Just got my first smartphone, got some questions

Ursidaeus

Dec 7, 2014
Visit site
Hey everyone, I just got my first smartphone and got some questions:

1. I've used an LG slide phone for the past five years and decided to upgrade with the Verizon Edge plan. My question is it possible to swipe sideways with two fingers to switch tabs? For example, you have Google Chrome running and you want to switch the tab to your E-Mail. Is there an option available to quickly switch tabs like the one I described? My family all have Apple products and I found the swipe mechanic to be familiar and useful to me.
  2. Is there Adblock. I checked the Play Store and there only seems to be a knockoff product from a different company. I use Google Chrome as my web browser.
  3. I browse Reddit a lot. Once I started using my phone for Reddit I noticed that the text size would increase as you scrolled downwards. Why does it do this and how do I keep the text size the same?
  4. If I encrypt my phone do I have to install a decryption program? I plan to move some data back and forth from my phone to computer. If I encrypt my phone do I have to install a decryption program in order to read the data? If so, how long will it take to decrypt information?
  5. How do I tell if I have a virus on my phone? What kind of free anti-virus should I get? I know the best protection is avoiding sketchy websites, but I like to have peace of mind with an extra defense.
  6. Is there keyboard customization? I don't really like how the keyboard takes up half the screen. Could I change the look and size of the keyboard?
  7. I use fingerprint as my code security. Can I get more than three or no?
  8. Why do phone carriers load up their phones with bloatware? How do I remove most of the bloatware without 'rooting'?
  9. Is there an application that checks what apps are taking up the most battery?
  10. What are some apps you recommend?

Last edited by a moderator:

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I can't answer all your questions, but:

is there Adblock. I checked the Play Store and there only seems to be a knockoff product from a different company. I use Google Chrome as my web browser.
An ad blocker for a browser is browser-specific. Look for Chrome add-ons for ad blocking for the Android version of Chrome. (Google is a great help in searching for things.)

If I encrypt my phone do I have to install a decryption program? I plan to move some data back and forth from my phone to computer. If I encrypt my phone do I have to install a decryption program in order to read the data? If so, how long will it take to decrypt information?
No, you have to export the data in whatever way that app exports data. I've never seen a Windows or Mac program to decrypt Android-encrypted data. (I could be wrong.)

How do I tell if I have a virus on my phone? What kind of free anti-virus should I get? I know the best protection is avoiding sketchy websites, but I like to have peace of mind with an extra defense.
The same companies you use on your PC. I use Avast on both (because I've been using them for years), but AVG, BitDefender, eSet and Kaspersky and, if you don't have a Samsung phone (in case anyone else is using this post as a reference) Lookout are all good.

Is there keyboard customization?
Yes. You can install any keyboard (or more than one) you want.

I don't really like how the keyboard takes up half the screen. Could I change the look and size of the keyboard?
I don't know of any that customizable, but there may be.

Why do phone carriers load up their phones with bloatware?
Money. Most of them use data.

How do I remove most of the bloatware without 'rooting'?
You don't with most of them - they're system apps, so you have to be rooted to remove them.

Is there an application that checks what apps are taking up the most battery?
Settings/General/Battery. Android System, Android OS and the screen will probably use most. (The percentage is of the total amount being used, not of the total amount in the battery, so adding up all the usages should come close to 100% all the time - all of the power being used is being used - that could be as little as 30% of the battery power.) In the beginning, Android will be using most, as it "settles in".

What are some apps you recommend?
That's like asking what tools we recommend. Tire spoons? A cutoff saw? A soldering iron? What do you do. If you're a network admin you're going to want completely different apps than a gamer or a student or an astronomer or a pilot or ... Most people would consider about half the apps I have on my phone a waste of space, but the only game I have on it is Solitaire. (And Facebook, so I don't have to keep going over to my wife's phone to see what she's talking about when someone posted something. No other social apps.) You'd probably be totally unhappy using my phone - and I'd probably be unhappy using yours. Where's the SQLite editor? GroceryIQ?

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Chrome mobile doesn't support add-ons. There is an adblock mobile, not in the play store. I tried it, but it didn't block ads on chrome for me. I didn't do any more with it, though someone on here might know more about it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18