Just got an HTC one and need some advice

jdhooghe

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
First of all, beautiful phone. I swore I would never buy an HTC phone again but well, couldn't resist. However, I am concerned with battery life. I know there is an issue with Google Location Services but even with that, I get the following:

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=2CCF32E3673E856F!2240&authkey=!ABEqJLdXzGku8qk&v=3

on the 16th. On the 18th:

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=2CCF32E3673E856F!2239&authkey=!AHq1VgavPXZ0Umo&v=3

Any activity at all seems to drain the battery quickly and furthermore, I am not getting great idle times at all. Should I exchange? Also, the phone is consistently between 35 C and 40 C without any gaming. Thank you.

Teddy Jenkins

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
That certainly doesn't seem good to me.

35? - 40? definitely can't be good.

I'm not sure how that is happening but may be best to wait for an HTC user to answer this.

my shiney new S4

anon(7894520)

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
unless i am reading those graphs completely wrong, you are getting more than 12hrs of battery usage with LTE and surely you have all the bells and whistles turned on in the background.

so what are you complaining about again?

if the htc one battery lifespan isn't enough for you by all means you should exchange it for another phone. a flip phone perhaps that can last 3 days.

if, on the other hand, you can go through the whole day on battery power i suggest you just enjoy the phone instead of analysing graphs and temperature data. 40C wont burn your hand i can assure you; and if its constantly warm its because the processor is well, processing information. so its not "idle" as you claim it is. try investigating how you use your phone first. and aluminum is not plastic - it will radiate heat that comes from within much more.

jdhooghe

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
I would appreciate if we could keep the condescension to a minimum. My iPhone and Z10 both had about one percent idle drain and while I will enjoy the phone, I do require it to communicate. If the android operating system cannot keep less than 5 percent drain then yes, maybe this phone isn't for me

Posted via Android Central App

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
I would appreciate if we could keep the condescension to a minimum. My iPhone and Z10 both had about one percent idle drain and while I will enjoy the phone, I do require it to communicate. If the android operating system cannot keep less than 5 percent drain then yes, maybe this phone isn't for me

I have set most everything to manually sync, not auto sync, such as Google, dropbox,, sydrive, etc but I do have wifi, BT, and GPS on. My idle drain is 3-5% an hour and has been like that since day one. The only thing you can do is find what you don't need, want, nor use and disable them then find out what apps to sync are the most important. Just keep an eye on your battery usage and adjust accordingly. Remember, Android phones have a TON more things going on in the background than BB and iOS ever thought of doing.

Keep us/me posted.

usguyver

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
I have set most everything to manually sync, not auto sync, such as Google, dropbox,, sydrive, etc but I do have wifi, BT, and GPS on. My idle drain is 3-5% an hour and has been like that since day one. The only thing you can do is find what you don't need, want, nor use and disable them then find out what apps to sync are the most important. Just keep an eye on your battery usage and adjust accordingly. Remember, Android phones have a TON more things going on in the background than BB and iOS ever thought of doing.

Keep us/me posted.

I have a the HTC 1 and my battery percentage is 1 to 2 percent drain when idle.

anon(7894520)

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site

it was not my intention to sound condescending.. i appoligise if that is how it was interpreted.

but you need to answer your own question, because no one here has the first clue of how you use your phone, or what you expect from it.

your post just sounded like: "ugh at the end of the day i have only (put % number here) remaining"; or "this phone drains the battery faster than what i expected".

the question you need to ask yourself is: "can i live with it"?

to compare the htc one to an iphone is completely unfair. everyone knows apple doesnt put as many bells and whistles and keep their screen size small in their phone and what not because they want to be praised for their battery span.

i would also assume that you are quite knowledgeable about phones and gadgets given your post count in this forum and your previous devices. the htc one is my first android device coming from years of iphones and i signed up to this site two weeks ago. heck, even *i* knew battery life wasnt the strongest suit of the htc one. i've seen and read a review or two before purchasing one. havent you?

again, i dont want to sound condescending but i just dont understand people who purchase a phone (or any gadget) without doing their homework and instead of enjoying it they spend their time going through graphs and other data to find out if its the phone for them after all... its like as if now you want to compare your htc one phone's speed benchmarks to the S4 and realise its not quite as fast according to tests and decide the phone is not for you...

Teddy Jenkins

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
it was not my intention to sound condescending.. i appoligise if that is how it was interpreted.

but you need to answer your own question, because no one here has the first clue of how you use your phone, or what you expect from it.

your post just sounded like: "ugh at the end of the day i have only (put % number here) remaining"; or "this phone drains the battery faster than what i expected".

the question you need to ask yourself is: "can i live with it"?

to compare the htc one to an iphone is completely unfair. everyone knows apple doesnt put as many bells and whistles and keep their screen size small in their phone and what not because they want to be praised for their battery span.

i would also assume that you are quite knowledgeable about phones and gadgets given your post count in this forum and your previous devices. the htc one is my first android device coming from years of iphones and i signed up to this site two weeks ago. heck, even *i* knew battery life wasnt the strongest suit of the htc one. i've seen and read a review or two before purchasing one. havent you?

again, i dont want to sound condescending but i just dont understand people who purchase a phone (or any gadget) without doing their homework and instead of enjoying it they spend their time going through graphs and other data to find out if its the phone for them after all... its like as if now you want to compare your htc one phone's speed benchmarks to the S4 and realise its not quite as fast according to tests and decide the phone is not for you...

My S4 lasts longer than my partners iPhone 5. She has to charge hers 1 maybe 2times a day.

My device idle percentage is 2%

my shiney new S4

walterkurtz

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
my HTC1 battery life was dreadful the first week i had it. but i suspect part of that was due to the inordinate amount of time i spent on it, making adjustments, downloading and configuring apps, etc.

also, i don't know if it helps. but i made sure to completely drain the battery before charging it for that first week. now i have no problem getting 12-14h out of my five-week old 1.

please note: i am not a gamer, nor do i watch tv/movies/video on my phone.

oh one more thing that seemed to help (me): contrary to popular belief, my battery seemed to improve when i manually set my screen brightness to 50% instead of auto brightness. also, i never tick the conserve power box. and i do not use any battery or power management apps.

every phone and user are different so it's really tough to compare people's battery results.

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
Google Now and location services will do a number on your battery. If you aren't synching then that's one of the few things that will run that often while idle. If you go into Maps>Settings >Google location settings and uncheck "Access location" you can prevent Google Now from checking your location. You'll have to turn it back on if you want Maps to use your location, but that's not that big of a deal unless you use it a lot. Other apps can still get your location, so you'll still have to make sure you don't have a weather widget checking your location every minute or something like that, but it's a great place to start.

hodan

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Does that second pic show like 6 hours ON SCREEN time? Lol. If that's right, then good luck finding another phone that can pull off 1080p for that length of time. I'm perfectly happy with my battery life. I generally can only kill the battery gaming.

Also, your screen shots don't show battery usage by app - so they're nearly useless.

Seriously, you need a new Moto phone - either the new Maxx or the X phone. Average screen, some gimmicks, but HUGE battery life.

jdhooghe

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
Thank you everyone. As it stands now, I have gotten some rogue apps under control, I think but every once in a while, some pop up under my device manager and I haven't even opened them. I guess that is the price you pay for being with Android. The biggest wakelock issue I have is NlpCollectorWakeLock and NetworkLocationLocator. From my research, these are quite the problem and they only goes away if you completely disable location services. How much of a battery "increase" did you find after your first week? Right now, it looks like I am sitting at 14 hours with a little under 4 hour screen time with Facebook, Instagram, Push Email and Texting. My main concern was that every phone make is different and each have their "norms." I am aware that iPhones do not have many features which is why I sold my 4S awhile ago. I got bored. Then I went to WP8(Big, BIG Mistake) and then a Z10, which I loved, but well...yeah. I have a Nexus 7 tablet but those have big batteries and so I couldn't accurately gauge what Jelly Bean should be on a phone. I love this phone. Seriously. It reminds me of the build quality of iPhones and the only thing lacking is the camera which is good a lot of the time but some times the colors look off and the sharpness isn't real good. I would go to the S4 but I abhor touchwhiz and the plastic

walterkurtz

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
and the only thing lacking is the camera which is good a lot of the time but some times the colors look off and the sharpness isn't real good. I would go to the S4 but I abhor touchwhiz and the plastic

have you tried PIXLR EXPRESS? it easily and handily improves all of my HTC1 pics.