when available, turning on Bluetooth, etc.... Anyone have any experience/preference in using JD vs. Tasker/etc..., one better than the other, use both (though I'm not sure both would be necessary) or don't use anything like this?!?

anon(392870)

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
No it's a legitimate question. I'm trying to wade through the battery thread (which might have some helpful info in there).

I started playing around with JD last night and have had it on and it seems to be doing an okay job, but I was having some issues I couldn't get around and didn't like: My phone wasn't vibrating when getting a text message. I'm assuming this was due to a radio being off, but no matter what I did I couldn't seem to get it to do this. That was basically a deal-breaker for me. I want to know when I get a text.

D1andOnlyOmen

May 20, 2011
Visit site
I've had a heck of a time trying to figure out getting all of the various notifications settings figured out (sounds, vibrations, volumes....texts, calls, app notifications....the works!! LOL). I'm sure for a seasoned individual it's probably just 2nd nature on where all of this is at, but it seems like there are multiple places things can be set and be different....just taking some getting used to the new OS for me I'm sure.

I was reading a review (here on AC I believe) about the Tasker app and it sounded pretty slick to be able to set up all kinds of different automated things to happen based on various triggers. I was thinking of using that for turning on WiFi automatically based on location for when I get to spots where I know there is trusted WiFi (like my home, my fiancee's place, relatives....) places I go to with some frequency and just want to set it up that one time and mostly just use those....but without having to remember to go in each time I get there and turn my WiFi back on. I know JD has something similar based on location (least it sounds like it if you pay for it), but it also seems like it would still turn on and check for available WiFi occasionally. I'd just as soon not have it automatically checking periodically and let me just turn it on if I get to a new place and know I can trust it and either add it as a location to turn on when I get there, or just use it as a one time (traveling is what I'm thinking here...) Plus I was thinking of trying to set up something like Tasker for turning on my BT connection when I get into my car without using the dock (somehow if it's possible maybe) and also for changing my sound profile settings based on being home/work/out/etc... plus other uses I'm sure I could come up with....
Just wasn't sure if there would be some over lap with using multiple apps with these similar features, and since to get those abilities with JD at least you have to pay for Ultimate, plus Tasker in general is around the same price too ($7), just didn't want to be "wasting" money duplicating capabilities and on apps I may not really use.

anon(392870)

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
I've had a heck of a time trying to figure out getting all of the various notifications settings figured out (sounds, vibrations, volumes....texts, calls, app notifications....the works!! LOL). I'm sure for a seasoned individual it's probably just 2nd nature on where all of this is at, but it seems like there are multiple places things can be set and be different....just taking some getting used to the new OS for me I'm sure.

I was reading a review (here on AC I believe) about the Tasker app and it sounded pretty slick to be able to set up all kinds of different automated things to happen based on various triggers. I was thinking of using that for turning on WiFi automatically based on location for when I get to spots where I know there is trusted WiFi (like my home, my fiancee's place, relatives....) places I go to with some frequency and just want to set it up that one time and mostly just use those....but without having to remember to go in each time I get there and turn my WiFi back on. I know JD has something similar based on location (least it sounds like it if you pay for it), but it also seems like it would still turn on and check for available WiFi occasionally. I'd just as soon not have it automatically checking periodically and let me just turn it on if I get to a new place and know I can trust it and either add it as a location to turn on when I get there, or just use it as a one time (traveling is what I'm thinking here...) Plus I was thinking of trying to set up something like Tasker for turning on my BT connection when I get into my car without using the dock (somehow if it's possible maybe) and also for changing my sound profile settings based on being home/work/out/etc... plus other uses I'm sure I could come up with....
Just wasn't sure if there would be some over lap with using multiple apps with these similar features, and since to get those abilities with JD at least you have to pay for Ultimate, plus Tasker in general is around the same price too ($7), just didn't want to be "wasting" money duplicating capabilities and on apps I may not really use.

I would love the idea of something automatically flipping on Wifi and off 4G in a few key places (home & work essentially for me) - seems like that would preserve the battery life a lot.

I'm debating on investing $25 on the extended battery (currently at that price (50% off) on VZW website w/ free 2 day shipping). I do like the thickness of the phone, though the extended doesn't seem like it would be too much thicker.

3rdpig

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
Take a look at Green Power. I've tried all of them and to be honest, if all you want to do is extend your battery life it's seemed the best for me. There's no programming it or reading through lengthy help files, just install and go. And the full version is only a couple of bucks.