Just bought a Tab S9 to go along with my s23 ultra.

jc0187

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
Hi! About three or four days ago I purchased a base model Tab S9. I was using an older iPad but it has ghost touch so I no longer can use it. I went back and forth between buying another iPad or going with a samsung tablet. I decided on the Tab S9 as I wanted to be able to text on it, and basically treat it as an extension of my s23.

Unfortunately text messaging syncs very poorly and is borderline useless. Text messages appear in the notification tray, but I cannot actually access them until the syncing finishes, which could take several minutes. Another weird thing started happening, was that my newly received text messages started unsyncing from my s23. I'll open the text app, see the new text, and then poof! It vanishes for several minutes. I am guessing it is because of a syncing issue between both the devices and maybe Samsung?

I have made sure both devices are paired, signed into Samsung and are using Samsung texting services. I really don't know what to do at this point and am considering just returning it and maybe picking up another iPad. I really wanted this to work, but it seems unlikely it will and if I keep my tab S9, I guess I'll just have to accept that it is janky.

If anyone has any suggestions or tips on how to get these devices to work as an actual ecosystem, please don't hesitate to offer whatever help you can.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
While I love my Tab S9, if you're used to an iPad, I would stick to the iPad. You can STILL text from it! And the sync solution to your problem is probably gonna be the same if you stick to the Tab S9: Use Google Messages. You can text on web, different devices, etc. (Never used the Samsung Messages app so never had issues with that 'syncing'; I use Google Messages and it still syncs perfectly with the Tab S9).

jc0187

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
While I love my Tab S9, if you're used to an iPad, I would stick to the iPad. You can STILL text from it! And the sync solution to your problem is probably gonna be the same if you stick to the Tab S9: Use Google Messages. You can text on web, different devices, etc. (Never used the Samsung Messages app so never had issues with that 'syncing'; I use Google Messages and it still syncs perfectly with the Tab S9).
Wait, I can actually text from my iPad? I'll have to look into this.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Yup! I don't think there's an actual iOS app for Messages (because of course Apple wouldn't allow that :p), but you can always use Google Messages on a web browser or use an aggregator messaging app like Beeper if you want the 'app' experience.

Reactions: jc0187

jc0187

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
Yup! I don't think there's an actual iOS app for Messages (because of course Apple wouldn't allow that :p), but you can always use Google Messages on a web browser or use an aggregator messaging app like Beeper if you want the 'app' experience.
Good to know. Hey if I use Beeper, will the text message recipient also need to have Beeper?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Nope. Beeper natively connects to the different messaging apps it supports, so you're still using those app's servers for communication. On your end, however, you're just routing those messages onto another app (but the same messages remain on each service's native apps as well).

Reactions: jc0187

jc0187

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
My S21Ultra syncs to my TabS9 flawlessly/ quickly. Hard reset the tab?
Really? Like, when you open your tab, all your text messages are current and there? When I open up mine, they briefly appear but then disappear for a short time before finally reappearing.

After giving it some thought, I decided that I'll return the tab S9 and pick up another iPad pro.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I do agree that it's a weird 'bug' (again, never used Samsung Messages so can't speak for that), but like Tony mentions, I also don't see any issues with texting and syncing on my tablet (using Google Messages, mind you).

That aside, if you are also sticking to a Galaxy phone and if you have Windows computers, your experience with a Galaxy Tablet may be easier to manage than trying to get the iPad to work with all of them. If texting is the only issue, then you can definitely give either the web experience or the Beeper app a go on iOS.

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Really? Like, when you open your tab, all your text messages are current and there? When I open up mine, they briefly appear but then disappear for a short time before finally reappearing.

After giving it some thought, I decided that I'll return the tab S9 and pick up another iPad pro.
Yep. No issues. I was away from my tab, which was in standby mode and once I returned, messages were synced. I should clarify, that I am using Google Messages, not Samsung's.

Reactions: Laura Knotek

jc0187

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
I do agree that it's a weird 'bug' (again, never used Samsung Messages so can't speak for that), but like Tony mentions, I also don't see any issues with texting and syncing on my tablet (using Google Messages, mind you).

That aside, if you are also sticking to a Galaxy phone and if you have Windows computers, your experience with a Galaxy Tablet may be easier to manage than trying to get the iPad to work with all of them. If texting is the only issue, then you can definitely give either the web experience or the Beeper app a go on iOS.
I'm going to , 100%, try out beeper. I am intrigued by it. Do you know anything about beeper?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
They do what Blackberry did for e-mails back in the day: Unified inbox. So the idea is pretty good (all your messaging in a single app), so I tried it when they brought iMessages to Android before they got greedy/cocky and decided to pick a fight with Apple (the creator showed his colors during this and he did come off as a bleephole). Alas, after that, I stopped using it.

They were good, not a super fan of their interface but that's more because they use native APIs versus web versions of the 'full' apps (like Rambox, an app I absolutely cannot live without now on PC does). After they (obviously) lost their fight with Apple, they became more focused on messaging on the services they are allowed to connect to, so I assume they're still pretty good.

I'd give them a try again if they supported MS Teams.

lateck2

Sep 11, 2016
Visit site
My Tab S9+ syncs seamlessly with my S24U phone using Samsung messaging. I also have no issues with Google messages. Same story when I had my Tab S8+ and S23U.

Reactions: mustang7757

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mads788