Jump from Galaxy Nexus to Razr Maxx

menelfloss

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
As much as I love my Galaxy Nexus (mostly because of ICS) I cannot use it as a phone. I waited six months for ICS 4.0.4 to fix the problem of microphone cut out and it did not fix the problem.

The reception on the Gnex is also mediocre compared to my experience with Motorola radios.

So, I am thinking of jumping to the Razr Maxx.
Is the Android OS currently running on Razr Maxx a Google Android OS?
Would be cool if it is because when I change phones Google can re-populate my new phone with all the apps currently on my Nexus.

Any advice about this switch I am about to make?
Thanks in advance for your reply.

Dukins

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Again folks stop thinking about it, do it. It will keep you from pulling your hair out. I only held off waiting for the Maxx HD. Its going to be a new phone always on the horizon, so I took the plunge. I could not deal with the signal of the Nexus any longer. Do it Do it Do it lol.:D

menelfloss

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure what your asking but the only one that will combine a nicer screen with the Maxx's battery will be the Maxx HD. I have read that the GSIII is getting good battery life out of it's 2200mAh battery though. So maybe that's your in between.

I am a bit leery of Samsung radios being weak. Besides the obvious telephony issues, the Gnex was bad at bringing in signal. My Gnex generally performed worse than other peoples phones in a variety of environments. My past experience with Motorola phones is that they have good radios.

menelfloss

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Went to look at a Razr Maxx at the Verizon store today, I must say it does feel a bit light and physically under engineered. That having been said, the display looked pretty good to me considering that I have heard the Razr display is not as good as the Galaxy Nexus's.
I'm going to call CS and see what I can do to exchange my Gnex for the Rzrmx tomorrow.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Went to look at a Razr Maxx at the Verizon store today, I must say it does feel a bit light and physically under engineered. That having been said, the display looked pretty good to me considering that I have heard the Razr display is not as good as the Galaxy Nexus's.
I'm going to call CS and see what I can do to exchange my Gnex for the Rzrmx tomorrow.

I actually think the Maxx is very solidly built. There's considerably more metal in the shell than in a lot of Samsung and HTC phones, and the Kevlar back might help protect you from getting shot if you have it in your breast pocket (I'm making that up--I'm not willing to test it out). I don't think you'll be disappointed if you get it!

yellowcanary73

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
I went from the G/N to the Maxx and must say I'm loving the Maxx the battery life is amazing the build is great(I had the DROIDX and probably dropped it 10 time with just the Verizon silicone never a scratch) the screen is fine for me a little thin for my hands but will be getting the defender. Could not go back to a Samsung again with the poor build,poor battery life having to charge 3 times a day,rebooting,a lot of static during calls.

rexbitz

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site
Yesterday I made the switch from galaxy nexus to razr maxx. I must say that I am so happy. Samsung has def. lost me as a costumer. Even after the 4.0.4 update to ICS the galaxy nexus was horrible. The reception issue is the worst I have seen compared to every phone I owned. The phone rebooted after I made a phone call, surfing, you name it. The speaker on it is weak. I can barely hear anyone during a phone call. The only thing the galaxy nexus had was a nice screen. I was upset at first because I had to pay a 75 dollar restocking fee. Well worth it for the razr, very reliable phone. The razr maxx literally relieved my stress that I had with the galaxy nexus. I dont have to charge my phone 3 times a day.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

Dukins

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site

The screen is not as bad as most reviewers are making it out to be. The blacks are black, the colors are a little oversaturated but not bad by any means. It did take a little time for my eyes to adjust but everything is all good now. I prefer function over form.

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
The screen is not as bad as most reviewers are making it out to be. The blacks are black, the colors are a little oversaturated but not bad by any means. It did take a little time for my eyes to adjust but everything is all good now. I prefer function over form.

Exactly. I mentioned in another forum that I liked the screen on the Maxx and people couldn't believe it. I live the screen on the Maxx, even over my Nexus. For one, I can have the brightness turned up on the Maxx ant not have to worry about killing the battery. And like you said, the blacks are black, and to me I like the color. It's not "cartoonish" as some have put it.

It's a solid, reliable, good looking phone that preforms right up there with the rest of them. And it will have ICS soon.

metz65

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
I am a bit leery of Samsung radios being weak. Besides the obvious telephony issues, the Gnex was bad at bringing in signal. My Gnex generally performed worse than other peoples phones in a variety of environments. My past experience with Motorola phones is that they have good radios.

I was in the same boat as you, and had to ditch my Nexus for a Maxx for the same reason, poor signal.

I won't lie, I do miss my Nexus and several things it had that I chose it for to begin with.

That being said, the Maxx is also a dam good phone. Once it receives the ICS update it will Imo be even better than it is now. Bottom line for me was I had to have a phone that works as a phone, and in my area that wasn't the Nexus.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

rodeezie

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
I was so stoked to get the nexus! Beautiful phone, externally. Had it for 24 hours, TWO short phone convos, a round of Wordfeud, and maybe 11 text messages and had to charge it THREE times. I returned it immediately, got the RAZRMAXX and all is well.

Sent from my DROID RAZRMAXX using Android Central Forums

menelfloss

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
So hey,
After making 3 calls to Verizon CS, and having been handed off to Samsung which wanted me to send my phone to Texas and they would diagnose it, while I wait for it to return, I finally got a supervisor that at best could offer me a razr. When I got the phone Dec 15, there was no Maxx so they are unable to exchange me a phone that did not exist when I bought mine. (believe me I went around with that one for awhile)
So please somebody tell me,... How is the battery on the razr? (I am used to about 14 hours with the nexus now):-\
Anyone have experience with battery life on the razr?
From what I gather the razr vs maxx is simply twice the battery.
Thanks in advance

aquaj13

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
I was excited about my Gnex. Waited two weeks for it while rocking my old tour. Signal sucked. I got zero bars at home. I finally got lucky and got one bar. I just ordered my Maxx on eBay.