Keypad Disappears When On A Phone Call

FiliGoddess

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
Can someone tell me why (or even better - How To Resolve) the keypad disappears while I'm on a phone call and need to use the keypad for any particular reason? :mad: It's quite frustration you can't "Press 1" for this or that for example. The keypad is either flashing as I tilt it or remove from my face or it simply just disappears to a black screen whereby a press of the side power button or the bottom wake button makes NO difference on the screen coming back to view the keypad. Hope this makes sense! It's Sunday so I don't think Sprint Service Stores can resolve this issue today. IDK.

Last edited:

dhduvall

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
When a call is ongoing, there should be six large buttons at the bottom of the screen. The top center button is labeled "keypad". If you hit that, the top half of the screen where the contact's picture normally is becomes the keypad. At least for me; perhaps there's something that's preventing the keypad from displaying when you hit that button?

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
one person say prox sensor where is that???
See the two little holes just to the right of the SAMSUNG logo on the front of the phone? That's where the proximity sensor is. If you have a poorly aligned screen protector or case it can cause havoc.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

dominick

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
same problem here,,,where do you go to turn on proximity settings

on 4.4:

1. settings
2. my device tab
3. call
4. Turn off screen during calls = check box

note: if you don't do this, you run the risk of face-dialing... or talking into your phone like you're eating a slice of pizza.

Lllamaman

Aug 14, 2019
Visit site
Try using the keypad with one finger pointed, instead of an open hand.

If you look closely at the phone, on the screen side there are two dots to the right of the Samsung logo. Those are the proximity sensor. If any part of your hand gets too close to those while you are using the keypad, it will think your face is close by.

My partner was using an open hand to push the keypad buttons; her middle and ring finger would sometimes get close to the proximity sensor and shut off the screen. Using a pointed finger solves this problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rootje