Just bought my a100

jcaruso0725

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
So I just bought this little booger and got my ICS update immediately :) any suggestions about what else I should do to it? I returned my Motorola triumph and got this instead. I think I'll be much happier.

Sent from my A100 using Tapatalk 2

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Congratulations! It's a nice little device, isn't it? Here are a few suggestions:

1. Don't bother with the Acer Content Folders (the goofy Folders for Games, Multimedia, and eReading). They're glitchy, and the number of apps you can put in them is limited. Since ICS allows you to create folders on the homescreen now, there's no need for the Content Folders anyway.

2. The A100 is notorious for poor battery life (although if you look at it another way, it's just like most other smartphones that have to be charged up at the end of the day). One minor way to avoid unnecessary battery drain is to avoid live wallpapers, and only use static ones.

3. The touch sensitive home button is unfortunately unnecessary and also very easy to touch accidentally (thus unceremoniously exiting you out from a movie or game, for example). Consider covering it, like with a piece of black duct tape.

4. Make sure you go to Google Play Store and check My Apps to see if anything needs to be updated after the ICS update.

5. Enjoy!

jcaruso0725

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Cool, all stuff I did. I've been rooting/rom-ing my phones since day one I have had an android, but honestly this device really doesn't seem to need it. ICS is smooth and I stream everything so space isn't a biggie. I'm impressed for $207 out the door. I'm done buying phones especially with virgin mobiles new Wimax hotspots coming out. The two paired would be awesome. Voip is the future now lolz. Thanks for the input. Btw I enjoy this size. Not too big my arm hurts. Not too small my eyes hurt.

Forgewizard

May 20, 2012
Visit site
Ditto most of the above! Picked mine up yesterday and am enjoying the discovery so far! Lots of nice things so far. Just a few making me scratch my head. But browsing the forums may offer answers.

Not sure if I can deal with no "One Note". Still haven't ventured very far into apps yet. Haven't used the imaging yet either. But on board browser works well, have some familiar gestures too which is nice.

Time will tell I guess. Going to check out keyboard apps because in landscape this is a tad of a stretch, while in portrait it feels cramped.so far so good.

jcaruso0725

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
You just can't beat $198 plus tax for a decent tablet with official ICS. The sound output is pretty good too, turn it off auto mode in the Dolby setting and its pretty awesome through some crud skull candies.

Forgewizard

May 20, 2012
Visit site
Hooked the A100 to some external speakers at work and played some tunes. Great sound!
Tested the camcorder indoors and happy with results. Paid for docs to go full key and can edit docs I couldn't on my WP 7 phone! HAH! :) ordered a female micro USB to male USB adapter to see if I can utilize the micro USB port for USB peripherals. Great deal at amazon paired the adapter with a sandisk hc 32 GB micro card for 17 bucks! I just paid 26 for a 16 GB card at best buy when I got the A100 !

A file manage app let's me manage the files better. And someone mentioned that Acer is getting ready to send an SD card manager update? Cool.

Yep am smiling!

jcaruso0725

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
flawless Netflix streaming on a 32" TV.

627f8ba6-001e-591b.jpg

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2

sutekh137

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Hooked the A100 to some external speakers at work and played some tunes. Great sound!
Tested the camcorder indoors and happy with results. Paid for docs to go full key and can edit docs I couldn't on my WP 7 phone! HAH! :) ordered a female micro USB to male USB adapter to see if I can utilize the micro USB port for USB peripherals. Great deal at amazon paired the adapter with a sandisk hc 32 GB micro card for 17 bucks! I just paid 26 for a 16 GB card at best buy when I got the A100 !

A file manage app let's me manage the files better. And someone mentioned that Acer is getting ready to send an SD card manager update? Cool.

Yep am smiling!

Note: USB hosting will _not_ work on the A100. You can't hook up a USB hard drive or thumb drive, for example, and read the files (if it DOES work for you, please post -- it has not worked for anyone else AFAIK). The A100's big brother A500 DOES support USB hosting, but the A100 does not (at least not currently, and potentially not ever due to basic hardware limitations).

But yeah, micro SD cards are getting cheap! I got one with an adapter, too, but I think I paid $29. You got a great deal by the sounds of it! *smile*

With those external cards being so cheap, it will be nice to see what Acer comes up with in terms of making that space more usable from a system/app standpoint.

Thanks,
sutekh137

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GM44