Late-nite Sprint Kyocera Echo Q&A

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Let's try something different. I was at the event tonight. I touched the phone. I used the phone. And I'll answer you questions here as long as I'm up tonight. So ask quick.

mib12890

Nov 18, 2010
twitter.com
do you really feel this design was a positive idea, which may just work or just some flacid attempt from a company to get into the android business?

enzofall

Aug 12, 2010
www.youtube.com
How do non optimized apps, such a lets say fruit ninja, play out when its in full display mode? Does the bezel take away from the quality of the app?

Clipp

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
If it had a dual-core processor and was considered "blazing fast," would most feel differently about the dual-screen design? The 1GHz Snapdragon seems to be this phone's downfall.

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
A 1375 battery for a dual screen phone??!! (Please tell me I mis-heard) I'm amazed that it lasted through the demo! ;)

But seriously, were the screen locks as bad as the video showed? Was the bezel as distracting in "full screen" mode as it appeared? I can't imagine watching video or reading web sites that way. The distraction would be too much.

I did like the way you could set up multiple browsers and separate controls from the app in the dual screen mode. However, 5 minutes of video is not like using it yourself - what's your take about how this actually works?

Phil Nickinson

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
do you really feel this design was a positive idea, which may just work or just some flacid attempt from a company to get into the android business?

Definitely not a "flaccid" attempt. They're swinging for the fences. But when you do that, you get a lot of strikeouts, too.

Phil Nickinson

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
How do non optimized apps, such a lets say fruit ninja, play out when its in full display mode? Does the bezel take away from the quality of the app?

Apps aren't necessarily optimized for it (but that's a good question, and I'll ask it tomorrow). But it definitely distracted while while watching video.

Reactions: enzofall

Phil Nickinson

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
But seriously, were the screen locks as bad as the video showed? Was the bezel as distracting in "full screen" mode as it appeared? I can't imagine watching video or reading web sites that way. The distraction would be too much.

However, 5 minutes of video is not like using it yourself - what's your take about how this actually works?

In fairness, it's not production hardware yet. So let's withhold judgment on the screen locks. I'll have more time with it on Tuesday.

Phil Nickinson

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
If it had a dual-core processor and was considered "blazing fast," would most feel differently about the dual-screen design? The 1GHz Snapdragon seems to be this phone's downfall.

Yeah. I'm a little worried about that. Not saying it won't work. But will it work well enough to overcome the novelty factor?

enzofall

Aug 12, 2010
www.youtube.com
Apps aren't necessarily optimized for it (but that's a good question, and I'll ask it tomorrow). But it definitely distracted while while watching video.

Thanks Phil, I was watching the live-blog and i saw they said the bezel was very small. By the looks of the pictures it seems on the contrary. This device is seeming to be more for shock-and-awe factor rather than anything else...

Bujin#IM

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
If Sprint doesn't come up with a high-end device by summer, is there any compelling reason for someone to switch from the EVO or Epic?

Mattykinsx

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
How much of that little battery for those two big screens did you use while playing with it for a few minutes?
25%?

No, really...it's a serious question.

vertebra

Oct 30, 2010
Visit site
If nothing else I like that the manufacturers are taking risks and not just delivering us another slab but honestly do you think this device warranted this much publicity?

iBowToAndroid

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
I'm a Sprint sales rep... Will the Echo bring giant commission checks, or sit in the stock room like the Zio?

I am too. And I don't think they'll even make it to the stockroom. At least the Zio remotely resembles a phone to the point where it can be out on the floor and take up a spot lol. I smell a KIN-esque fail here.

If Sprint doesn't come up with a high-end device by summer, is there any compelling reason for someone to switch from the EVO or Epic?

Hell no. And don't worry, they will ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xenomorf