Keep Unlimited Data with Cheaper Upgrades than Full Retail

Cares

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
I just thought of this.

I'm on a 4 person family plan all with unlimited data. The 3 other people are willing to give up unlimited but I'm not. I'm willing to pay full price for my phone but I figured out a way to get it for cheaper.

Open a 5th line for $9.99 per month. Use this line's upgrade every 20 months. Swap the upgraded phone with a spare feature phone.

$9.99 x 20 (cost to maintain 5th line) = $200
$250 (subsidized phone after taxes)
= $450

Paying $450 vs $650 for full retail would be a $200 savings. Better than nothing right?

Droid3r

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
Doesnt upgrading at a discount means 30-40$ for phone then 1gb for 50 bucks?

Losing unlimited for me is not an option. Over 20 months i save money by buying at retail pricing then upgrading contract( promotion over + limited data)

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

thirsy1258

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
I just thought of this.

I'm on a 4 person family plan all with unlimited data. The 3 other people are willing to give up unlimited but I'm not. I'm willing to pay full price for my phone but I figured out a way to get it for cheaper.

Open a 5th line for $9.99 per month. Use this line's upgrade every 20 months. Swap the upgraded phone with a spare feature phone.

= $450

Paying $450 vs $650 for full retail would be a $200 savings. Better than nothing right?

But won't when you upgrade to a smart phone they charge that line $30 for the data? I was thinking of doing this as I will have a similar issue with four smart phones and I'm the only one that needs unlimited.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

hazyshd

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Yes, but once you swap the new phone to your line, you just drop the spare crap phone back onto the 'upgrade line' and remove the data.

Edit: I'm considering this myself. I just don't have any old non-smartphone verizon phones.

albokay

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
This is what im doing. I have 2 basic lines already that never upgrade. I just upgrade one of those with a phone I want then reactivate the old basic phone back on that line leaving the smart phone with no number. Put my sim card in that and I have unlimited data and a phone I didnt pay full retail for. A bit of a pain and im sure ill get dirty looks from the sales rep but keeping unlimited is worth it.

zrxoa1

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
After the 28th, this process won't work. I have done this for years. But basic phones will be $30+ fees after the 28th. And to be honest, current 9.99 lines are actually $15 with fees and taxes.

--------------------------------------------------
There is a clause in the contract which specifically states any systematized transmission indicating a possible intelligent origin must be investigated. --Ash

Reactions: paul-c

kulkaholic

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I just thought of this.

= $450

I see what your saying but Verizon is perfectly aware of this and I would bet that they will squash this practice on old plans. Verizon lets you do this as an option, it is not a contract stipulation so they can change this at any time.

paul-c

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
After the 28th, this process won't work. I have done this for years. But basic phones will be $30+ fees after the 28th. And to be honest, current 9.99 lines are actually $15 with fees and taxes.

--------------------------------------------------
There is a clause in the contract which specifically states any systematized transmission indicating a possible intelligent origin must be investigated. --Ash

Yeah, it actually costs me around $20 after taxes on the extra line I have. I'm probably just going to kill it when the contract is over, because I just don't see Verizon letting this practice slide anymore.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I just thought of this.

= $450

It also assumes that the only place you're going to buy your next phone is through Verizon.

GNex Girl

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
If you get a subsidized phone using any line in a family plan, that forces all of the phones on that family plan to Share Everything.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
If you get a subsidized phone using any line in a family plan, that forces all of the phones on that family plan to Share Everything.

No it doesn't.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

thirsy1258

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
No it doesn't.

That's what I was told today so by a rep. If one of the four lines upgrades u all go. How else would they split the bill or the lines?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
That's what I was told today so by a rep. If one of the four lines upgrades u all go. How else would they split the bill or the lines?

The line that's upgrading can switch to their current tiered data plan.

Cares

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
Too much incorrect information being spread around. You are not forced into Share Everything plans as existing customers. Question is if new customers will have an option. I'm hearing yes and no from various Verizon reps.

Brickz187

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
I work at best buy mobile and our vzw rep basically told us all existing customers are grandfathered in for now. On the 28th, unlimited data is gone unless you provide the phone. Any existing customer can add a line to their account and keep that plan. However, in 2 years when you upgrade, they will probably try to switch you over to the new plans. The plan is to get everyone on a smart phone and to get everyone on these plans. Little by little it will happen. Honestly instead of trying to do work arounds, I would just suggest leaving. Sooner or later they WILL force this on you. It sucks and I know a few customers who are already thinking of leaving.

KeithF40#AC

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
this will not work. when you upgrade the phone you will have to keep that line open. you will nto be able to pay 10 a month you will be forced to put that line on a share everything plan which is 40 min(one free dumb phone meaning no 30 dollar fee). or you can get a standard indiv plan at 40 a month. so 40 plus taxes over 2 years.

i thought of this as well before all the info came out. no dice bro.

johnriii

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I work at best buy mobile and our vzw rep basically told us all existing customers are grandfathered in for now. On the 28th, unlimited data is gone unless you provide the phone. Any existing customer can add a line to their account and keep that plan. However, in 2 years when you upgrade, they will probably try to switch you over to the new plans. The plan is to get everyone on a smart phone and to get everyone on these plans. Little by little it will happen. Honestly instead of trying to do work arounds, I would just suggest leaving. Sooner or later they WILL force this on you. It sucks and I know a few customers who are already thinking of leaving.

I agree with this 100%. mark my words: no matter WHICH carrier you go to, you WILL have to eventually give up unlimited data. I seriously thought about buy my two phones outright to keep my unlimited data (12 months from now), but seriously, how ridiculous is spending $600 dollars for ANYTHING that should cost around $200?? I have already given in to the fact that the carriers WILL get what they want, if YOU want to utilize their services. there is no tricky workaround that they won't see coming. they have too many eyeballs on their bottom line to let us find a loophole that we could ALL take advantage of. the truth of the matter is this: we are going to have to relearn and discipline ourselves from our extreme data usage, or pay the insane prices for going over our limits. it's that simple. the sad part is, they know MOST of us can't do it. they're BANKING on our lack of discipline. I have unlimited for the next 13 months, and I'm already "training" myself to watch my data usage. it's hard, but this is the only option. either that, or get rid of the smartphone forever.
(stepping down from soapbox now ;) )

Cares

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
this will not work. when you upgrade the phone you will have to keep that line open. you will nto be able to pay 10 a month you will be forced to put that line on a share everything plan which is 40 min(one free dumb phone meaning no 30 dollar fee). or you can get a standard indiv plan at 40 a month. so 40 plus taxes over 2 years.

i thought of this as well before all the info came out. no dice bro.

No...please re-read the policy. You will not be forced into Share Everything.

Reactions: Ry

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Martin_Markov