Question Keeping US number overseas

Bongo

May 20, 2024
Visit site
Hi folks. Looking for some advice. I live in Europe. I had Google Fi but they abrubtly suspended my service because I do not predominantly use my phone in the US, so I do not meet their policy requirements (the fact that they made an exception to policy and signed me up knowing that I live overseas, then five months later decided to shut down my service is another story). Nonetheless, here I am with no mobile data. I need to maintain my US number to get code text verfications and maintain comms on Signal and Whatsapp. Is there a way to port my number to a virtual phone so I can keep those apps to the same numbers, and also receive verfication texts? If so, any recommendations on a carrier or service?

Is there another way? For example, does T-mobile offer an e-SIM that allows me to keep my US number so I can maintain my apps but only receive text verificaitons?

Thank you for whatever insights you can offer!

smvim

May 16, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, with a U.S. carrier you're pretty much stuck with paying for a combined package of phone calls, text messaging, and mobile data, no matter if you actually use one or all three services.
I'm not aware there is a U.S. carrier that sells only text-only plans, at least as far as adding in an international usage plan. There are independent text messaging services but a carrier-based texting-only plan is harder to find.

I'll suggest you look into Mint Mobile. It's a MVNO that's contracted to use T-Mobile's cellular network, and it supports SIM cards and eSIMs. MVNO carriers often provide the same service as the big carriers with a discounted price. Mint Mobile touts its $15 (approximately 14 Euros) per month plan, but note that's based on a minimum of 3 months plan. It's a stable MVNO with a seven year history so it's not just a bargain-bin company. It was recently bought up by T-Mobile.

As a side-note, Signal recently dropped the requirement for a phone number to be a user identifier. Now it's possible to use just a user name. (caveat is a valid phone number is still necessary to set up a Signal account.)

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central forums. A quick Google search showed this answer. I did not read the article fully but it sounded simple enough.

Let us know what you think.

I've tried several times to post a link that takes you to the beginning of the article but they all take you to the end of it. My bad.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aleksandr