Keys "Sticking" and Lags in Typing

jtphenom

May 27, 2013
Visit site
Hi folks,

I just bought the S4 on Friday. I love the phone overall. This is my first smartphone! I decided it was about time I come into the 21st century. lol

Anyway, when I'm typing messages, a lot of the time, it will stick on a letter and input the symbol on that letter instead. Or I may type 4 or 5 words quickly and it will hang up on a letter in the 1st or 2nd word. Another issue is that sometimes I'll hit backspace 2 or 3 times to get rid of a couple letters, and it will erase 4 or 5 words or even a whole sentence or paragraph! That's probably the backspace key "sticking." I tried resetting to factory defaults and it worked fine for a few hours after that, but then started doing it again.

I took it back to the local Verizon store and it could not reproduce the issue. Then I went back out to my car and it did it right away. Back into the store and it stopped again!

So here are my questions.

1. Anyone else having this problem or know anyone who is?
2. Anyone have any suggestions about how this might get fixed?
3. For anyone with Verizon experience, do you know if, in that 14-day period, you can just request to have the phone replaced with the same exact model and they will do it for you? If they WILL do it, do you have to prove that something is wrong with it, or will they do it with no questions asked?

Thanks for any and all help!

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Hello...

Have you tried letting some friends or family use the phone to see how they do typing on it? Not to put the blame on you but it this could just be user related, getting used to the keyboard and feel of it.

You can also mess around and try some 3rd party keyboards and see how you like them. Swype & Swiftkey to name a few.

Kedar

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Quite a few people do report lag on the stock keyboard.
Have you tried a few other ones? I swear by Swiftkey (as do many many others). Try to give that a try!

And maybe try a hard reset? That can usually solve some problems (turning phone off, taking out battery, replacing battery, and turning phone back on).

john_v

Q&A Team
Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
You could also go into Settings and try changing the tap and hold length. Maybe setting it to a longer time would avoid the alternate characters.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1369679143294.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1369679143294.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 86

jtphenom

May 27, 2013
Visit site
Re: Keys "Sticking" and Lags in Typing

Hi folks. I have tried a hard reset, tried using Swiftkey, and my buddy, who just got the exact same phone, tried typing on mine and had the same issue. He said "DUDE! What's wrong with your phone??" lol

- - - Updated - - -

You could also go into Settings and try changing the tap and hold length. Maybe setting it to a longer time would avoid the alternate characters.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Will try that now. Thanks.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site

Interested in hearing the outcome of the suggestion.

tohio

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site

Hi folks. I have tried a hard reset, tried using Swiftkey, and my buddy, who just got the exact same phone, tried typing on mine and had the same issue. He said "DUDE! What's wrong with your phone??" lol

- - - Updated - - -

Will try that now. Thanks.

Since you seem to be the only person in the entire Android universe who has this problem why not take the phone back and get another one under warranty?

tohio

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site

Why all the bile?

First of all why do you care? Secondly, have you seen anyone else have this problem? He needs to know that his problem is not common and it is probably a hardware or OS problem. Taking the phone back is the easiest solution.

Gathomblipoob

May 6, 2010
Visit site

First of all why do you care? Secondly, have you seen anyone else have this problem? He needs to know that his problem is not common and it is probably a hardware or OS problem. Taking the phone back is the easiest solution.

Actually, I have.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site

Yeah, I have. My daughter has the S4 and it does the same thing. Problem?

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Lets remember to be respectful to each other and keep the conversation civil. This forum is here for people to come and discuss their android experiences, there is no need to attack anyone for experiencing a problem.
Thanks.

Jennifer

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums

tohio

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site

Yeah, I have. My daughter has the S4 and it does the same thing. Problem?

Gator, did you post this issue on AC? I did a search for others having this problem and found none. Google doesn't report an issue with this either. That's why I said this guy is probably alone with this issue. Did you fix your keyboard issue on your daughter's phone or did you take it back?

Gathomblipoob

May 6, 2010
Visit site

Can you provide me with some sort of reference or site for this sticking keyboard issue that you have seen. I honestly can't find it anywhere.

Not beyond several forum posts I've read regarding the issue. And as they're spread among several forums, I can't remember exactly where they're located.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site

Gator, did you post this issue on AC? I did a search for others having this problem and found none. Google doesn't report an issue with this either. That's why I said this guy is probably alone with this issue. Did you fix your keyboard issue on your daughter's phone or did you take it back?

The only place I have read about is here on AC. Yes, there are threads (or comments in threads) about this issue. Actually, I just disabled the stock keyboard and enabled swipe which fixed the problem.

Edit:

Here ya go. A simple Google search found what your looking for....

https://www.google.com/search?q=key...e7&rls=com.microsoft:en-US:IE-Address&ie=&oe=

tohio

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site

The only place I have read about is here on AC. Yes, there are threads (or comments in threads) about this issue. Actually, I just disabled the stock keyboard and enabled swipe which fixed the problem.

Edit:

Here ya go. A simple Google search found what your looking for....

https://www.google.com/search?q=key...e7&rls=com.microsoft:en-US:IE-Address&ie=&oe=

Actually that Google cite is lag and letters not appearing not sticking. The OP has a problem with "...it will stick on a letter and input the symbol on that letter instead. Or I may type 4 or 5 words quickly and it will hang up on a letter in the 1st or 2nd word. Another issue is that sometimes I'll hit backspace 2 or 3 times to get rid of a couple letters, and it will erase 4 or 5 words or even a whole sentence or paragraph! That's probably the backspace key "sticking." I tried resetting to factory defaults and it worked fine for a few hours after that, but then started doing it again."

Still haven't found anything about keys sticking.

Gathomblipoob

May 6, 2010
Visit site

Too bad that you can't remember where you say it.

Sorry I can't satisfy your need. I did Google the issue and also found several references to the problem. I didn't realize it was so important to people. I just meant to say that the issue has been reported by literally more than one person.

tohio

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site

Sorry I can't satisfy your need. I did Google the issue and also found several references to the problem. I didn't realize it was so important to people. I just meant to say that the issue has been reported by literally more than one person.

You don't have to satisfy anything for me. You said you saw reports of S4 keyboards sticking. I can't find any. I just wanted to know where those reports appeared. Now you cite Google as having several references to the issue. Again I can't find any. Are you talking about keyboard lag or keyboard sticking? Lag is not the OP's issue. If you have the time and inclination could you cite me the Google reference to keyboard sticking? I would appreciate it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
one01