Just made the switch to the Note 8 for Apple, need some helping setting up and a great messaging app

mach1man

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Ok so I made the switch from apple to the Note 8. Loving the phone but need a little help on setting it up.

1) I set up face unlock but it still ask to swipe for unlock, is there a away around this to where it will unlock once it sees me or what if I do the finger print scanner??

2) What setting does everyone have the display set to? 780p, 1080p or MAX??

3) What is a good alternative messaging app? I want something that will allow text over wifi and allow a bigger pictures to be sent. AT&T limits the size to 1.2mb I believe

4) How do I turn on bixby the button on the side is not working, unless I haven't turned it on lol.

5) Can I get OK Google to work for the AOD screen?

I think that may be it lol

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
Face unlock is the least secure.

If you setup finger print then just touch it even with it locked and screen off. Its instant.

Swipe up: just poor UI and choice of words. Just means Unlock by your chosen method.

At home the BT speakers are a Trusted device for unlocking.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
1) I set up face unlock but it still ask to swipe for unlock, is there a away around this to where it will unlock once it sees me or what if I do the finger print scanner??
Gayle got that one.

2) What setting does everyone have the display set to? 780p, 1080p or MAX??
That's really a personal choice, but most people set the display (on any phone) to max.

3) What is a good alternative messaging app? I want something that will allow text over wifi and allow a bigger pictures to be sent. AT&T limits the size to 1.2mb I believe
You can't text over wifi unless you and the other person are using the same app. Text attachments (if you're using SMS - which is technically the only "texting" there is) is limited to around 1MB. (The carriers don't want their servers loaded with GB of stuff waiting to be picked up.) iMessage is different - but Apple won't allow anyone else to use the protocol. If you need to send a larger attachment, use email (25MB limit) and if it's larger then that put it on your cloud account and text the person the URL to download it from.

4 and 5 I can't help you with. Someone else will have to chime in.

mach1man

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
I got the bixby button working, just had to set it up lol.

So I set up the finger print scanner and it still isn't unlocking straight to the home screen, I have to press and hold the home button then swipe up... Still a little confused on that one

And I thought there was an app for text over wifi or at least allowing bigger mms to go through.... that's a little bit of a bummer

z0ove

Oct 28, 2017
Visit site
#5 Yes you can, but is not secure, cus it can avoid your security. In my case, i prefer stay with Bixby to unlock my phone, cus this one ask me for a voice password to unlock the phone

I use Textra for sms and mms and i can go till 2mb also i use WhatsApp as everyday messenger app wich is compatible with both OS

leerandall

Nov 23, 2014
Visit site
Verizon's Message+ does not require Verizon be your carrier. And Message+ also works over wi-fi, and it will also work on wi-fi-only tablets as well.

From Verizon's web site:

The maximum file size for picture/video messages depends upon the device's network capability. See signal indicator on the phone to determine which signal is being received

-- Basic Devices that are only 1xRTT capable (indicated by "1x" indicator) can send/receive a maximum file size of 350 KB.
-- Basic Devices that are Rev 0 EVDO capable (indicated by "1X") can send/receive a maximum file size of 500 KB.
-- Rev A EVDO (indicated by "3G") and 4G LTE capable (indicated by "4G" or "LTE") devices can send/receive a maximum file size of 1,200 KB.
-- Devices using Verizon Messages (Messages+) can send files up to 100 MB.

mach1man

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
So far the phone has been awesome!! still messing around with different messaging apps and keyboards. I tried to use Bixby to identify what song was on the radio but it failed to understand my command, is that something it can't do?
Also does the battery life get better once its been charged a few times? First full day of using it yesterday and got like 4 hours of screen on time and it was down to 35% or so.... is that normal?

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
battery life imroves over time. the Bixby thing, I doubt it can, though I could be wrong. I don't want Sammy listening to what I say so I don't use it and have it blocked. I use very few of the Sammy apps and have a large portion blocked.

glad you're enjoying it. it's a wonderful device

Kayza

Oct 7, 2016
Visit site
Try WhatsApp. There are others as well, but this one seems to have the greatest penetration if you are in the US.

DARK Vader777

Feb 5, 2016
Visit site
When you send a message and a attachment, you can click on link sharing right after you've selected your picture or video and you will get the max file of up to 2gigs of salvageable file to be sent.
Ex. You shot a few video pics at a party. You want to share one of the videos and most sms will downsize the file. Samsung will allow you to send up to 2gigs of video at 2k quality or whatever image pixel size you used.
Excellent feature but the way

1. Take a 60min. Video
2. Click on video
3. Share by link sharing
4. Select party
5. Happy happy

The other party will just click on link sharing when they get the video, and the beautiful thing is, the quality of the video is still in tact.

Remains in cloud 48 hours

The note 8 numero Uno