Keeping Unlimited AND upgrading to the GS3 on VZW possible?

Hand_O_Death

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
We have 3 smartphones on a family plan (GN, TB, and D4), all have unlimited data.

The Mrs has an HTC Thunderbolt (won here btw, thanks again guys). Now with the grandfathered unlimited going away starting 6/28/12, and the Samsung Galaxy S 3 on "Pre-Order" and shipping 7/9/12, could she Preorder the phone now and receive it on 7/9 and STILL keep unlimited since the purchase would be now or will VZW do the D-Bag thing and wait until 7/9 and then change her over and kick her out of my family plan, removing her unlimited data?

And yes, I realize buying off contract is always an option, I am not rich, and would just like to use the upgrade before we never use it again to just keep unlimited lol. If this does not work out I will probably just give her the option of the Razr MAXX or live with the Bolt.

Thank you for any helpful input.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
We have 3 smartphones on a family plan (GN, TB, and D4), all have unlimited data.

The Mrs has an HTC Thunderbolt (won here btw, thanks again guys). Now with the grandfathered unlimited going away starting 6/28/12, and the Samsung Galaxy S 3 on "Pre-Order" and shipping 7/9/12, could she Preorder the phone now and receive it on 7/9 and STILL keep unlimited since the purchase would be now or will VZW do the D-Bag thing and wait until 7/9 and then change her over and kick her out of my family plan, removing her unlimited data?

And yes, I realize buying off contract is always an option, I am not rich, and would just like to use the upgrade before we never use it again to just keep unlimited lol. If this does not work out I will probably just give her the option of the Razr MAXX or live with the Bolt.

Thank you for any helpful input.

As far as I know, pre-ordering "locks" your plan. You have to choose the plan in order to pre-order. When the phone is activated, that's the plan that it will be activated under.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

Hand_O_Death

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
That is awesome guys thank you all, I will pre order the Wife's and lock in and she will then have a newer phone than me again.

Not that I mind, I like my GN personally.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cloud Himalaya