Kernels, Roms and Apps

BigSwoe

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Sorry for the newbie question but here goes...

When flashing kernels, roms, etc. I assume that any installed applications go away. If I'm incorrect let me know but I don't see how they would still be there. Anyway, does Titanium backup allow me to easily put my apps back on after a flash or do I have to go back to the market and install all over again?

Not that I have a ton of apps but want to know what I am getting into.

kapsiakchris

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
If I may add to this question as I am a newbie myself, would you really want to use titanium, for instance I download a superclean rom and then pull my titanium backup which is going to have all my bloat ware and junk, will it not just put that all back on my superclean rom thus defeating the point?

JaeKar99

Oct 2, 2010
Visit site
Ti Backup is a fantastic application backing up and for restoring applications.

First and foremost become familiar with the 'Batch' operation for Restoring User Apps with data..... NOT all missing applications.. that will install bloatware or apps.

You can completely be selective of what you restore.

Also... Flashing a kernel does not require clearing cache or wipe of the phone. Flashing a ROM does not require a cache clear and phone wipe either but there are some serious complications if you do not. Given you become familiar with Ti BU you can restore you phone with new ROM/Kernel to where it was in less than 30 minutes..

I put EB01 on my phone this am and had all apps restored in less than 15 minutes.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigSwoe

Sta11i0n

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Sorry for the newbie question but here goes...

When flashing kernels, roms, etc. I assume that any installed applications go away. If I'm incorrect let me know but I don't see how they would still be there. Anyway, does Titanium backup allow me to easily put my apps back on after a flash or do I have to go back to the market and install all over again?

Not that I have a ton of apps but want to know what I am getting into.

When installing them, you don't always lose everything. For kernels, a data wipe is not necessary. For entire ROMs, it is recommended that you wipe all your data before installing it just to prevent any issues that may arise from data still being on your phone from whatever ROM you previously had. You can go ahead with an install without wiping if you choose (I have done so myself a few times) but if you have problems such as force closes and other errors, it's usually from not wiping data/cache. One could almost say, Titanium Backup is made/required for people who do these things. Before making any changes to your phone, make a backup. Therefore, after you're up and running with your new ROM, all you need to do is download Titanium Backup from the market again, and restore everything with it. It will make a folder on your SD card with all the data it needs to reinstall everything.

If I may add to this question as I am a newbie myself, would you really want to use titanium, for instance I download a superclean rom and then pull my titanium backup which is going to have all my bloat ware and junk, will it not just put that all back on my superclean rom thus defeating the point?

That would just depend on what you choose to backup in Titanium. You can choose what you'd like to keep manually, or there are many batch options as well aside from copying everything including bloatware. The method I prefer to do is a batch operation to only backup user installed apps, then to manually backup anything in the list that is green which are your settings and preferences. Any other apps that are on the phone, are installed with the ROM you choose.

Reactions: BigSwoe