June Security update now available

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Just checked for, and received, the June security update. (N2G47W - this device is used on Verizon in case that makes a difference.)
59c5a8bbdb817df3a73f32efd54f9110.jpg

Last edited:

Forest Dane

Feb 5, 2015
Visit site
Fixed the snooze to home issue on emails too that apparently I had and didn't know. When it restarted 9 and snoozed emails came through

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Yup. It didn't pop as available when I tapped on the check button, but as soon as I was out of settings I had a notification that the update was available. I haven't installed it yet.

PGrey

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
Yeah, plus if you're on the Beta, the code-base is quite a bit different, so the patches aren't really an apples-apples comparison.
Some things may have already been fixed in the O drop that came out, it's pretty common for a bunch of latent fixes to get rolled out in builds like this, or at least it is in the Windows world, given that you expect the "Beta crowd" to be more accepting of larger payloads.

The update hosed my text and Outlook widgets, or at least made them "not so usable", somehow it's set all their fonts to much larger, and all bold. I also have a "notifier" widget, handy for seeing things like missed calls and texts, which now has a huge font, so clearly I need to go fiddle with these, and get things back to normal; hopefully they weren't using an undocumented interface that got changed or something...
It's stuff that would take me about 10 seconds on my Win Phones, but I'm clearly not a real Android convert yet, I have to go "muddle around" and figure this stuff out, again ;-]

Derek_B

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
it's strange, I just got the new beta release yesterday but the security patch level is still May, I assumed it would be bumped up to June. oh well, I'll be back on nice monthly security updates after O is officially released.

PGrey

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
Sure, but the "O" May patch level may be equivalent to the June "N" patches, it's hard to say (without explicitly comparing the tech of each fix).
It's pretty common (at least when I worked on releasing Beta and similar builds for years), for more aggressive fixing of security and other "latent" issues in targeted-user-releases (such as the Beta).

I'm not saying I compared these, just that I probably wouldn't fret over the (lack of) exactly matching security patches really meaning anything, without deeper analysis.
Again, my experience is not Android, but I sort of suspect that the teams are still following similar approaches, since it makes the stabilizing periods much simpler, if those fixes were rolled in earlier, and have subsequent/extensive testing already.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
it's strange, I just got the new beta release yesterday but the security patch level is still May, I assumed it would be bumped up to June.

The beta track is a whole different beast. The build we get is a slightly older one that Google blessed and released... There are so many other changes that they have to test before sending it out that it would be time-prohibitive to do so. They are following a roadmap, which called for an early June refresh of the beta. Had they decided to incorporate June Sec, we wouldn't have received the build until much later in June.

There is a final beta build expected in July, and my guess it that will have June's security changes, not July's. It's just part of it being a beta.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rambo4id